Looks like I will be playing LT next season.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

QB protection is vital to QB development.

NCJetsfan and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I like the idea of signing one and drafting one. I just don't want to see them over pay when the Jets have so many other needs. Get a young guy with upside, IMO, if the plan really is to have Petty/Hack/draftpick compete for the spot.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard about those. Are they really bad? At this point, I don't see that we have much choice. Clady had injury concerns and Mac traded for him. Unless he's planning on bringing Clady back to start, I see no choice at this point but to sign Beachum.

4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Which QB are you developing?
    From the threads in the past 3 days, there are many options here, from Cousins to Cutler to Kaep. With various Genos, Sanchezed in between.

Also, should the FO read this thread and procure your services at LT, will you then open another thread about Mangold leaving and how center is vital to the development and how Jets FO needs to urgently hire your brother/buddy/cousin who is obviously better than anything Jets could possibly get between now and the end of FA?

We don't know how this team will look in 3 months, but panic we must. :mad:

5. NCJetsfan

The problem is that I think the only younger LT with any real upside is Beachum. Besides, a young player with upside can still get a QB killed. They need to get someone solid at LT. The very last thing this team needs is to see one of it's young QBs injured, or pay a lot of money for a FA QB and then see him get injured because they tried to go cheap at LT.

No one wants to see the Jets have to overpay for a FA, but it is what it is. That is less important than adquately manning the position.

6. NCJetsfan

Seriously? I shouldn't even have to answer that question it is so obvious. LT is the second most important position on offense after QB. Ijalana is not a starting-quality LT. The Jets have no one else on the roster capable of playing LT at even a remotely acceptable level. It's probably one of the worst drafts in NFL history for LTs with maybe only two players capable of starting in their rookie season and both of them are huge question marks, and you see no reason to panic?

There are a ton of CBs and DBs available both in FA and the draft. There is absolutely zero reason to panic over those positions. There's not a decent QB out there that's available in FA or for trade. The QB prospects in the draft aren't great, and it's unlikely that Mac would take one high anyway after taking Hack in the second round last year. So again, there's no reason to panic, because it's likely that there's not much that the Jets can do to improve the situation. The only hope at QB is that either Petty or Hack develop this season or that the Jets take Mahomes or Watson and he proves to be ready to start day one, or to show enough to think that he can be the Jets FQB.

Yes, it's a rebuilding year, but you still have to have adequate protection for your QB. How would you like it if Petty, Hack or a draft pick really start playing well, and then he suffers a major injury to his throwing shoulder, perhaps a career-ending injury? That would totally stupid and unnecessary.

NYJetsO12 and Martin&theJETS like this.
  7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Lol.

It took Winters a couple of years to develop. Watching Winters early on you could see his good points, and understood his shortcomings and what he needed to improve on.

I don't know if I see that in Ijalana or Shell.
    Then again I stopped givin' a shit last year too and stopped paying attention

They better get it together quick because they will get the starter hurt...seriously.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

9. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

Ijalana has been around for a little while now. He is what he is, a backup swing tackle that can do spot duty from time to time. Kind of reminds me of another fellow that did decent in a short window and the jets thought they would be ok to roll with him as the starting rt. Does anybody remember the great jet I am talking about? Its Wayne F***ing Hunter all over again if we roll into the draft Ijalana set as the LT.

kevda5n9ne and Martin&theJETS like this.
  10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Nobody is forcing you. just saying...

Yes, and the season start tomorrow. so sky is falling!
    Nope, I leave the selection process to the process experts. I suggest you do the same

I'd like it sure, but if that can't be had, then I'd develop an offense that doesn't rely on 5-6-seconds protection, but does good job of utilizing what's available.
    There is more than one way to skin the cat. And just because it's not being skinned the precise way you believe to be perfect, doesn't mean you can't do it.

But you can start a thread though...

11. Martin&theJETS

He just tore his ACL once. I thought it was twice.

12. Martin&theJETS

You do not find LTs that easily. Starting a raw Shell at RT and a mid round rookie LT (or Ijalana) is asking to be on our 3rd string QB by week 10.

13. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

mac tried to move up for laremy tunsil , traded for clady last year its not like he is ignoring the position its one of his focus points im sure.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

So finding LT is hard, but you're starting an angry thread when LT is not found after 1 day of FA....

Yeah, that makes sense.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a good point. We don't want a repeat of Sanchez / Wayne Hunter. I still swear to this day, that year ruined him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Martin&theJETS

4 above average LTs got signed yesterday. They were the market. We have Ijalana and we made no moves on the most important position on the OL. There are also no sure fire LTs at the top of the draft. Yes it is concerning. If you aren't concerned and don't find it a big deal, good for you.

blackssmagic and RuJFan like this.
  17. Martin&theJETS

The Clady move was brilliant. Such a healthy prospect to trade for.

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

we have debated this on other threads many times -----what I have gotten out of Mac is NO URGENCY when it comes to linemen ! I have read the quotes and heard his interviews and I think he has a somewhat scary approach to building the line---thats just my thoughts

19. NCJetsfan

What is your deal today? Someone lick the red off your candy? We often agree and have civil exchanges? Why the smartass, uncivil tone?

Again, if the Jets don't get one in FA, their odds of having someone who is an adequate starter are extremely small. Look, if you don't care about the team's fortunes fine. The stupid, smart ass responses are beneath you. If other wants to discuss something we think is vitally important, we can. If you don't agree, fine.

Again, this is a inane response. Of course, posters on a Jets fan site aren't making the selections or determining what is done, but we have a right to express our opinions regarding that process. If you don't like it, don't read the thread, or disagree in a civil manner without being a condescending smart ass.

To make a similar response to you, "Why don't you leave the development process to the professionals?" If we shouldn't worry what the Jets are doing at LT, then you shouldn't worry about what kind of system Morton devises.

Morton is a novice OC. He may have a difficult enough time creating an offensive system that can take advantage of the talents and skills that the Jets' QBs have. Adding another dimension like having to get rid of the ball very quickly could make it impossible. Young QBs usually don't get rid of the ball that quickly, especially ones who are adapting to the NFL and learning a new offense. Again another response that wasn't thought through, just a flippant smart ass response.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I would add to the WR's development as well, since if the QB is constantly running for his life, the WRs won't get much time to run their routes.