Jets releasing Eric Decker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Garrison Nauman, Jun 6, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Your kidding right? If this is true, I am glad he's cut from the team, and that's about Kaepernick the PLAYER, not the person.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Three years is enough to judge a HC if he has shown no signs of learning, growth, or development and is still doing things the same way, making the same mistakes. So far that is the case with Bowles. If he doesn't show clear signs of changing, growing, improving this season, there is zero reason he should be back as HC in 2018.

sec314 likes this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think he showed enough in year one and two to have been fired already. He benefited from a weak schedule and some fortunate bounces in 15 but was still a poor coach, last year he regressed, the only positive I see is his admitting his faults this off season. And a willingness to change. If that will happen,and what effect it has remains to be seen.
    I still think he finishes his contract unless he gets even worse this season. There are other factors that will come into play. If Hack looks good do we throw a fifth offense at him in five years. If Bowles goes so does the entire staff. Too much turnover is not a good thing. Especially when trying to build chemistry and develop young players.
    I like the staff coming into the season and am hopeful Bowles can improve.

4. NCJetsfan

Just because Bowles would be fired, doesn't necessarily mean that the systems would have to change or that some of the current position coaches might not be retained. On D, since they play both 4-3 and 3-4 looks, the system may not matter that much. Some think we ought to transition to a 4-3 anyway. If the Jets' offense works well this season, the new HC could opt to keep Morton. Even if not, as long as he utilized the WCO, there shouldn't be too much of a transition. IMO that's what has hurt the Jets the most over the years. It wasn't firing the HCs per se, but rather that every single time they did, the systems changed, and then the roster had to be turned over to fit the new HC's systems. For once, the Jets could do things the right way and hire a HC who was flexible and how utilized systems that fit the team's talent rather than trying to force square pegs into round holes.

I am hopeful that Bowles can improve as well, but am not holding my breath. I didn't see him admit his shortcomings. He sure hasn't in terms of holding players accountable and maintaining discipline. If he has with his other shortcomings, good for him, but as you said, that doesn't mean he will actually be able to change. I like the CS too with the exception of Bowles & Rodgers, and possibly the STs coach.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

of course not but he's been in the league 7 years and prior to last season only missed 4 games in the previous 6 years. he's far from an injury risk

6. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I think starting over with just about all new coaches shows he at least recognized there was a problem with coaching... other then taht I am with you... hope the light goes on.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He is a very big injury risk now, coming off missing the majority of the last season and having surgery on two different things, it matters not a jot that he was healthy for the previous seven years, now he needs to get a full season back under his belt to prove he isn't but to teams he is a risky proposition on the injury front, not on the talent front.

8. GasedAndConfused

It was a shoulder injury for a WR. not like he blew out his ACL or broke his ankle. That's not an injury risk at all. There isn't a NFL team that would consider him an injury risk. Hell drew brees blew out his throwing shoulder and still landed a major deal in free agency. Teams look at history too. it's easy to tell the diference in a dee milliner or devin smith compared to an eric decker.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

And a hip injury.

Look I don't want to see him injured to win some internet argument, I hope he goes on and does well somewhere else, fwiw I would have kept him to lead the young WR corps but then I am not in charge but I am also not up in arms at him being released.

10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

This needed to happens, so did david harris, so did Marshall. This team had some underachieving vets who needed to go. We all knew this. They shoulda started purging years ago honestly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

I wish him the best for sure. i'm just saying the chances of his injury reactivating id pretty dam slim. and in the NFL every player is 1 play away from a major injury. There is nothing with decker to scare anyone off. hell leon washington never missed a game in like 3 years then bam broken leg and never was the same. There is no such thing as a player who can't get injured. Decker doesn't have a history of injuries and he isn't old. He'll do fine wherever he winds up. as long as it's not NE i'll root for him

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

You're right. Teams do look at injury history and speaking of a "broken ankle" etc; Eric Decker's senior season in college was cut short due to surgery in which he underwent to repair torn ligament(s) in his left foot.

Nonetheless that was back in 2009, but Decker is now attempting to return from a significant injury. A labrum tear in his shoulder in which required surgery.

Not only that but he also underwent hip surgery too. A hip replacement at that. Have you ever seen a dog with a bad hip? Let's just say that it's really not a nice sight to see.

Look. I wanted to ignore all of these things while Decker was still a Jet. But the reality of it all is that

A.) He's now a 30 year old receiver with a lot of wear & tear on his body.

B.) We now have two outstanding younger WR talents in Quincy Enunwa and Robby Anderson who are both only 25 & 24 years of age.

C.) And three younger prospects in Charone Peake out of Clemson as a second year player and two 3rd & 4th round rookies just drafted in ArDarius Stewart out of Alabama and Chad Hansen who's got great size & built just like Decker himself @ 6'2/225 lbs.

In closing it's a telling sign that even after Eric Decker grew up in Minnesota throughout his childhood days, went to high school in Minny and also played college football at the University of Minnesota; that not even his hometown team in the Minnesota Vikings seem to be interested in bringing him home.

Now a team like the Baltimore Ravens? They're desperate for WR's and at this point; willing to accept anything.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

our main point in trading him is going younger and cheaper. so anything in return is just a bonus. I'm not against trading him, but i'm sure he'll have a great year wherever he winds up. Minn has some talented young WRs as well. diggs and thielen are young and talented and have had some huge games. Wright has some potential and is a playmaker and they grabbed floyd. He's not a great fit for them. as you said a team like the ravens could bring him in. or even the browns or niners. there are plenty of teams that could use a good veteran WR

I'm excited for this season to see what the young guys can do. best case we have a couple of studs. I think enunwa can be a number 1 in this league and anderson is a great deep threat. hopefully he can round out his game. stewart seems like a good slot guy, reminds me of kerly. peake has potential as well and we drafted another WR besides stewart. plus amrshil will be back game 5 and has potential. Lets see what they can do. Worse case they suck but we got a high pick, land a franchise QB and have a ton of money to spend next year. and plenty of picks to rebuild the offense and we can keep sheldon now with the money we have on hand. our defense should be much approved. it's younger and faster. clayborne was a great pick up, our d-line should be dominent and we have 2 new high pick safeties.

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

[​IMG]

I really like both of Peake out of Clemson and ArDarius out of Bama as receiver prospects, but Chad Hansen drafted out of the 4th round from CAL is (by fa) my favorite one of them all.

During only his second season of playing time as a Junior this kid balled the fk out in 2016 while ranking 12th in the Nation with 92 receptions, 17th in the Country with 1,249 receiving yards and 22nd ovetall with 11 TD receptions.

Not bad for only a second year player with little experience heading into 2016. Not bad at all to average 9.2 receptions, 124.9 receiving yards and 1.1 TD's per game throughout 10 games.

Cal ranked 6th in the Nation in passing offense and Hansen was by far their #1 weapon while leading his team and ranking 1st in receptions, receiving yards and TD receptions.

These numbers are the numbers of a potential 4th round steal.

Just take a look at his highlights below. Yes. Highlights can make anyone "look good" but this kid was great on the field last year and these highlights are simply showing some of his big time plays.

He made so many NFL like receptions last year that it's not even funny while watching these highlights. He looks to be really, really good. With great size for the position too.

NYJetsO12 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

Any quality Head Coach who replaces Bowles will hire his own staff. Even if the new OC were a WC guy. The plays and terminology would change. Look at the top teams in the league and you will find one common denominator, rare coaching turn over. Look at the bottom feeders, Jets, Brown's and what is the common denominator? Constant turnover.
    This franchise is not attractive to quality coaches. Woody is seen as an owner who has no patience. That's why we end up with one unqualified, first time HC after another. Young roster still at least 3 years away from competing, an owner who will fire you in 2 -3 years. Who else but a first time HC would consider coming to replace Bowles?
    If you want, Google his early Pressers. He discussed his shortcomings and his intentions to change them. As far as Discipline and holding players accountable, I didn't like the alarm clock statement and that's putting it mildly. We don't know what he has been like in the locker room though and hopefully he has taken a firm stance on things.
    We won't know until the time comes to discipline a player. We will see how he responds. I can't make it any clearer, I don't like Bowles as a HC.
    I just think he is safe for this season and unless he fails to develop the young guys or looses the locker room, he will likely be back for his final year.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I saw the same story... I also agree with your sentiment..but I wanted something for him or keep..

Too bad Woody is in his greed mode again..

17. NCJetsfan

Yes, most HCs hire their own staffs, but what's to say that the Jets' next HC wouldn't know Morton, have worked with him at some point and want to keep him, or maybe the guy he wants isn't available and Morton is his 2nd choice? The odds may be small on that, but it's not impossible. I'm sure many of the plays are the same or very similar. Terminology would change, as I said in another post, but that's not like having to learn a whole new offense.

Other teams have rare coaching turnover because they have stability from the top down. They have quality owners who either know the game or are intelligent enough to know what they don't know and hire a football man to run the team. We don't have that. That, in a nutshell, is why probably any decent experienced HC would not want the Jets' job. He would demand that Woody totally stay out of things and not meddle, and unless there's another HC like Parcells that Woody covets, he won't do that.

I don't agree that Woody is seen as an owner who has no patience. He stuck with Tanny, Broadway and Rex for a long time. Even if he is seen that way, I don't think that's the reason why we end up with one unqualified, 1st-time HC after another. I think the reason is that the Jets' talent/roster is depleted thanks to Tanny and Idzik, they don't have a FQB, and they know that Woody is a complete effing doofus who meddles. We don't have an owner who will fire you in 2-3 years. Idzik and I believe Mangini are the only ones whom he has fired that quickly. Mangini had lost the team and had to go and that was what, 9 years ago? Idzik was only 3 years ago, but he was clearly unqualified and would have destroyed the talent level on the team so severely that the team most likely would have never recovered. He had an all time horrible draft in 2014. I don't think one HC or person in the NFL thinks that Woody is impatient and too quick to fire. That is even more true now that he listened to Mac and is doing a complete rebuild, and that he didn't fire Bowles after last season, when there was more than enough evidence and reason to kick him to the curb.

To be clear, it was not that I didn't believe you when you said that Bowles had discussed his shortcomings, I was just saying that I hadn't heard that. I will definitely google that to see what he says and sees as his weaknesses.

I agree that Bowles is safe for this season. If he was going to be fired, he would have been fired right after the season was over.

I do think that whether he gets to finish his contract will be contingent on how the team plays this season and if he shows that he is learning and improving. If Woody does fire Bowles following this season because he hasn't grown or improved and the team played in the same unprepared, sloppy fashion. I don't think any HC candidate would think that Woody was wrong for firing him. If either Petty or Hack prove to be the answer at QB this season, or if they don't and the Jets only win 1-3 games, but young players like Adams, Jenkins, Lee, the WR corps, and others develop and show that the team has a future with them, then I think the Jets HC job could be seen as a desireable one. The team will have a ton of cap space, they will have some excellent young players, and either have a FQB already on board, or have a top pick in next year's draft to get one.

18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Jets to resign Don Maynard

19. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

20. TonyFtLaud

With Maclin now off the market , Decker may actually have some value.
    The Ravens are still interested in him, the Bills are more desperate and the Eagles and 49s need WR help.
    Link regarding the Ravens :
    https://www.google.com/amp/profootb...-eric-decker-after-signing-jeremy-maclin/amp/