Say what you want, but jets should go offense with the 1st pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 10, 2017.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

If Scott and the can't wait defense didn't wait until the second half vs Pitt to show up, we would have gotten to the Super bowl. Guess he meant , can wait.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  2. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Yep. QB and the trenches. Has always been the case. Need a QB, need to protect the QB, need to get to the opposing QB. Part of protecting the QB if we can't get one right now or viable tackle now is a RB that can keep defenses honest which is why I'd take Fournette. If there was a legit top 5 tackle would go with tackle and if there were better QBs I'd go with the QB.

westiedog1 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  3. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I would agree with this 100% except for the fact that we have a top draft pick. None of the offensive players are worth the #6 pick imo. As i've said before I hope we can trade down to the middle teens- and maybe grab a receiver.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

fournette is graded as the 2nd best player in the draft behind garrett, how is the 2nd best player in the draft not worth taking at 6?

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

1. He's a RB which given there longevity and plug and play ability should be the last piece to a rebuild, not the first.

2. Questions about his desire

3. Lingering ankle issues and has missed a lot of time in college.

Howard is very much worth the 6th pick and while it's debatable If any of the QBs are worth the 6th pick, given our situation at the position and the importance of the position we should be seriously exploring that option.

JohnnyP123456 and FJF like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Your first point is valid...in MOST situations. But with a team like the Jets, with no decent QB in place, or any other offensive weapons in place, somebody like a Fournette - a RB who can make his own holes, and bust any play to the house makes sense. He would take a huge amount of pressure off whoever the QB is, and if he only lasts 3-4 years, and performs at that high level for most of it, that gives the QB and the rest of the team time to grow up around him, at which point - if he is in fact "done" - you can then sign your "plug and play RB" and the offense keeps humming along.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  7. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Last time the Jets had a top 5 offense... 1998
    Last time the Jets had a top 16 offense two seasons in a row... 1990 (16) & 1991 (6)
    Last time the Jets had a top 10 offense two seasons in a row... 1968 (4) & 1969 (7)
    Last time the Jets had the #1 offense in the NFL... 1967

So yes, it would be nice to have a top offense (with some consistency over multiple years) for once during my lifetime.

8. ColoradoContrails

WOW! A great illustration of what is at the root of failure for this franchise for decades!

9. GasedAndConfused

If trib falls to 6, I'm all for taking the QB given our dire need for a FQB.
    as far as fournette goes, i never heard issues about his desire, he hans't had lingering ankle issues. he had some last eyar and is still expected to go top 6. Yes RB isn't the most important position by any means, but a good RB will take a lot of pressure off a young QB. a guy like fournette will make the defense play with 8 in the box and open up the pass game. he can draw enough attention just being out there to help out WRs and QB and offense as a whole. and our offense needs all the help it can get.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

That's where I'm going to disagree with you as far as Fournette as a prospect. Fournette was never one to make something happen when the offensive line wasn't giving him holes to run through, which is why Alabama shut him down two years in a row (the same Alabama team that Ezekiel Elliot was unstoppable against). The Alabama O-line bullied the LSU offensive line and Fournette didn't manage to get to the second level. Fournette is deadly once he makes it to the second level because he's as big as the linebackers and as fast as most DBs.

Fournette is a Steven Jackson clone (actually Jackson had a better 40 time and vertical jump) if you want a good NFL comparison.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

As bad as the Jets OL is, they're still better than LSU's. Also, LSU had no one at all besides Fournette. Again, as weak as the Jets QB situation is, the offense projects to be better than LSU's.

The most widely used comparison to Fournette is Peterson, and I think that's closer to the mark.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  12. JohnnyP123456

According to whom? Most of the draft boards I have seen have him at around #10. Second, Running backs have a very short shell life. We can easily find a back in the later rounds/UDFA who could have similar production levels. Especially with the Jets current scenario where we have 2 "starter" backs currently on the roster, could we afford a third.
    BTW- If our first was in the early teens I would have less of a problem with taking him. It is just with this draft we can easily get a "long-term" piece that can start from day one in a position in more need(like #1WR or on the defensive side of the ball)

13. GasedAndConfused

NFL.com has him graded as a 6.9 only higher grade is garrett at a 7.6
    9.00-10 Once-in-lifetime player
    8.00-9.00 Perennial All-Pro
    7.50-7.99 Future All-Pro
    7.00-7.49 Pro Bowl to All-Pro Ability
    6.50-6.99 Good NFL Starter with Pro Bowl Potential
    6.00-6.49 Chance to become good NFL starter
    5.70-5.99 Could become early NFL starter
    5.30-5.69 Backup or eventual starter
    5.15-5.29 Developmental prospect or special teams potential
    5.01-5.14 Back end of the roster
    5.00 50/50 Chance of making the roster

14. DSL97

DSL97 Member

It's funny how we try and make a "Splash" in the draft by picking offense in the 2nd round, but all our 2nd round offensive picks have sucked BAD. We should just trade away our 2nd round pick at this point and select O in 1st round.

15. ColoradoContrails

Aside from a QB, the next biggest impact you could make on this Jets team would be to add an elite RB - NOT a run-of-the-mill RB - but someone who is a threat every time he touches the ball, who will cause the other team to stack the box against him, and thus make life easier for whichever QB we have. A WR - no matter how talented - depends on the QB being able to get the ball in his hands, and without a certified above average, if not a FQB, accomplishing that trick will be difficult. Aside from Fournette - or someone like him - the next best addition would be a stud TE like Howard who not only is a great receiver, but also an excellent blocker. The only "D" guy they should consider at #6 would be an elite Edge Rusher, but it's the offense that needs more help than the "D" so I would lean that way. And our "two starter backs" are mediocre at best and scare no one, even if they're healthy.

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with Howard in the first and Mixon with the 3 rd round compensatory pick

17. ColoradoContrails

If it worked out that way I wouldn't complain.

18. JohnnyP123456

I would not be in any way upset if we took Howard with the 6 pick, I think he would impact the offense the most out of any of the potential offensive draft picks. As I have said before, I would look to trade down into the early teens where most of these guys should still be and pick up more picks.

19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

fournette has been said to be the best rb prospect since ap, but i havent heard of him being compared to ap ... their running styles are not similar

20. ColoradoContrails

Well I can't find the video right now, but I posted in the Fournette thread a few weeks ago. It was from Bigcatcountry I think, and the analyst actually said that in comparing Fournette to Peterson, Fournette is actually better because of his blocking and pass catching aspects.