Full Tear Down

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-j...-to-copy-16-browns-thanks-but-no-tanks-please

This article has sparked the thought in my mind that we may attempt to really tear down this franchise and try to do what we've been woefully avoiding since after the 2011 season. Competitive rebuild, retooling, getting younger but staying competitive.

I understand that this is not the MLB or NHL where you can really send a franchise to the gutter for 3-4 years and then see an upward swing in wins with youth. The Jaguars have sort of disproved this sort of ideology to be a failure, and the Bears are in the middle of their own disaster in trying to do the same thing.

All it takes for a team to really rebuild is one to two drafts where they have 5-6 quality starters out of that draft and boom you have a competitive roster again. I don't think we intend on some patient four year process like the Jaguars tried. But I do fully expect us to be awful next year as it's basically an inevitability.

I just question whether Todd Bowles & Mike Maccagnan are the correct guys in place to make this happen. I'm not sure they are or aren't.

Some positives though. Let's say Jordan Jenkins, Brandon Shell, Darron Lee, and Juston Burris become those young quality starters we're dying for. Well shit, we're halfway there.

I just hope we take Deshaun Watson, redshirt him for half the year, get his feet wet the last 6 games or so and we hit on a couple other quality starters later in this years draft.

I don't see how we do not select a quarterback this year regardless of Hackenberg. The league is driven by that.

A bit of ramblings here, but cheers to another 4-12 year in hopes that it turns into a youthful 10-6 2018 with a playoff appearance.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The best laid plans.

I can't stop thinking they'll fuck this up somehow...

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Until we find a competent QB we will never be competative.

BIGREX, FlaJet, Cman68 and 6 others like this.
  4. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I really thinking that a complete rebuild is in order? Honestly, this team is hapless right now. They just don't have much talent at all right now. The biggest question is our GM and HC? A competitive rebuild or a total retooling could both work, but we need to have good talent evaluators in order for any of it to work. Are you that confident that Mac is a truly great talent evaluator? I mean a guy that could easily have a draft where 5 or even say 6 guys become good players? Honestly, I am not. There's nothing to indicate to me over his last two drafts that he has any business being a GM?

As for the HC, most of us feel he is woefully lacking. On the good side, 2017 is a make or break season for him certainly. If he cannot start to things straight regarding strategy and start winning more games, he'll be gone and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he got fired midseason..........

Cman68 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

+10000

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nice post JV

I am fine with a tanking or close to it..think about it.... its the only way you have a place on the line for the 2018 QBs

Say goodbye to the 2017 Season and to Bowles and Mac if need be...this has been a learning experience on Jet Drive for those 2 AT OUR EXPENSE ...I am sick of this sh+t

As I posted before the "talent evaluators, mentors" like the new Cs are a joke! Mac has so let me down, too, after I was being an initial supporter but he just gets few deals done right... SMH

Todd Bowles? a complete fraud and so is his sidekick KC...I feel bad for the 4-5 players you mentioned with talent

Wind up: Draft all ya want but management better change too

Are A hole ownership has used the NY audience to line their pockets,,,pretty obvious

7. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If Macc wanted a full on rebuild he should have started it a couple of years ago. All the cuts we recently made were just from necessity. And I'm not certain a guy who chose Hackenburg and Smith is the guy to retool our team. Both Mac and Bowles will be looking for other jobs this time next year.

I swear. I honestly believe the reason BB dominates this out of control league is that he is competent and the most of the other GMs and Coaches are incompetent.

#7 pdxdrew, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I cant help but think Polian isnt as smart as he thinks. The jets dumped 2 aging players who produced less. Tearing down is not the reason they got rid of them.

On the topic tho, they've already torn everything down. What needs to be done, is they need to draft better and find a qb.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jonathan_Vilma and legler82 like this.
  9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Nah this is a total rebuild.

And I think releasing all the veterans and going with youth mostly on the field is going to give Bowles 2 years at least. This year is basically a learning year, filled with teaching these guys the right way to play football under a coaching staff that seems to be (SEEMS being the word here) better then how Todd initially put it together, all the while Bowles continues to figure out this coaching thing. 2018, I think is where you will kinda expect the Jets to be a young exciting team who can begin to play .500 or hopefully better football, showing improvement and having a base of at least 10-15 guys who can be somewhat cornerstones of this team.

You hope by 2018 season that Hack or Petty shows he may have potential to be a good QB, the offensive line led by Shell has the makings of a good offensive line, the WR corps is beginning to shine led by the 3-4 young kids currently there, Mo wilk and Big Cat are the stars of the defensive line, Lee/Jenkins/Mauldin show they are ready to be part of your young LB corps, and the CB's led by whoever they bring and say, Burris and Pryor? Have potential back there...that seems to be the hope here.

10. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

People over react to Macs drafts due to 2 second round potential blunders that the court is still out on. What if Hack improves his mechanics and comes in this year like he was a freshmen in college and is a future franchise qb for just a second round pick? What if Devin Smith gets over the random injury bug and starts to produce as a deep threat?

The first draft in 2015 consisted of:

#1 - Williams - Pro bowl DL.
    #2 - Devin Smith - Jury is out due to injuries
    #3 - Lorenzo Mauldin - Doesn't look like he will be a star but seems to be a decent player that provides depth
    #4 -Petty - Looks like back up material. Cannot slam him for a 4th round qb pick not turning into a quality starer. Seems to have some backup potential.
    #5 - Jarvis Harrison - Miss
    #7 -Deon Simon - Looks to be our young NT in rotation with McLendon. Any value you get in the 7th round is incredible and to have a potential starter come from it is great.

Using just 2 years this draft isn't as bad as people like to believe it is. 1 star, 1 player the book is still out on and 3 rotation players in Mauldin Petty and Simon. Pretty good for a first draft from a GM.

2016 Draft

#1 - Lee - As much as their is nationwide hate on this kid being picked at #20 the kid did a decent job as a rookie. He wasn't a "bust" but didn't flash any moments that showcase his speed and ball skills. We only have 1 year of tape on him in a defense that had a secondary that was a sieve. Give him another year before we start to label him terrible.

#2 and # 3 - Part of me believes that if we switched the picking of Jenkins and Hackenburg no one would be upset. In the 3rd round we got the second best rookie edge setter in the draft. Hack didn't take a snap this year. People view this as him being terrible but I view it as the jets breaking a terrible tradition of throwing qb's into the fire before they are ready. Hack is impossible to evaluate and Jenkins would have been a great pick up in the second round let alone the 3rd.

# 4 -Justin Burris - For a 4th round cb the kid did alright in a secondary where the rest of the cb play was terrible and the safeties forgot how to play. Kid has potential to be starting quality as a 2nd or 3rd cb on the team. Looks like a pretty good pick in the 4th round.

# 5 - Shell - Traded up to get him, everyone whined. Kid started to turn on more at the end of the year with more reps and getting receiving help from the rg and te. Not completely sold but the coaching staff seems to have him penciled in as a potential starting rt next year and that is encouraging.

# 7 - Edwards - Not great, why draft a punter this was a miss but just a 7th round

# 7 - Peake - 7th round potential starter that showed good hands. Only reason he dropped was over injury concerns. Another 7th round pick that looks like he will contribute to the team.

2016 saw - 2 starters from the get go in Lee and Jenkins, 2 potential starters in Shell and Burris, 1 ultimate unknown in Hack, a miss on a punter in the 7th and a potential gem in Peake. This is not ading a UDFA Robbie Anderson who has major potential to be a starting wr for years to come on this team.

With all this the guy has not drafted bad at all. People have short memories and forget how terrible Idziks drafts were and how we got barely anything out of them. In the drafting department Mac has been pretty damn good for only having two. I am excited to see where he goes this year with another high pick.

TonyFtLaud, jetsknicks1, Dom and 11 others like this.
  11. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I am going to be optimistic here. While I didnt have much trust in Bowles evaluating player talent, he has brought in talent on the coaching staff this offseason. So that bodes well for the coming year.
    • I think Kevin Greene knows how to evaluate and coach outside linebackers. I think he will get the best out of Mauldin and Jenkins and they will provide a passrush.
    • Robert Nunn had years of success as Giants D-line coach. I think he can make Williams into a star and get the most out of Mo.
    • Good thing keeping Karl Dorrell as WR coach. That unit was one of the bright spots on the team and he deserves to develop the young guys further.
    • The offensive line was a sieve, but that was primarily due to injury. The young olinemen did a pretty good job of stepping up and plugging holes and that is a credit to returning OL coach Steve Marshall
    • RB coach Stump Mitchell gets high marks and is an upgrade over Marcell Shipp.
    • Dennard Wilson coached one of the better defensive backfields last year in the Rams.
    • OC and QB coach are a big question mark this year, but I like Morton's pedigree having coached under Payton, Harbaugh, Gruden and Carroll. Its a gamble, but a good one in my mind.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very nicely done Pulse. May I add that the biggest issue for me is non other than the DC and possibly the HC when it comes to strategy and game prep.

13. Joey Jett

Joey Jett Member

You are 100% correct. Not only off the field but on the field as well (Seahawks and Falcons coaching blunders). BB has made a number of mistakes, but he quickly moves on from them.

14. I think you begin work on a "full tear down"...expecting it to take 3-4 years but knowing full well that if drafts start to pay off..things could turn around in much shorter order. It's all about staying disciplined w. the ammo..be it cap funds or draft picks...but also remaining fully aware of where the league is going w. the style of play.

It's hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel when the franchise essentially refuses to build any type of sustained offensive product.Until we see some genuine pieces added to help score points..not just veteran stop-gaps...there will be no hope.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

the worst thing that could happen to a jets beat writer is a complete teardown. hard to be critical whne the team knew going in it wouldn't be competitive. thats why they push the "can't rebuild in ny" narrative.

16. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Yeah, thats why I left them out. Next year if we see improved tackling, more sacks and INT's but the team still loses games because of poor time management or bad schemes we'll know who the culprits are!

17. They'll just ignore the obvious & accuse the jets of not fielding a competitive team. Again...that narrative is not going to change until the Jets win a SB. It may not be fair..but its reality.

Br4d and FJF like this.
  18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Full tear downs are also highly dependent on the makeup of the team. The jets have some talent on the team and like someone mentioned, if an NFL team has 2 drafts of 3-4 instant impact players, you can easily turn a team around. Now the problem becomes who is the coach and who is the QB. Right now, I think both remain unknown. Bowles said today at the combine that Petty and Hack will be able to compete for the starting job but also that they are looking at free agent QB's and have a few in mind. From that, I am going to assume that the Jets are going to go after Glennon, and if they do sign Glennon I can see there being an open competition between the 3 of them.

As for the coach, 2017 will be telling. Bowles completely lost the team in 2016, and him personally advocating for Fitz when he wasn't under contract was a detriment to the team. I do not want to rehash everything he did wrong in 2016 because we all know that's a long list, but if he can self reflect and fix his mistakes he can do well.

We have gotten rid of 2 prominent Jets, and there will be a few more cuts to come, make no mistake about it.

I think Macc is going to have a slam dunk draft this offseason, and if we can get even decent QB play we can be competitive in 2017.

A lot of holes need to be filled, a lot needs to be seen. The most important block to fall will be who we sign or draft as QB, and how have those QB's progressed or regressed.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Whats your reasoning behind thinking mac is going to have a slam dunk draft?
    Serious question

20. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

To be quite honest, I think he is better at his job than Bowles is at his job. Macc is a professional and his background as a scout is what makes me believe in him the most. I do not think he's done an amazing job and to be quite frank I think he's done a pretty middling job thus far as he's done some really nice things and also failed miserably on others. I think he has drafted some nice pieces and its still early. I think as a GM you have to try to make your team competitive and when he was hired our team was in shambles. He had a ton of a cap and made the team ultra competitive and it came a whisker away from being in the playoffs.

2016 is the year that I think Macc got too cute. He and Bowles collectively screwed themselves by investing in Fitz and signing Mo to a long term deal.

I also think that drafting talent is half the story. The other half is coaching, how coaches utilize the talent, how they make that talent progress. I am unsure if certain players can prosper under Bowles but a lot remains to be seen.

So in all I think 2017 is going to have to be a slam dunk for them. After a horrific 2016 season, both Macc and Bowles need to self scout themselves to find what went wrong and how they can improve going forward.

And yes I know that I'm saying completely subjective reasons for why I think why Macc will have a good draft. I guess I just trust him more?

NCJetsfan likes this.