49ers and Jets interested in Brian Hoyer.....please God no

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by STARoSCREAM, Mar 8, 2017.

1. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

I can't wait till the 2018 draft, Jets haven't had the first pick in a long time. Ah who am I kidding they'll just pick a safety anyway.

2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Bleacher Report

3. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

or a QB....that they convert to a Safety a la Scott Frost WTF:mad:

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Jets have got to be the dumbest organization on Earth if they can't get a QB in 2018..another missed opportunity like with Idzik

Gut says it wont go down like that..I want Hack/petty playing but that makes too much sense..

Mac and Bowles have to tease us with some BS QB competition in TC with some scrub QB off the garbage can lid...well as long as we have a losing 2017 ill go along with this charade

Its all good...I hope

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Any chance we can calm down until
    1. he actually signs
    2. we know the terms
    3. they say their intentions are

6. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

If you're Hoyer do you take $2mm to start for the 49ers or $2mm from Jets to "compete" with Petty and Hack? If he wants a shot at a bigger contract in '18 he will take the 49ers job. Possibly being a back up on the Jets isn't going to help him in '18.

7. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

This Is exactly what I wanted. If we signed Glennon or Tyrod then we know the FO has essentially given up on Hack and Petty. This signing would mean that they are going to have a competition or that Hoyer will be backup to Hack or Petty unless he beats them out. Which means we suck this year anyway and we draft a QB in the 1st next year.
    I thought this is what everyone wanted, see what we have this year. Glennon and Tyrod are not the FQB

FJF likes this.
  8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

elway didnt just let the two young guys fight it out last year, he traded for sanchez

9. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

The goal of the Jets since Mac got here was to bring in rookie QB's and develop them slowly. Not make the mistake of throwing a QB in when they arent ready like Geno or Sanchez.

I think the reason they were hesitant in putting Hack (and Petty) in last year wasnt because they didnt think they were ready. Either one could have done as poor a job as Fitz did last year. And Petty pretty much did.

The reason they are holding them back is because they are grooming these guys. They have a philosophy they have explained since day one and they are sticking with it. They have an investment in both of these guys. 1-2 seasons training to be professional QB's, all the time and effort that brings. Why would you just throw it away now and start from scratch?

If you did, why would you be trusted to bring in another crop of rookies? Especially when you reached for a guy in the second like Hack?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The realist in me tells me that the Jets are bound and determined to sign a veteran QB, and so if that's going to happen, Hoyer is probably the way to go, assuming that he's not guaranteed the starting job.

But the eternally optimistic fan in me is so sick and tired of the insanity - doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results - that I'm hoping against hope that they have the guts and commitment to winning to forget about a vet QB, and draft Mahomes or Watson and go into TC with a wide-open competition to see who starts. We are NEVER going to win anything meaningful by playing it "safe".

But the frustrating reality is that those running the team, and especially Bowles, are risk-averse, and loath to take a chance. They aren't winners, they're settlers: they settle for mediocrity because it's safer. With them at the helm, I fully expect to see Hoyer named the starter because "He gives us the best chance to win". And what will they "win"? At best a poor to mediocre record, just good enough to keep them out of the top 3 draft picks, and no chance of getting better. Being a Jets fan is the definition of purgatory.

Red Menace and TonyFtLaud like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Your rationale is compelling...IF Macc and anyone else on the Jets had a proven track record of developing QBs. But they don't. The fact that they just gutted their coaching staff in a do-over shows that they do NOT have a coherent plan. There is not a shred of evidence to show that Petty or Hackenberg have made progress. If they have to be so coddled, that's very telling by itself. If they really do possess the "right stuff" they would be able to tossed in the deep end and not drown.

12. kevda5n9ne

kevda5n9ne Well-Known Member

Where's Kellen Clemens when you need him??? I think I saw a green jersey floating around in TJ Maxx a while back

13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Petty most certainly made progress. He started as a one-read spread QB that needed to undertstand the pro-style system. He didnt even work from over center. In his games last year, he showed he mastered the playbook, was able to audible at the LOS, and pick up the blitz. But he isnt there yet. He needs to improve his accuracy and get much better at blitz pickup. That comes from practice reps. There were 4 QB's on the roster last year, and Petty was injured early so he didnt get many reps early in the season. Hopefully, his shoulder heals, he gets into OTA's healthy, and has a productive spring and training camp. This year is where the rubber meets the road. He needs to show more improvement. As the widely reported hardest worker at Florham Park I give him a punchers chance. I am rooting for him.

The only bad stuff we heard about Hack was from Mehta, quoting coaches who were given their walking papers. We need alot more info before we can decide he is a bust.

But your right in one respect, the change in coaches does make me assume these guys will take a step back. But again we will see.

#33 PulseJet, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    TonyFtLaud and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Red, I agree, but don't see any way that Mac would go into the season without a veteran QB.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

It has nothing to do with their "feelings" or babying them. Unreal. SMH

16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Unpopular opinion but in all reality the Jets are 1 year late on the Brian Hoyer sweepstakes. Instead of caving and overpaying, the Jets should have probably signed Hoyer last year instead of Fitz. Hoyer actually had a nice 4 games before he got injured with the Bears.

Regardless, I am ok with getting Hoyer because it is evident that the plan isn't winning in 2017. 2017 is about getting younger, getting more reps for the young QB's, evaluating them.

Having a QB competition between Hoyer, Petty and Hack is fine by me

NOVAJET likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

How does trying to improve your CS show that you do NOT have a plan? I'm scratching my head here.

IMO it just shows that the coaches that they had were not getting the job done, so they replaced then with coaches that hopefully can do a better job of developing players and following the plan. The plan isn't tied up in who the position coaches are. The plan has to do with the team addressing needs, filling holes, upgrading the talent and depth on your team, developing those young players, and you have a timetable in which to accomplish that and be competitive. Sometimes in order to accomplish a goal or plan, one has to take a step back before one can take two steps forward.

It's not a matter of their being coddled. That's ridiculous and is just utter nonsense. The idea that all players are the same mentally and physically is flat out wrong and stupid. Players learn and develop at different rates. Just because a player isn't ready to start day one and play at a very high level, doesn't mean that he's a bust or will never be any good. That just isn't dealing with reality in the NFL.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Sanchez did not make the team, he was cut a week before season started.

I know TB will not cut Hoyer, if he is signed by the Jets.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

If you want a shot at a franchise QB in 2018 then you better be willing to "chase down" a number of lousy QB-needy teams to the bottom of the barrel

or roll the dice on a trade up.

2018 ROUND 1
    Pick Team Player Pos HT WT College
    1 Cleveland Browns - Sam Darnold QB 6'4" 225 USC
    2 San Francisco 49ers - Josh Allen QB 6'5" 222 Wyoming
    3 New Orleans Saints - Arden Key DE 6'5" 232 LSU
    4 Chicago Bears - Josh Rosen OB 6'3" UCLA
    5 New York Jets - Mike McGlinchey LT 6'7" 310 ND

20. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

thats not the point

you stated that elway just let the young guys take their lumps. i was simply pointing out that was not the case. elway made sure that he had a safety net in place