Looks like I will be playing LT next season.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think that having Beachum is an improvement, he is a veteran and can come in to anchor the LT position. I do agree with you that Mac has an inclination to draft Olinemen later in the draft, which in my opinion is also not the best way to strengthen the line.

He did try to pick up Tunsil last year so I'm thinking that if he sees someone that is a home run at that spot he would draft him. He might surprise us and trade down and select Cam or Ramczyk.

What I don't think he will do is grab a RB, he is bringing in players to interview at that position, as well as RB that can be used as returners.

Tells me that Jalin Marshall might be let go after he completes his suspension.

tomdeb likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Tom, that's fine. No one said that we had to agree all the time. I greatly respect your insight and opinion too. I agree that Ijalana is a backup at best at LT, but the thing is teams need both a starter and a backup. At the time, the Jets didn't have a single LT or anyone capable of playing LT on the roster. IMO that doesn't mean that Mac plans to ignore the OT position now.

I was as surprised as you that Ijalana got as much as he did, but that may be the going rate for LTs of his ability. Did you see what some of the other LTs signed for? IMO they're no better than Ijalana. At least Ijalana can play RT and is a better RT than LT, so he gives the Jets some flexibility.

We just don't know where the Jets were in negotiations with Beachum. They may not have spoken with his agent yet, Beachum may have had other suitors, or maybe things were looking "iffy" with Beachum. What if Mac had been unable to sign Beachum and then someone else signed Ijalana? Where would the Jets have been then? Whereas Ijalana may have been overpaid, I'm not gonna complain because the Jets got Beachum on a great deal, and they now have a starter and a backup, so if things don't fall the Jets' way in the draft and the Jets don't get an OT they like, we're at least set for 2017 at the position.

I disagree with you also regarding Robinson. He's a great run blocker, but pretty bad in pass protection. IMO he's more dud than stud as far as playing OT. I think he will wind up at OG. As far as I'm concerned, there are only 3, maybe 4 decent prospects at LT in the draft. None are rated as even a top 20 pick, much less a top 10. There are no guarantees of the Jets finding a trading partner to move down or up to take either Ramczyk or Bolles. I do think that if Mac likes them or Garcia, that he will try to get them. If not, I think he'll look to take one in next year's draft.

I also disagree with you about building an OL. I think it's not a wise use of resources to draft interior OL high. OTs yes, OGs and centers, no. The 1st and usually 2nd rounds are reserved for playmakers. Now if one has playmakers on both sides of the ball and depth at those positions, then fine, use a 2nd round pick on a C or OG, but not normally. I think Mac will look to get a C in the draft or sign a younger one in FA. I think you've forgotten when the Jets had a ton of money tied up on the OL and didn't have cap space to have any playmakers. That's no good, either, and if you draft all your OL high, then you're gonna wind up in that position of having too much cap space tied up in the OL.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Tomdeb. My sentiments exactly when it comes to OL. We picked the worst draft year to get serious about
    OL in the early rounds.

Red Menace and tomdeb like this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

nice post