Could this be a fun year for the Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, May 1, 2017.

1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

To me, that's fun. I fully expect to have more fun watching the Jets this year than I have in a long time. There is little expectation of winning, and lots of room for competition on the roster--the Jets haven't been in that kind of healthy situation in a long time.

NYJetsO12, RPOZ51 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Did you not read my post correctly ?

I said it isn't all about selecting a QB with the number one pick, there is other talent to take and would favour trading back for two first round picks, and another for 2019 lol this will help us in our rebuild mode, ;)

BleedingGreen55 likes this.
  3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

it will be a low stress season as I will be expecting them to lose every game so if they do my expectations are met and if they win then they are exceeded - anyway we all know the jets will win 5 games and take themselves out of contention for any of the top tier QB prospects next year

RPOZ51 likes this.
  4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I don't feel like watching Hackenberg completely miss his targets like his three years of college and pre-season last year.

Unless Hack drastically improved and we don't know about it, I want to see what Petty can do with a competent OC. They only gave him two offensive strategies. Deep ball every throw (which is a high risk strategy) or extremely conservative (which pretty much results in no scores). He looked okay in the super conservative game but I think he still can be decent in a normal offense with health receivers and o-line.

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

did you read this article from a year ago? - https://www.profootballfocus.com/dr...ve-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg/ - not a fun read as a Jets fan.

6. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

We can trade the farm to move into #1. Unless #1 does not want to trade...

7. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

8. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

OK, sorry if I misread you. But we get a first round pick we can trade down for no matter what (we're not the Cheats!), so do you really want to sacrifice the team building aspect of a winning season for a marginal gain in trading down? What would we gain from trading down from the #1 position vs #15? I would rather build a tradition of winning no matter what than depend on the draft to save us.

Ron

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You may rather that, but imo it's totally unrealistic to think you're gonna build that winning tradition if you don't get a FQB. That's the name of the game in today's NFL. Perennially going 8-8, 7-9, 9-7 and/or 10/6 is not a winning tradition imo, but rather the very definition of mediocrity.

IMO the Jets have zero shot at getting to or winning a SB until they get a FQB, and they aren't gonna get one of those picking in the middle of the round unless they are VERY lucky, and as a longtime Jets fan, you know how often they get VERY lucky.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I have higher hopes in Hack than you do, but definitely agree with you regarding Petty. I still think he can be a quality starter.

11. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Im really not that worried about Hackenberg. He's not the answer, but it would be great to see some of these young bucks rock and roll.

12. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

But a 1-15 or 2-14 record means that this regime is gone, and everything begins again, unless you have Woody's word that that won't happen. I would much prefer that they go 7-9 - 9-7 and thereby show some competence than start over again AGAIN. Think Seattle.

Ron

13. NCJetsfan

I don't think that a 1-15 or 2-14 record necessarily means that they're gone. I don't think they'd have gotten rid of most of their veterans and be going with youth now unless Woody had signed off on it. Now he can be capricious, and could certainly change his mind, but even if he does, I don't think both would necessarily be gone.

I don't think the W-L record this season should or will have a bearing upon whether either Bowles or Mac is fired. The team can play hard, tough, and smart and still lose because of lesser talent. As long as the young players added to the team are playing well, are developing and the team is showing improvement, neither should be fired.

I think that if either of Mac and Bowles gets fired after this season, Bowles is the more likely of the two. IMO, if he doesn't clearly demonstrate that he has learned lessons from the last two years, is less conservative, shows much better game and clock management, and the team shows up prepared to play each and every week, he should be fired, regardless of the W-L record. Any locker room nonsense, any discipline issues or more sloppy play like last year, and I think Bowles is a goner. Even if Petty and/or Hack play the entire season, there would be no excuse for the issues of last year. Systems can be simplified so that players know their responsibilities and are able to execute them flawlessly or near flawlessly. HCs are expected to be able to manage the game and the clock, to make adjustments and get their teams ready to play. Stability is definitely needed, but there isn't stability unless things are working, players developing, problems being addressed/fixed, and the CS and GM demonstrate that they have learned from their mistakes and are growing in their jobs.

The only way I think that Mac would be fired following this season is if both Petty and Hack fall flat on their faces, and Maye proves to be a bust. Even that may not be enough if his previous draft picks start playing well, and 3 of the new players come in, start immediately and play at a pretty high level, and even the lower round picks are contributing.

#53 NCJetsfan, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    hwismer and Br4d like this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Not sure how fun, but I plan to watch the game film this season for the first time. Won't get the chance to watch live so I'll watch the game from all angles sometime during the week. Should keep things interesting for me, at least.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

No pretensions about the Playoffs. No over-the-top expectations about the record. No nonsense about this team being a contender. As a Jet Fan, this might sound bleak but its exactly the opposite. Its sweet music to a team long overdue for a complete hot water enema and a fanbase that's been begging for the organization to do that.

Br4d and RPOZ51 like this.
  16. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I think I can enjoy this season, as long as I get the feeling that the young guys are giving effort, and learning.

As you said, I won't be worrying about wins. The number of wins will be irrelevant anyway. I may even root against a win, if it means messing up draft position.

17. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

If Hack is the QB and the Jets win 7-9, I'd be very happy because it probably means he did a very good job and could very well be the Jets QB of the future.

18. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

After his freshman year he was regarded as a future high 1st rounder. The next three years, the O-line at Penn state sucked, and the overall talent was not good. I, for one am looking forward to see what he can do. It's not like he has been around for years with nothing to show for it. He wasn't starting last year under any circumstances.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It's a no expectations year, so for those who like to see players develop, this will be an enjoyable season.

The casual Jets fan will root for their alternate team all season (like they normally do) because the Jets should be 4-12.

With this in mind, I believe short of Hackenberg taking the Jets to the AFC championship game (with 67%+ completions and a 3-1 TD/INT ratio), the Jets should plan to draft a QB in Round 1 no matter what.

20. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

My question is even IF they fix his mechanics, after he gets hit hard once, will he revert back to the Penn State era of happy feet and looking at the rush?