TRADE VILMA: key for a dominant 3-4 defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jhsensation10, Nov 16, 2006.

1. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

with mangini here, we are not switching from the 3-4 defense that he has already implemented this season. let me go on record in saying that vilma is my favorite player on the jets. i have his jersey and will be sad to see him go. he is nasty and is a playmaker, but he does not fit this defense. here is why. in order for a 3-4 front to work, the defensive line has to be huge and good at occupying their gaps on the opposition's offensive line so they will not be free to come up and get a block on the LBs. this means they have to be strong solid players, not speed rushers. the DEs should be at least 6-4 and 280 lbs. the NT can be shorter, but should be about 320 lbs. the OLBs have to be able to rushing the passer and be athletic enough to drop in coverage. they should be at least 6-2 and 260 pounds. the MLBs have to be strong enough to shed blocks and make tackles. they should be about 250 pounds. so far, we do not have the right personnel to run this defense effectively week in and week out, but hopefully by next year, we can.

DE: shaun ellis is 6'5 285 lbs. and is a perfect 3-4 DE with great size and ability. he is always consistent and can also generate a pass rush. he is an important piece for our defense and should be here for at least 4 more years.

NT: dewayne robertson is 6'1 317 lbs. and has looked decent and might be able to become a good NT with more experience. maybe he can add some weight in the offseason with a better conditioning program and keep improving his technique for the NT position.

DE: alan branch (DT from michigan) is 6'6 330 lbs. and would be a richard seymour type player that could be rotated along the line. he has superb size and would be able to occupy 2 blockers each play. by trading vilma we would pick up a #15-20 pick and take him here.

OLB: bryan thomas is 6'4 266 lbs. and OLB in the 3-4 is perfect for him. he was not an effective 4-3 DE because he did not generate much pressure off the edge, but his position now gives him a running start and utilizes his strength which was run support.

OLB: lamarr woodley is 6'2 268 lbs. and could be a shawne merriman type player. he has shown that he has the ability to rush and get to the QB which is one thing we MUST improve this offseason. he is not listed as a top 32 pick as of now, but he is a very nice player and should be on our draft list. if we must, take him with our own 1st rounder which hopefully is in the 20s if we make the playoffs this year.

MLB: victor hobson is 6'0 252lbs. and we are misusing him because he should be playing ILB because he is short but very big and strong. he came out of michigan as an ILB because his strengths are shedding blocks and tackling. hes not a very athletic LB who can do all the tasks needed for an OLB and isn't big enough to be consistently effective rushing the passer because he needs to take on offensive tackles and TEs of the opposing team.

MLB: eric barton is 6'2 245 lbs. and is a tackling machine. we should keep him inside because he is strong enough to shed blocks and tackles anything that gets in his way. (sometimes too roughly as we all know, but i love the tenacity)

so as you can see, there is really no spot for vilma anymore. he cannot play OLB because he's too small and will be gobbled up by OTs who are 100 lbs. heavier than him. his strength is to play in space, not take on blockers which he is doing over and over at ILB, or rush the passer.

ALSO, another key reason why i would suggest this is the play of kerry rhodes. hes is ridiculously good, and has become our troy polamalu. hes everywhere from rushing the passer to making interceptions. hes huge at 6'3 and can jump to the moon. so he is a rover type player that we can bring to the line and make the vilma-type plays in space. now we just need another tackling machine with block shedding abilities to play along side of barton, which we have in hobson. i know we all think that we need to generate some pass rush and we get that with woodley. also, we one more dlinemen to come in for kimo vol oelhoffen and we get that rather nicely in branch. the line is where the game is won and if we can have another excellent draft, we will be contenders for some time.

remember- by trading vilma this year which will be the highest his value could possibly be from now on since he won DROY 2 years ago and was a probowler last year, we would essentially have the ability to get another important peace for our 3-4 defense. getting branch in the mid- first would be excellent and if woodley dropped to say the redskins's second rounder which should be around 40 consider they are horrible, we could even get marshawn lynch with our own 1st rounder.

imagine- branch, lynch, woodley, plus we still have a second rounder, preferably to use on a RT, we would be set with both lines for a long time. again, i apologize for the suggestion of one of our truly loved, but with this defense and without a position for him, it is necessary.

let me know what you think. thanks.

2. Penning-10

Penning-10 New Member

all I read was the title

3. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Put down the Madden game and experience the real world before trying to talk football

4. Tight

Tight Active Member

No. womp womp womp. Turn off the 360 and wake up, and even if we did trade him your out of your mind if you think we get a 1st rounder after this season.

This guy.

and besides lets give him a chance now that weve rearranged our line and dewayne seems to have turned it around.
    I can live with him leaving when hes a FA, I don't know how i'll sleep if we trade him.

#4 Tight, Nov 16, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  5. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

im sorry, i have forgot to clarify. no moronic replies like the three above. i forgot there are morons out there and forgot to say that if you don't have any real responses except ones that make you look like a d-bag, just don't post it. not that hard of a concept. msu, i've forgotten more about football than you will ever know. and tight, you are a loser and there are multiple ppl on this board that agree with me.

6. GreenMachine

Way to solidify your post...:wink:

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I always love seeing that one pop out, it's like when they toss a gopher into the anaconda tank.

8. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

9. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

10. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

11. Tight

Tight Active Member

I have'nt heard it so basically your word means less then nothing. Dig a hole

http://www.forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=348660&postcount=16

To sum it up for those who dont have time to waste reading bs.

He thinks woodley will drop the second. :/

We can trade vilma for a top 15 pick and draft alan branch :/

then we can also draft lynch. :/

If this not maddenitus, I dont know what is.

#11 Tight, Nov 16, 2006
  12. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Worst post of all-time

13. GreenMachine

14. jetbugga

jetbugga Member

whats the point of having a 1st rnd draft pick then?

15. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

so we can draft another vilma

16. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

whatever, i've had problems in the past with you. you are a coward, editing your post like a pussy after i respond to yours. you are a loser who ive had conversation with other people on this board. you need to get a life, not change your username, and basically just end yourself and do us all a favor. you do not deserve any respect and you are lucky if you never meet me in person fool.

17. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Can anyone translate this for me?

18. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

means you are a loser who has nothing better to do than to think you are funny.. add an S after conversation, and to after with wise guy. what a pathetic fool.

almost 20 replies, not 1 good response. guess no one has a brain.. oh.. keep editing tight, you coward

19. Tight

Tight Active Member

???????????

#19 Tight, Nov 16, 2006
  20. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Haha, this guy is like Jeaux's cousin in New York. You see all the stat work he was building up in that post. He's onto something I tell ya! :lol:

#20 Jetzz, Nov 16, 2006