Full Tear Down

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 2, 2017.

1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Slam dunk sounds about right-- Jets going for two when they need three....

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm as hopeful as the next guy, maybe more so, having rooted for the Jets since they were the Titans - the tag "eternal optimist" applies I think. But having watched decades of futility, while even expansion teams have succeeded, has worn me out and made me very skeptical. I would like to be able to view the current situation as optimistically as some of you are, but I've seen this movie before. I've been sensitized to noticing the warning signs of disaster - the ominous music, the confusion on the faces of the victims, the false machoism of the "hero" - and that's what I see now. Todd Bowles has demonstrated over a full season that he doesn't know how to be a HC. I think Macc has some ability to be decent, and maybe even great some day, but so far he's batting about .500, that won't get you to the SB.

As to a "Full Tear Down", I don't think they need to tear down, as much as build up, especially on the "O" side of things. They need a major infusion of talent, beginning with the QB, but also RB, TE, and OL. On the "D" side, the priority should be getting an elite edge rusher who will also help the pass defense. If they were to address these areas in this draft, they would be contenders by 2019, adding in the talent they would grab in 2018. To me, this isn't a "total tear down".

But I'm very concerned when I read that Bowles says Petty and Hack will compete for the job, and they're looking for a vet to throw into that mix. I can only hope that's smokescreen to keep the other teams in the dark. Because if that really IS his plan, then I want him and Macc gone because they don't know what they're doing.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So basically your hopeful.

4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Lol, nice one. Actually I think Macc needs immediate impact players with the first 4 picks, We have a first and second and 2 3's. Have to make all 4 count.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

These days, most teams go the "competitive rebuild" route. Not many people (or fans) have the patience for a complete rebuild. Owners want to make money. On one hand if it was Mac's choice, you can't blame him for trying. If it was his choice, and he now is choosing to go to a complete rebuild, that's to his credit for realizing the other way was not going to work with the Jets, that they need a complete rebuild.

In addition, we don't know that it was Mac's choice. Since Bowles is an equal and doesn't report to Mac, Bowles may have refused to go that route, and so rather than feud and be working against each other like Rex and Idzik, Mac may have decided to do the best he could under the circumstances. We also all know that Woody cares more about selling PSLs than he does winning. and that he isn't very bright. Woody could have easily (and probably did imo) order Mac to go the competitive rebuild route.

#25 NCJetsfan, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Why is that a sign that Bowles and Mac don't know what they're doing? Why wouldn't they compete for the starting job? You complained about Hack being babied. Now it appears he will be competing for the starting job and is ready to play, and you're complaining. You can't have it both ways.

Is it because if they bring in a vet to compete with them that it's a sign that it's not a major rebuild, but rather they're just getting rid of a few older, more expensive players to get some cap space?

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

OMG Pulse..I want to be an optimist too

But how is EVERYTHING not related i.e. tackling sacks schemes poor time management the losing week after week..we all know who the culprits are today tomorrow and the next day

its the same guy in the green hat and the jets sweatshirt who tells us after each loss "in NFL every game is hard"

Meet the new CS ====old CS with a few new wrinkles

(laughing and crying)

CBG and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It would be ok to tear it apart completely if we had a GM with a clue of how to rebuild it but we don't..when this moron started he had what, 80 million in cap space? look what he did with it then and there is no hope he has learned anything after the wilkerson contract last year.

NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  9. The winning standard is not very high w. this franchise. Certainly not to the level of its fan base. I think that's a reflection of ownership that the FO & CS quickly jump on board w. b.c it means less accountability from them...and at least theoretically better job security.

The only way we're catching the Pats is by raising our level of play & expectations. Every FA has to count. We can no longer have massive misses & projects from draft picks..and the play on the field needs to be situationally competent w. mentally tough players & coaches.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I dont know, alot of those coaches have had success in the NFL before. They choose to come to the snakebit Jets.

They see the same Bubba Blue dude falling apart at the podium after a Jets loss as we do... talking about the poor performance of the team the same way he talks about the Shrimpin business... "Theres missed tackles, bad tackles... ya got your bad protection, missed assignments, players in the wrong place, players not playing hard...Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it."

My point is, they cant all be fools or suckers. We'll see if they can elevate the level of play and make Bubba look good.

11. ColoradoContrails

If that's all they did, then I don;t think they know what they're doing regarding QBs. What that tells me is that they're not even considering drafting a QB who might be better than what they've got, or whichever retread they might sign. As I said, maybe - HOPEFULLY - they're just creating smoke to cover their true intentions. but if this is their plan for QB for this season, I'm not optimistic.

Now maybe they DO know what they're doing, Hack is the second coming of Joe Willie. After all, they are professionals and I'm just a fan without first hand knowledge like they have. But from what I've seen so far, they haven't given me any strong reasons to believe in their judgment.

CBG and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Fair enough. Thanks.

13. ColoradoContrails

It would be so easy to dismiss the decades long failure as due to superstition - "snakebit" - but that makes us nothing more than victims. It's not bad luck, it's bad ownership that cares more about making money than winning. Until we get ownership that cares more about winning than making money, we'll continued to be "snakebit". The ironic thing is that if Woody had a half a clue, he would know that winning is the best way to make the most money. Look at the Steinbrenner model for proof: if you invest in the players, coached, and scouting and development - all costly - in the long run you create a sustainable winning team, and THAT is what makes money.

14. FJF

I think you are over reacting a bit. i mean what else did you expect him to say about the qb position. his quote was pretty much on par with what any coach with only 2 inexperienced qbs on the roster on march 1st would have said.

PulseJet likes this.
  15. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

What investments has Woody not made in the team? A brand new state-of-the-art training facility, new stadium, new re-hauled scouting department. The cap is the cap and most of the vets have been paid a boatload of money.

He has his flaws but its not like the Jets are playing in bad conditions.

I'm not sure where Woody could have spent money to improve the team.

blackssmagic likes this.
  16. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Bowles is a fraud as a HC, he'll be looking for a job after next year. Mac made some dumb choices with Smith and Hack but he gets a chance to redeem himself with the upcoming draft. If he shits the bed again I hope he's gone as well.

I don't see why people are giving Mac credit for drafting Williams, a monkey could have made that gift pick. Wasting a 2nd round pick on Smith to pair him with noodle arm Fitz is incompetent. Wasting a 2nd round pick on Hack when they could have taken him or Dak later in the draft is worse. At least Smith was projected as a 2nd round pick. No one had Hack as a 2nd round pick. Those that say if he turns out to be good its a positive reflection on Mac are wrong. He wasted a high pick on a project, GM's that do that are soon to be ex-GM's. If he made a competent choice in round 2 and picked up Hack in round 4 I'd give Mac his due but not for wasting an impact pick on a project.

NYJetsO12, CBG and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

If
    If I were the owner, I would NEVER have agreed to share a stadium with another team in the same sport, and if I did, I would want the stadium known first as Jets Stadium. Also, I would've invested heavily in scouting and player development. I would've hired the BEST GM and HC and other coaches available, without regard to cost. I would "make an offer they couldn't refuse" to get my guys, like Kraft did with BB.

These are some of the major ways in which I see Woody tried to be cheap, or "financially responsible" if you want to use more syllables. It's made him money, no doubt, but he's still a big loser.

18. ColoradoContrails

Fair point. After almost 6 decades, I'm a little prone to knee jerk reactions with this team.

FJF likes this.
  19. FJF

To be fair to mac, smith was picked when geno's jaw was still intact.
    I agree with most of the rest though. mac has been less than impressive in the draft.

20. FJF

Who were the best gm and coach available regardless of cost? the stadium and the scouting criticisms are somewhat legit i guess but saying you would have hired the best without any names isn't really saying anything at all.

PulseJet likes this.