QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

even the JETS wouldn't do this right? I just cant even fathom it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Whatever, Geno stinks it up for 5 games, Petty for 5 and Hack for 6, we see what they all can do, likely get a Top 3 pick in 2018 if they all suck ass and hopefully get the QB we need as apparently there could be some good options.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Seahawks move: re-sign Geno to a cheap contract with incentives if he pans out, draft a 3rd round QB and then go into camp with a truly open competition between Geno, Petty, Hackenberg and the 3rd rounder. Let the best man win and see what happens in 2017. If it all falls apart? Well there will be QB's in the 2018 draft.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I can see your logic, but why not resign Geno, and then draft Mahomes or Watson and go into camp with those four, cutting either Petty or Hack? If Mahomes or Watson can start from Day 1, good; if not, start Petty/Hack or Geno and let Mahomes/Watson prepare themselves as the future starter when they're ready.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Br4d

I'm not opposed to drafting Mahomes or Watson but I am opposed to drafting them on the 6.

Neither of them is rated in the top 20 by any of the scouting services at this point. Scouts, Inc has Trubisky rated as the top QB at #32 on overall value. CBSSports has Trubisky at #12, Kizer at #20, Watson at #29 and Mahomes at #70. Kiper has Trubisky atop the QB list at #16 overall.

In other words the prospects this season are rated about as poorly as any group of prospects has been rated in quite awhile. The top guy on everybody's board has 13 college starts. That's less than Mark Sanchez had coming into the NFL.

I get that value is fluid but the QB's in this draft aren't exciting anybody at all. Again we're in the position where letting other people claw their way to the top to take a questionable value and then just sweeping up whoever is left at the bottom of the 1st or top of the 2nd seems to be the way to go.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If those are the rankings, I've got to question their validity. These guys are supposedly professionals, but how can they rank a guy like Trubisky, who as you noted, played less games than Sanchez, as the #1 prospect? How could they watch film of Mahomes and discount his raw ability? How could they discount Watson;s proven track record to that extent? You can certainly question my ability to judge, especially since I'm not a professional, nor do I have access to the resources these guys have, but in my gut, I think they're way off base.

Beyond that, as you've also noted before, teams will tend to over-reach for QBs, so I really don't see these rankings holding water in reality. They're going to all be gone most likely in the frst round, and even more likely in the first 20 picks.

FJF and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. Br4d

My gut tells me that the Browns will take one of them on the 12. Probably DeShone Kizer, who is from Toledo and will be very sellable to the fans after two years as the ND starter. I don't think another QB is guaranteed to go in the 1st round at this point. Strong combine performances and pro days will sell a QB if he can pull those off. I think DeShaun Watson is the other guy who may go in the 1st round, probably in the later part of the round to somebody trading back into the 1st or early in the 2nd.

Mitch Trubisky and Pat Mahomes will probably wind up going in the 2nd round at some point. If Cleveland decides to play the numbers game they'll take Garret and another strong prospect on the 12 and just take whoever of the QB's is still there on the 33. If that's Trubisky, well he's from Mentor, Ohio and they'll be just fine with that,

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

When you see how much money the Texans gave Brock Osweiler based on his body of work, which was neither extensive or good. It shows you how much a competent QB is worth. Brock pooped the bed in 2016 and to my eyes was the worst player behind center all year.

So we have to ask ourselves, what is a guy that has proven himself to be a top 10 QB statistically for 2 years straight worth to us?

The Mangold move without even trying to restructure (basing this logic off of no indicator saying there was) tells me the organization is doing far more than trimming the fat. This is a full gut job.

In the last 3 years the Jets have used two 2nd round picks and a 4th on QBs. Geno was a bust, Petty doesn't appear to be the guy, and nothing but negative comments have come out since Hack was drafted. In hindsight those picks would've been better spent elsewhere.

Which leads me to say Kirk Cousins should be given the next Brock Osweiler contract and by the Jets. If he's tagged again (which seems likely), offer 2018's 1st, Richardson & Marshall, and this year's 2nd and a 3rd. They're losing Garcon and Jackson to FA this year so Marshall could be enticing to them. This seems like a lot but if you compare it to the squandered picks dating back to Sanchez wasted on QB it's well worth it.

Cousins isn't an elite QB, I doubt he ever will be. He reminds me of a better version of Joe Flacco. And look at the contract Flacco has...

If this is a true gut job you have to have something to build on and I think it could start this year. Sign Cousins, use this years 1st that you kept (giving Washington the 2018 1st) and draft Fournette. Yes there's still a lot of work to be done but say we acquired a LT in FA, with those 3 moves we're instantly competitive.

9. Br4d

You have to give up the 1st this year if you do that.

If you give up 2018's 1st at this point and the Jets collapse and own a top 3 pick next year they'll have to move the franchise to have any credibility again.

Kirk Cousins isn't likely to win 4 games with the talent the Jets have around him assuming you made the trade you just offered.

Cousins BTW isn't going to win anything with anybody with a $20M+ cap figure. He's not that good and the talent around him wil be less than it ought to be if he's taking up an 8th of the cap.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I also agree .. we have enough weapons on Offense and our D is good enough. Right now we will only go as far as our QB play will take us.

11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I disagree with you, lb's stink, secondary stinks, no te, no ol, dl was mediocre, no kicker, punter stinks, special teams stink, coach stinks and lastly no qb...this ship has more holes than the Titanic!

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

eating a hamburger today and paying for it on Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

AHAHAHAHA

Just realized that's what Popeyes friend Wimpy used to say...

Back to Business..

I agree with Br4ds plan to have Hack Petty and maybe Geno (I am running backwards) Smith fight it out with Pat Mahomes (gotten in the second or third round)...this would be ideal

Hack and petty are fine young men but career backups imo...if Jets are smart eventually keep one and trade the other

Hopefully in draft we can trade down and get many 2nd/3rd round value picks (like PM just mentioned) to infuse young talent on OL CB TE etc

QB is the skill position you need to live or die for...next to OL its the Teams biggest need

Real QB value will be found in the 2 Cali kids when 2018 rolls around but we REALLY need to lose big in '17 (been afan since 1969 and cant believe I am saying this ..sigh)

So...given the current QB situation it just about guarantees a 4-12 for 2017 season and iam ok with that

jmho

#492 NYJetsO12, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

You guys that think we are only a QB away from winning are not being realistic. Would better qb play gotten us more wins ? Yes of course our qb was one of the worst in the league ! There is a difference between winning regular season games and winning playoff games or a Super Bowl , which right now for our Jets is a pipe dream ! That said our defense is beyond bad, starts from head coach to his buddy that coaches to the entire Defense! If you think signing Cousins or some other QB fixes us I have to disagree. We know nothing about our new Off Coordinator but as I said we know enough about Bowels .

14. NYJetsO12

I say line up Trubisky Kizer Watson and Mahomes on the 20 yard while on their knees and see who throws a bomb from there...:p

AHAHAHAHAHA

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

From what I understand Waldo Johnson Todd Bowles and KC Rogers are signed up for the Stanley H Kaplan NFL Coaching Prep Course for 2017 Season (results NOT guaranteed)

CBG likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jamarcus Russell beats them all.

hwismer and HomeoftheJets like this.
  17. Br4d

Yeah if the Jets could get Mahomes in the third and put those 4 into competition in camp it would be very interesting to watch. They'd have to be rigorous about having the winner take the job but that's how you wind up with somebody performing at their top potential - put them into a real competition and see if they sink or swim.

We don't know for sure that Rosen or Darnold will be the value in 2018 but it pays to put ourselves in position to be the one doing the picking.

It's going to take 3 wins or less to do that and really it might take 1 or 2.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

except bowles does not roll like that. there will be a starter anointed before camp and it will be his job to lose.

19. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

What you're not accounting for are the early round draft picks that will be used and wasted at the QB position during this time. We will continue to have a 1st round pick no better than 5th which completely takes us out of the running for a franchise QB. The decades of time have proven it's just not in the cards for us to get a David Carr or Russell Wilson, non 1st round drafted franchise QB. So here's our options.

1) Trade for a good QB if one comes available, which is beyond rare if this does happen.

2) "Earn" a 1st or 2nd overall draft pick

3) Trade into a 1st or 2nd overall, which is suicide if you don't have a good foundation due to the cost.

4) Use a 2nd-4th round pick every year on a "project guy" that you hope to develop.

5) Select a QB outside of the top 2 selections in the 1st round, commit to him inexorably for the next 4-5 years while all the other talent on the team dwindles or leaves and he never progresses to anything more than just a backup.

20. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Seems like we are finally giving the full rebuild a try

In that case there is really no reason not to go with the youth at QB

Resigning Geno to battle it out would be fine...and drafting one if they really like one of the prospects

Other than that it's a waste to go with anyone else out there unless we trade for a young backup (who?)....I could maybe see Glennon but I personally don't like him

ColoradoContrails, Jake and FJF like this.