Schefter: Jets to hire Saint's WR Coach John Morton as their OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dom, Jan 29, 2017.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Simply put, nobody knows how this will work out. Schematics, Offensive line play, and QB play are a large part of an offenses success.

I don't hate the hire nor do I love it. Without prior experience as an offensive coordinator, it is hard to be overly critical of this hire. Addressing the offensive line and bringing some genuine innovation to our offensive philosophy could do wonders for Hack or any other young QB the Jets attempt to develop.

2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Guy hasn't called an offensive play in his life besides one year at USC which led to him being relieved of his duties after a year...

I'm not holding my breath.

3. Jay Bizniss

QB Development? What's that?

donkey likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's not fair he was relieved of his duties because the HC bailed on him and the team. The new HC wanted his own guys. He wasn't relieved of his duties for performance.

5. Jay Bizniss

I wasn't sure of the particulars so thank you for that, I just really don't feel too good with the hiring. Have a feeling things are going to look very similar to Morningshit/Sparano days. Not in terms of play calling, but in terms of execution. We don't have a QB, and until then we are fucked.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

oh yeah we need a QB for sure. But in the meantime we needed an OC. I don't know much about this guy but looking at his resume its about as good an option as I think we could hope for. Not too many quality experienced OCs looking to join a team with no QB and a HC on the hot seat.

Morningwood and Sparano were experienced OCs that joined a team with no QB and a HC on the hot seat. That certainly didn't work out. Going for a young guy chomping at the bit for a chance to run a show after having learned from two of the brightest modern coaching minds in the game is a decent change of pace risk that I am good with. I just wish we knew more about his philosophies.

NCJetsfan and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  7. I could be wrong about this but my understanding was he called plays at USC for all of Matt Barkeley's time as QB...09-11? It was definitely more than 1 season.

Jets need alot more than just a play caller. They need someone to build an offensive philosophy from the ground up & can re-build the confidence/dynamics of this unit. Not an easy task. once that gets established then we can zero in on what he likes to call on 3rd down,against pressure..etc.

None of us really know anything about the guy. But you gotta like where he's been & where his expertise lies. When's the last time the Jets had someone who could properly develop anything pass game related like this guy has WRs?

Unless you've got the perfect situation or are dissing out major $ for a big name..this is how quality coordinators ascend in the NFL. You have to be willing to take a risk that a positional coach can take the jump.This modern passing game is still evolving..you need someone with innovation & originality.You just hope the unknown you take a chance on...can make the jump & be a fixture

Mogriffjr, NCJetsfan and NYJFOREVER like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So, does his connection to Matt Barkley suggest that Barkley may be in our future as the "insurance" QB?

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Morton was the passing coordinator while Barkley was the QB at USC and he saw his completion percentage rise from 59.9% to 69.1% and from 15 TDs with 14 INTs to 39 TDs with 7 INTs over 3 seasons (When he left the comp. pct went down to 63.6% and TD/INT went to 36/15. Of course it can be argued this was just normal development and not any of Morton's doing but it's just as valid an argument for the choice as those bashing the choice because he doesn't have a huge OC resume.

#209 The Waterboy, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I mean right now there isn't much to go on. But you have to like that the WR group under his watch has been very very good. Also, he's been in there (I'm sure) being apart of the Saints game planning from week to week. It's all a guesswork, but learning from one of the top offensive minds in the NFL has to make you feel at least somewhat confident this has a chance to work...we will see.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If Johnny Morton brings half of Drew Brees out of Petty or Hack, I'll start a campaign. Morton for the Head Coach.

For real.

[I don't expect I would have to do that yet.]

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks NC
    At this point I am less concerned about the OC influence on the offense and more concerned about Todd Bowles influence on the OC. I don't see TB as a strategist and astute game planner, but rather a one dimensional keep it simple and mitigate mistakes.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

LOL
    The way I see it, if he gets more production out of the WR that is a key step, if he improves the production of our QB, that is a significant improvement, if he makes our offense relevant again then TB better stick his nose elsewhere, as in the defense who sucked major balls last year and let the guy do his job.

15. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

If he's really good, a future hc could always retain him. If he's average or sucky then he'll fall with Bowles. Either way, the guy is going to be auditioning for his job next year wherever it will be.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Seems a little negative. Bowles has a lot of respect around the league. I hope he turns it around in 2017.

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

I just want to know if this guy is going to use a freaking TE. Its absolutely insane not to feature one in todays NFL.

19. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

TE? Wait, what? Chan Gailey didn't need no stinkin' TE...

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member