QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And VOILA! another mediocre season!

The Jets have this recipe down to a science.

2. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

That analogy sucks. lol.....a franchise dog, omg....Dan Marino never won a championship, so that makes him a mutt?

Whatever, you can fool yourself into thinking the Jets will draft a QB at #6....all your posts allude to it.....not going to happen.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Just read the Jets want Glennon but he is likely to sign with the Bears. Interesting. If signed, Glennon would be the instant starter.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

if they are interested in glennon as the instant starter they might as well draft a qb in the 1st since they have no faith in petty or hack

5. DuhesSeaOfMud

DuhesSeaOfMud Member

i called Glennon in november. actually i hope he goes to the Bears since im a miami fan, but i do think glennon would be the best thing for the jets. monster arm and showed some great things when he started. i also think the jets should pounce on Taylor if he was released by buffalo.

6. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Please no......

Tank right

That's why you dump HQ when rebuilding

So he doesn't keep trying band aids and get us a whopping 4 wins and miss out on the 2 QB's

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

So rebuilding a putrid offensive line, getting a couple of skill players and then seeing if the QBs currently on the roster are worth running with is a recipe for a mediocre season? How about it is building a base to work off of and it's not wasting 1st round picks on 2nd and 3rd round QBs..

Not that I really give much thought to your posts, I mean you went from claiming Mahomes was a project to wanting to take him with the 6th pick, over the course of 3 days. As a "coach" why don't you explain that one to me.

8. FJF

I think the fear is, bowles will turn to the newly acquired vet foles, glennon, hoyer etc and not give petty or hack a chance and that will turn into another 5-7 win best of the bad teams season legit fear after bowles refused to bench fitz

PulseJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Pay the Packers 100M for Aaron Rodgers and sell Rodgers to the Browns for 101M. Then use the 1M to sign Mark Sanchez. QB problem solved.

PulseJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It is a tough situation for Bowles and the Jets right now. It's not guaranteed that a really bad #1 pick season would get him fired. That has happened in the past with guys like Jim Caldwell (Indy) and Lindy Infante (Indy - again), however both of those changes happened with the GM heavily involved in the decision. Bill Polian inherited Lindy Infante and the 3-13 1997 gave him the excuse to go get his own guy Jim Mora. Then in 2011 Polian got fired at the end of the season, despite the Colts obviously tanking the season, and with him went Jim Caldwell.

If the Jets have really decided to rebuild this year and tank they're not going to say that for public consumption just yet. Suck for Luck didn't become a real thing until the Colts put Curtis Painter on the field at 0-3 already. Really it didn't become a thing until 0-6 when Polian went out west to get a firsthand look at the guy everybody said was going #1 in the draft.

So figure the Jets are going to put a vet of some sort on the field and see what happens. If they get out to 0-3, well that'll be Petty or Hackenberg on the field to see what they can do. Probably a half dozen games later the other guy will get a chance. Of such things are 2-14 seasons made of and the Jets are going to need 2-14 to have a clear shot at the #1 pick.

Ok, so along about 1-7 the murmur will change to Suck for whoever looks best going into 2018. This could well be the point that the Jets have been waiting for to just let the kiddies all hang out on the field getting valuable "experience". This is where Bowles job is clearly going to be to keep everybody focused and prove that he can manage the transition to the next Jets roster now that the last one has basically been shredded (appropriately I might add). He's going to want to keep the young guys heads high and emphasize that everybody needs to give it their best on the field, with nobody rolling over. Then he's going to have to figure out how to do that and also go 1-7 in the second half. I don't envy him the job but he has a chance to do it.

Macc and management are just going to need to stay as low as possible through this period, as it becomes obvious that the Jets have let what might have been a middling-poor season become a #1 pick candidate. They've got to be careful not to feed the trolls in the media - many of whom will be sitting under bridges waiting for the Jets to cross overhead.

They have to be very careful not to disparage Bowles, because he's the point man on this whole deal. He's the one who is sucking it up and standing on the sidelines in full view as what needs to be done to get the Jets a real QB prospect gets done. He's the one the fans will turn on if this is done wrong. He needs to be fully supported with no doubts anywhere.

This needs to happen without raising the spectre that the Jets are intentionally losing games, which is officially still frowned upon by the authorities.

Then at the end of the season if the Jets have the #1 pick they should likely keep Macc and Bowles for the last year of their contracts. 2018 is the year that should make or break the pairing. That's the best path forward.

NYJetsO12 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. The Waterboy

If the controls were just handed to the vet then I could understand not wanting to head that direction, why I want the cheapest of the 3. My thinking being if the cheapest of the 3 beats out both Petty and Hack then at least one of the 2 likely gets cut next off season and I doubt a Hoyer (just guessing he will be the cheapest) takes the Jets to 7 wins with a rebuilding roster. That would answer the question on at least 1 of the 2 while also, using thinking from my previous post, building a foundation for the next QB to work with.

Overdrafting a QB in the 1st, like "Coach" Contrails wants, with no line for them to work behind is just another wasted 1st round pick.

12. ColoradoContrails

Who says they wont have a OL to work behind?

Your "solution" is more likely to get them to 6-10, 7-9 territory and goodbye getting your FQB in 2018 without paying a kings ransom in draft picks, if even that would work.

Did you see any of the Combine workouts today, or any tape on any of the top 5 QBs? Any of them is better than what we have, and a better bet than paying somebody else's trash who will only muddy the water and likely screw the draft order next year.

13. FJF

agree with everything but the tanking being frowned upon. browns openly stated they did not care about the w/l record last year, everyone knew what the score was there and no one said boo. the only thing nyj has to worry about are the cimini's and mehta's but if the fans accept the plan or if they don't and woody just stands strong or doesn't look up from his tea and crumpets they won't be a problem either.

14. The Waterboy

So your solution is to use a 1st round pick on a 2nd-3rd round QB. I can see why you think it is a much better solution than trading down to get more picks to build the O line up, while adding a very good TE and likely another good skill player.

Is the number of QBs you would take with the 6th pick up to 5 now?

15. ColoradoContrails

What facts do you have to support your opinion? As things progress, more and more analysts are raising their assessment of these QBs. ANd for sure, at least three of the top 5 or 6 will go in the first round. And I'm still sticking with Mahomes or Watson, as I have all along.

16. The Waterboy

As you have all along? Like I stated earlier, you were calling Mahomes a project and here you say if he was available in the 4th he'd be worth a look.
    36 hours later you say you would take him or Watson with the 6th pick

All that is, is you reading some draft website, seeing some draft guru says he should be a 1st rounder and suddenly you pass that off as your "opinion" so no, you were not sticking with Mahomes all along. Try not to make snide remarks about what others say they would like the team to do when your "opinions" are clearly just you parroting what some draft guide told you. Okay coach?

17. ColoradoContrails

Look whose being snide! As if you've never been snide or condescending yourself.

And what, you always form an opinion and then never change it? Yes, in 36 hours I took the time do some research on Mahomes after hearing several people talk him up, and as a result I changed my mind! Is that not allowed? And what do you base your opinions on? Not being able to interview and work out the players directly, I have to rely on the reports of people who information and access. I watched film of him, and considered what was said about him, and combined that with what I saw myself. What method do you use?

But you know what? I apologize for the comment I made about your idea. Sincerely. I do try to remain respectful of others opinions, and in this case I didn't.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

WTG Prof Br4d nice write up;)

I am so glad the melt down in 2017 will be happening for a 1 pick

I have to have to ask you honestly what you think of Bowles and his skill set as HC..here you portray him as a sympathetic figure taking the blows as the Team moves forward in history ..."hes going to have to do (the motivating) while going 1-7 in the 2nd half"

Well yes...the ownership will know what Mac/Bowles are up to and look the other way

Credit you in being fair to Bowles where others like myself are usually harsh with him but for good reason (see last season and poor coaching during 2015 as well) but what are the odds in your opinion based on his history he gets past 2018?

I am still bitter we don't have a decent Coach like Quinn, Holmgren S ean P There are much ,better players coming on board but then what happens?

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Bowles was good in 2015 with an over-achieving veteran roster and then bad in 2016 with an under-achieving veteran roster.

He's going to have to be very good in 2017 with a very young roster to get the Jets to an outcome that is good for the team and the fans. It's a total minefield at this point full of places the Jets could step on a mine and wind up picking up the pieces.

Imagine that 2018 actually is the year of the QB and the Jets are drafting 13th after going 7-9/8-8. So Bowles got us to a record few people think is possible right now with a very young team and a QB that nobody thought was up to the job (a vet free agent like 2015 Ryan Fitzpatrick all over again or one of the young guys the Jets have now.)

Bowles isn't particularly fire-able off of that particular mine. The Jets over-achieved and yet the goal of getting a franchise QB is further away than ever, unless the young QB is why they had the surprise season - an unlikely occurrence with a defensive rebound and competent secondary play more likely to be the answer.

Then there's the rolling clusterf*ck mine where the Jets are really bad next year at 2-11 and somehow manage to win 2 out of the last 3 as an impassioned Bowles fights for his job and motivates the young guys to finally put together a couple of wins in the last month and there the Jets sit at 4-12 with the 5 pick in the draft and virtually no way to trade up for the top 2 picks because unlike 2016 and 2017 nobody doubts that there are franchise QB's sitting at the top of the draft. Bowles is kind of an easy fire after that one but the team's resilience at the end has deprived us of a chance to watch (a great QB) play for the Jets.

It's hard to go 2-14 and look good doing it. I guess it's hard to go 2-14 period.

Can you imagine the conflicting emotions Bowles is going to have as he tries to manage the process of being acceptably horrible next year?

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

Again, this is why I say that they can't count on getting that high draft pick - in all reality, they need to get the #1 pick - to ensure getting their "guaranteed" FQB in 2018. It's fool's gold. If they aren't satisfied with Petty/Hack and a a vet, they had better grab for a QB now. If that QB doesn't pan out - in my mind that means winning the starting job before the end of the season, or at least showing that he could become the FQB the next season - you cut your loss and try to get someone better the next year, hoping that you have the draft position to do so.