Schefter: Jets to hire Saint's WR Coach John Morton as their OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dom, Jan 29, 2017.

1. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

That's not saying much. I don't want him merely for his bullshit. It's bad enough I live in the opposite side of the continent and he dominated the news, fuck all if he's on the Jets. I have only 1 political dissent flavor I like and it's rage against the machine. Fuck kap and his imaginary struggles

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Play callers don't grow on trees. Further, the fact that someone has called plays before doesn't mean they are good at it, as we've witnessed time and time again.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

3. David-The-Meats-Harris

While I agree, I would have hoped for a little more

4. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

He had a hand in the saints passing attack, and helped make Bradin Cook and Willie Snead what they are so there's that....... I think there hoping he helps the growth of our young WR's...... problem is, without at least a decent qb, none of our WR's will reach their potential

5. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

2 positives IMO

At least it wasn't that RB coach from Denver which would have been one of the worst movies, ever.

And at least it wasn't someone involved in bringing Osweiler to Houston

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  6. Brandon Moore's Butt

Brandon Moore's Butt Active Member

[​IMG]

Toronto's Biggest likes this.
  7. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Withholding opinion until I hear from him and his philosophy. But glad he comes direct from a prolific passing offense and the coach has alot of experience under successful HC's. If the Jets shifted to a run-first philosophy I think that would be a big mistake. The defense just isnt good enough. They need the O to score points to win.

8. David-The-Meats-Harris

Yeah but the secondary and lb corps didn't really get it done. Not saying greene is gonna fix his little piece of the pie but if they can, they can keep a younger qb relatively out of harms way. Trust me, I hate that philosophy but, it may be all they have.

9. David-The-Meats-Harris

I think I've expended my single thread post limit by about 60 posts. Sorry

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Where in his resume has he ever been in charge of an entire offense, on ANY level? That's a real concern, as we've seen in the hiring of Bowles to be the HC when he never was a HC at any level. Being in charge of multiple responsibilities is very difficult, and not everyone is capable of doing it, regardless of how much knowledge they possess. I would've preferred a college HC who knows how to coordinate everything, even if he wasn't familiar with the pros.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What do you expect from a totally dysfunctional organization like the Jets?

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Upon further reflection, not only have the Jets now hired an OC with NO OC experience, to go along with a HC that had no HC experience, to go along with a GM with no GM experience. This is a total Amateur Hour. I'm getting more disheartened with every move they make.

13. NCJetsfan

Excellent point, but he was the OC for USC for one season (but I think it was in 2009, so it was a while ago).

14. NCJetsfan

LOL No need to apologize. Post away.

15. NCJetsfan

As OC, he won't have time to work with the WRs. Besides, Dorrell was probably our best coach last season. I'm not sure he needs any help with the WRs.

16. ColoradoContrails

That wasn't mentioned in this article about him:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...orton-offensive-coordinator-article-1.2958846

"Morton has been the Saints wide receivers coach since 2015 but previously worked under Sean Payton as an offensive assistant/passing game coordinator with New Orleans in 2006. Prior to his latest stint with the Saints, he was the wide receivers coach with the 49ers from 2011-2014 under Jim Harbaugh. Before that, Morton worked at the University of Southern California, as a wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator with a single season as offensive coordinator in 2009.

Before working for the Saints the first time he also spent time coaching at the University of San Diego and with the Raiders."

17. NCJetsfan

Erm, sorry but I think you may just be reading things too quickly. Please re-read what you quoted above. As hint, it's in the very last line, and I bolded it for you. ;):p:D

18. ColoradoContrails

OOOPS! My mistake.:D

Still, I wouldn't say he has a ton of experience, certainly not recent, and certainly not at the pro level.

I stand by my assessment that this has become Amateur Hour.

19. NCJetsfan

LOL No problem, my friend.

Oh, your assessment is definitely correct. He doesn't have a lot of experience, and has none at the NFL level as an OC, and it is Amateur Hour. Where is Ted Mack when you need him? The thing is, however, experienced GMs are almost never available, and even when they are, I don't think they get second chances most of the time. A while back, I did a search and I don't think I found a single GM in the last 5-10 years who had been fired by one team and then hired by another. The only one I can think of who changed teams was Bill Polian, who went from the Bills to the Panthers to the Colts, and I don't think he was fired. I think he just changed teams when his contract was up, but I could be wrong.

20. ColoradoContrails

You're right, it's unusual for GMs to switch teams, either by choice or because they were fired, but it does happen. How about Mike Holmgren? And speaking of which, he's probably happily retired, but I think hiring him as Pres. in charge of football operations would be brilliant.

In any case, Woody has completely screwed this already screwed up franchise even worse. England isn't far enough away for him.