QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Prescott had a world class OL, an elite RB and receivers. He did great, but put him behind the Jets line and the outcome would be different and the evaluation of starting a first year one-read QB would have been different.

And Mariota is doing well, but he was a blue chip prospect and consensus first/second pick of the draft.

And you didn't mention all the busts. Vince Young, RG3, Geno, Manziel, Goff, I can name a dozen.

#321 PulseJet, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Of course there are more "busts"...or more accurately, there are only a few elite QBs, and it's hard to tell because the college and pro games are so different. Which is why relying on stats isn't a good prediction method - they can be bent to show whatever you want to show. That's why Mark Twain said, "There are three kinds of lies: Lies; damned lies; and statistics". The "intangibles" are much more important, but also not really able to quantified - that's why they're called intangibles.

Here's an interesting article that discusses the perils of drafting a QB. It's ALWAYS risky, as the stats in this article show. BUT you need to find a FQB. SO how do you do that? The guy who made the fist comment under the article I think answers this: You need to trust your eyes and instincts, and not just the numbers. This isn't what GMs and coaches want to hear. They want to believe that you can trust the numbers; that everything can be quantified, but in sports, it can't be. How many times do guys who shouldn't even be in the pros wind up excelling?

Now what you might conclude from the stats in the article is that it makes no sense to EVER draft a QB with a 1st pick or in the first couple rounds, but getting an Aaron Roger, John Elway, Peyton Manning, et. al. means you need to get the 1st, 2nd, 3rd pick. It's a process filled with a high chance for failure, but there's no way to make it any more predictable because the difference between the great ones and the busts is in the intangibles. The best you can do is to have someone who is good at evaluating these intangibles. Unfortunately the Jets have been lacking in this department for most of their history.

#322 ColoradoContrails, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Dibben likes this.
  3. PulseJet

Hey, did you attach an article to be read? I dont see it.

Anyway, agreed intangibles are the most important part. Obsessive work effort, emotion, drive to win. All necessary.

At today's post game press conference, Bill Belichick gave a very interesting answer to a question asked about Tom Brady's pass accuracy. He said that in Brady's second year as a starter, he really focused on his mechanics, refined his throwing motion, and basically became the accurate passer he is today. We all know the history, that Belichick had no idea of what Brady would become, merely that he had value and was better than other QB options in the 6th round. It was no lightening strike... no premonition of who Brady would become. Just luck and fortune to draft this guy with insatiable drive and great intangibles. But the remarkable thing is it wasn't until Brady's second year, he had already been a Super Bowl MVP, where Brady actually achieved setting himself apart from the rest.

This is why I want to stick with Petty to see what he has. No one knows what he will acheive, and the odds are against him, but he showed marked improvement from his first to second year and has the intangibles (first in the building, a leader) you associate with a winner. Let's build a team around him and see if he can grow into the role. And we have absolutely NO idea what Hack is made of. He might very well be Brady to Petty's Bledsoe. Who knows?

But I can tell you that this constant drumbeat to bring in a past their prime guy like Romo or even Alex Smith is tiring. Its not the answer. Didnt work when the Jets brought in Favre. Wont work now.

#323 PulseJet, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  4. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Trouble is this is the least patient fan base\ownership in the NFL - they both crave instant satisfaction and they'll both turn on the HC/GM to get it.

TwoHeadedMonster and abyzmul like this.
  5. PulseJet

Impatient in both ways, either by bringing in a vet QB who gives you a good year (Favre, Fitz) or by putting a rookie QB on the field when he is better served being on the bench (Sanchez, Geno)

I'd like to see how this letting QB's learn a few years on the bench works out. I want to see if Petty can be a quality NFL starter. Anybody who says he cant do it is bullshitting. No one knows the answer to that because they dont know what he is doing right now to improve his game.

The more I think of it, the more I say dont even bother with another vet. If Petty does bad, at the midway point in the season put Hack in like Petty was put in last year. Draft someone this year so they have their redshirt season. Keep doing it until you get the performance required to win.

#325 PulseJet, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  6. ColoradoContrails

Sorry, my bad. I guess I didn't actually put the link in my post so here it is, FWIW:

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2015/04/success_for_quarterbacks_picke.html

7. ColoradoContrails

I completely agree. Let's see what Petty can do first. But by drafting someone like Watson or Mahomes, they can be the "insurance", rather than an overpaid or over-compensated vet that won't make any real difference in the long run. And like you said, there's also Hack who might be the next Tom Brady or the next bust, so go with Petty, Hack, and Watson or Mahomes and roll the dice. The worst that happens is they they all suck and the Jets "win" a top draft pick in next year's supposedly deep QB pool.

8. PulseJet

HOLY SHIT CC, that article is nearly identical to my post written last month. You would think I plagiarized this guy, but I didn't. Wish I found his article. It would have saved me a few hours of data analysis! Here is my post...

http://forums.theganggreen.com/thre...land-a-franchise-qb-in-the-first-round.87931/

9. ColoradoContrails

Actually we're impatient because we've been waiting almost 50 years for this franchise to return to glory, but even with that impatience, most fans would be happy to give some time to allow someone with a clue to rebuild the team the right way. We all were hopeful that hiring Macc and Bowles was that first step in that direction, but after two so-so drafts, and watching Bowles look almost as clueless as Rex on the sideline, most of these fans believe that this is NOT the direction the team needs to go in. And really, we ought to know: we've witnessed enough failure to know it when we see it.

Of course the real solution is for Woody to either hire a President of Football Ops who knows who to build a winning NFL team, or sell the team to someone who does. I'm not holding my breath on either count. But I'll tell you this: after rooting for them since 1962 when they were still the NY Titans, I object to being called "impatient".

10. PulseJet

That's the play.

11. ColoradoContrails

I guess this is a topic that will never die until, if, we finally get that FQB.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The thing is, would you trust Woody to hire the right guy for President of Football Ops? I wouldn't. More than likely, he'd hire some doofus who was the equivalent of Tanny, Bradway, Idzik, Kotite & Bowles all rolled into one.

13. ColoradoContrails

Sadly, you're right.

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

with all the shit talking about our coaching woes, lets not forget the Cleveland browns fired bill bellichick after 4 years in which he went a combined 36-44 1 playoff appearance (1-1 in the playoffs) and only 1 season above 500
    5 years later (after a stint with NE as an assistant head coach% DB coach and with the jets as an assistant head coach and DC) we went on to be the head coach of the patriots. Then he went 5-11 in his 1st year coaching them.
    Now after 17 seasons he's 201 wins 71 losses 5 SB wins, 7 SB appearances, 14 playoff appearances etc.

well i think you get the point.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If you keep in mind that the Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and won the SB with Trent Dilfer at QB perhaps they did what was best for them.

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

true and what have they've done since? meanwhile bellichick won 5 Sbs
    it's not a knock on cleveland for firing him, it's a knock on not letting a coach have enough time to build. when you hire a head coach it's an investment in your franchise you need to see it through. it's like buying in a stock and then it drops a few points and you sell right away to cut your losses, then years later the stock is up 20 points and you missed out. sometimes you have to let it ride and hope it pays off

17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Take it for what it's worth but Mike Francesa said his sources indicate that Jay Cutler wants to come to New York.....and apparently Jets are looking to hire Jeremy Bates as their QB coach who was with the Broncos when Cutler and B.Marsh where on the Bronocs

18. PulseJet

If Cutler is the QB I don't plan on watching.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Bringing in an established QB will work much worse right now than it did in 2008. The Jets were primed for a run in 2008 with some established young talent (D'Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Cotchery, Rhodes, Leon Washington, ) some prime to late prime free agents (Kris Jenkins, Pace, Thomas Jones, Faneca, Woody) and some homegrown vets ready to rumble (Ellis, Moore, Thomas, Coles).

The Jets had worked every angle for the previous 2 years in 2006 and 2007 to setup a mini-window and bringing in Favre was like icing on the cake.

Right now the Jets have less established young talent, fewer prime to late-prime free agents and less homegrown vets than that 2008 squad.

You bring in Tony Romo and if he doesn't get hurt he's going to go 8-8, just like he did in Dallas over and over again when there wasn't enough talent around him. If he gets hurt in camp or early on the Jets will probably go 1-15 to 4-12 next year and if the price for Romo was the 1st in 2018 the fans will be rioting in the stadium by season end. Those that actually bother to come out at that point.

20. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

What's FQB?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk