QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Can Richardson play QB? We haven't explored that potential QB option for next year yet. ;p

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Only the jets would be that stupid to showcase greybeards Cutler and Forte to lead their "rebuilding" project. Both about 5 years over the hill and play the two key skill positions.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I would change that to Woody, and maybe Bowles. I don't think Mac, Morton, the scouts, or anyone else associated with the team would want that except maybe Forte.

Freddy Mondo and tomdeb like this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Mike Francesa made the point yesterday that you have to give the fans a reason to go the stadium and Cutler could do that. I don't really want Cutler either, but he makes a valid point. After all, game attendance is important for many economic reasons. Don't think the fans are going to flock to Metlife to see Petty or Hackenberg unless they win right away which is not too likely.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

if anyone out there buys season tickets simply because of Jay Cutler they are a moron. If the Jets brass are making football decisions based on things like this they should be fired. (i dont think they are)

6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Agree with that, but I don't think he was talking about new subscribers, I think he meant the ones who already hold tickets.

7. jsyankees12

jsyankees12 Member

I can't believe I'm saying this.....

But how about RG3?

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I would prefer RG3 to Cutler or the status quo, that's for sure

FJF and jsyankees12 like this.
  9. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

Apparently RG3 wants to play for the Jets, as does Cutler. Honestly, I don't care which vet QB signs here, as long as its at a cheap 1 year deal, and he is willing to help develop Hack and our rookie QB we take at #6.

10. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

This. Plus I'd rather find out NOW if Bryce/ Hack have it, rather than push their time horizon out another year, and win 6 games with Cutler, and 4 with Bob Griffin, thus missing out on the franchise QB in next years draft. I can buy into a rebuild, I can't buy into a rube goldberg duct tape and bubble gum job.

Freddy Mondo and Terminated117 like this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

RG3 wants the Jets because no one wants RG3----from what I saw and heard about him in Washington his teammates hated him,,,I pass .
    Right now I go with the 2 kids and roll,,,,,heck if we can get Mccown cheap I say okay otherwise lets roll

12. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I don't blame Mac for giving out the contracts his first year to the players that he did. It was a gamble that came up one game short of being a playoff team. And last offseason he had to resign Fitz. The guy was coming off a very good statistical season, along with B Marshall and Decker. Too many people are playing the result of the abortion that Fitz was last season. I get it, he's done this before in Buffalo, but there was NO WAY Mac was going to cut loose the QB that just put up the numbers that Fitz did in '15 and roll with Geno, Petty and Hack.

Having said all of that, he will be making a monumental mistake if he signs Cutler or RGIII. This is a total tear-down/rebuild from scratch job. If the Jets don't have a decent idea of what they really have with Petty and Hack at this time next season, then '17 will have been a complete waste. That should be the one and only goal, let the young guys play and either sink or swim. Bringing in a 'bridge' quarterback implies that you know what you have - they have no real clue what they have with either guy, so what exactly is Cutler a bridge to? Taking first-team snaps away from them is pointless with dead-end guys like Cutler and RGIII.

Freddy Mondo and PulseJet like this.
  13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

From this fan, I can tell you I am LESS inclined to watch or go to a Jets game with Cutler as QB. Francesa is an idiot.

I dont even want to see Forte get carries. Give the rock to Bilal Powell.

14. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better. Unless they trade for Cousins, the Jets should give Petty and Hack all the reps they can get in OTA's and Training Camp to determine whether they can run the offense. For Petty, his floor was playing about as good as Fitzpatrick last year. Which sucked, particularly in the Red Zone, but I think Petty can sustain drives with his play. It wont be three and outs and punts all game.

They can take a QB in the draft to throw into the mix, and if Petty is absolutely horrible in TC, decide to cut him and sign a veteran for the season.

15. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Why are people still talking about Cousins? It's not an option, off the table. He will not sign a long term deal and we can't cough up 2 first round picks for a rental. He is forcing the Skins to either trade him to the 49ers or he will go as a FA next off season because he hates Bruce Allen. Ugh.
    The other thing that gets me is the "we have been linked to/chasing all these QBs". Nobody has any idea who they are or were looking at. Maybe they made a call just to feel out the situation but decided not to pursue for whatever reason. For all we know the FO loves Hack and intends he go into the camp as a starter. How is that less likely then both our QBs suck and no one will come here to replace them because we suck? That doesnt make sense either because players 80% of the time will go where the $ is. Why choose Jax over Den? $$$$$

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  16. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Cutler, RG3, or Romo would all be huge mistakes and massive steps back for the Jets. How many times do we need to bring in a washed up headcase with chronic injury problems to be our QB before we realize its a terrible idea?

RG3 has *never* played a complete season in the NFL. He has played a total of 14 combined games in the last 3 years. You have to be some sort of a braying jackass to think that he would play a complete season without getting hurt - he never has! Those who want to bring RG3 should pour some gas on their Milliner jerseys and take a big huff.

Romo is old, didn't play last year, and has chronic back problems that have plagued him for years. He isn't mobile at all. Anyone who wants to bring Romo in should take another look at the hits that Petty took at the end of last season and ask themselves how many of those hits Romo could take before getting his 20th back surgery. Here's a hint: 1.

Cutler is a headcase who hasn't ever won anything. He is a cancer in the locker room. How long do you think it would take Cutler to go into his act after a few losses and a shitload of backpage newspaper stories ripping him to pieces?

Yea, it sucks that we don't have a proven qb on the roster. That doesn't mean that we should go out and pick up an old, injury-riddled QB that nobody else wants - or that it will make us any better. If the Woody had any brains he'd be spending all of the Jets resources getting younger and faster and shoring up the offensive line. Let Petty and Hack fight it out for the starting job and see what they can do.

Freddy Mondo, NCJetsfan and PulseJet like this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i don't think anyone is saying get rg3 and go to the playoffs . but we are going to add a veteran and he seems like a better add than cutler and probably as good as anyone else out there.
    he doesn't finish seasons? great, we want the kids to play anyway. we need a backup thts might be needed for a few games and cheap. rg3 can fill that rol.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  18. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

Please god no Robert Griffin III

Hasn't been "RG3" since his rookie season

19. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Why must we "add a veteran"? We have no offensive line, we have lots of dead cap money, we aren't going to win anything this year. Why add a veteran instead of playing all of the young kids, including Petty and Hackenburg, and see who is worth keeping? This is Hackenburgs 2nd year and Pettys 3rd, if they arent ready to play this year its time to cut them loose and move on. The only way to figure that out is to play them.

No, terrible. That means that RG3 spends the pre-season, training camp, and practices getting all the 1st team reps while Petty and Hackenburg play with the practice squad and hold the clipboard. Then when RG3 goes down (like he has every single season in his career) in the 4th game we have to throw one of them into the fire to try to get on the same page with the 1st team offense during live play while they get pounded behind a thrown-together offensive line.

We have a backup, either Petty or Hackenburg, whoever doesn't win the starting job. Throwing out a worthless, used-up RG3 does absolutely nothing to develop the team and would be yet another step backwards.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The first thing the Jets need to decide is what Hackenberg is. That sets the tone for the rest of the QB decision making. Does this guy have a shot in the next two years to start and not be totally embarrassed? If yes, then Hackenberg is QB3 today, the Jets sign a veteran, and not draft a QB. If no, then Hackenberg is QB4 and a dead roster spot. At that point, the team should draft a new QB, and then acquire a veteran after or during the draft depending on how the team does with actually drafting a QB.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk