If you were McCagnan and Bowles what would you do?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 4, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

It's a very difficult position to be in for both of them considering their boss seems to have left the building to shake hands over at Buckingham Palace.

Bowles needs to make to the playoffs in order to save his job which isn't going to happen next year with this roster and QB situation.

McCagnan probably could survive without the team making the playoffs if his draft picks begin to develop and he has a solid offseason. In that instance I think Woody fires Bowles and allows McCagnan to have the opportunity to pick his own coach.

So with that said if I am Bowles once I realize that playoffs aren't going to happen I am doing whatever I can to create the optic that this is a roster problem rather than a coaching problem. This would allow me to save face in NFL circles and hope that I can get hired as a DC somewhere and get another shot down the line (he's still a young guy). The best way to do this would be to play Christian Hackenberg in a game.

If I am McCagnan I take the Idzik approach without being so obvious. Cut the fat off the steak (we all know the names) to create cap space and use that cap space in a fiscally responsible way. Wasting Woody's money on high priced free agents that Bowles and his pop warner coaching staff (no good assistants are going to come into this situation) won't know how to use is a bad idea. Unlike Idizik he is also going to need to hit on this draft. The main reason John got fired was that his last draft was an unmitigated disaster that was evident as early as Week 1. McCagnan needs to draft an impact player with the 6th overall and also needs to bring in a young QB that gives the fans something to be excited over now that he knows that Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg are not the answer. Under no circumstance can I give Bowles and excuse to use Hackenberg.

Personally I believe both will be gone next year and should have been fired this year.

Bowles: Might be a good coach someday, but will never be a fit for NYC and wasn't ready for the Jets job

McCagnan: Unfortunately I think he's incompetent. Anyone who would draft a QB with a 53% completion percentage in college in the 2nd round should not be involved with an NFL organization.

2. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick

MoWilkBeast and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Maccagnan will have a harder time saving face that Bowles will. Coaches often get a second chance, especially ones like Bowles who get ringing endorsements from big name football guys.

If they were to start to publicly work against each other, neither of them have a shot at getting back to their current position. Maccagnan can go back to being a head scout or something and still make more money than all of us. No reason to peg it as the others fault.

I don't see Hackenberg as the savior, but good lord can he play an NFL snap before he's pegged as the worst NFL quarterback ever drafted?

#3 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Saving race. Freudian slip lol?

5. JethroTull

I don't think there has ever been a QB drafted that couldn't hit an ocean.

Did you see him play the 4th preseason game? I think some high school kids could have done better.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Lol. iPhone had something else in mind.

There have been plenty of quarterbacks that were as horrible as Hackenberg was early on in their careers. As I said, I don't think he'll be an excellent quarterback but I'm going to wait and see him play before I annoint him as a bust.

NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Let's not use the preseason to judge players, especially QBs, they are playing with bottom of the barrel guys looking to hang on as special teams players.

8. JethroTull

Name me one QB as bad as Hackenberg was at PSU that was successful in the NFL?

Hackenberg is on the level of Ryan Lindley and Logan Thomas.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

We have had this discussion on this board plenty of times, no need to start it again. Just paruse through some of the threads.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

I mean in recent history Trevor Siemen comes to mind. He's obviously not a great NFL quarterback but he's decent enough.

There aren't many examples. But Maccagnan saw something there, so we'll find out soon enough. Regardless of his poor performances he still has the skillset and football IQ. The question is going to be whether or not he can improve his accuracy.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If I were Mac and Bowles I kick back and listen to "Aqualung" with stereo headsets...

(Ian Anderson was awesome on the flute!)

Endlessly Counting likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Dig it man!!

Hmmm ..A song about a homeless pedofile...hehe

"Aqualung"

Sitting on the park bench --
    eyeing little girls with bad intent.
    Snot is running down his nose --
    greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes.
    Aqualung
    Drying in the cold sun --
    Watching as the frilly panties run.
    Aqualung
    Feeling like a dead duck --
    spitting out pieces of his broken luck.
    Whoa, aqualung

Sun streaking cold --
    an old man wandering lonely.
    Taking time
    the only way he knows.
    Leg hurting bad,
    as he bends to pick a dog-end --
    he goes down to the bog
    and warms his feet.

Feeling alone --
    the army's up the road
    salvation a la mode and
    a cup of tea.
    Aqualung my friend --
    don't you start away uneasy
    you poor old sod, you see, it's only me.
    Do you still remember
    The December's foggy freeze --
    when the ice that
    clings on to your beard was
    screaming agony.
    And you snatch your rattling last breaths
    with deep-sea-diver sounds,
    and the flowers bloom like
    madness in the spring.

Submit Corrections
    Visit www.azlyrics.com for these lyrics.
    Thanks to telkhines, Paul Welch for correcting these lyrics.

13. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

If I am Bowles I make a beeline into Christopher Wold Johnson's office and tell him it was all the other guy's fault. If I am Mac I make a beeline into Christopher Wold Johnson's office and tell him it was all the other guy's fault...

14. JethroTull

Siemian is a good example, but he was also drafted in the 7th round by a guy who knows what an NFL QB looks like.

15. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

You know, Trump likes Brady and Kraft, maybe he is getting Woody out of the picture so
    there'll be no one to answer to, and the whole plane crashes. I have a feeling next year
    is going to make this year look like 1968.

Ron

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jake Delhomme is another good example. 64 touchdowns/57 interceptions on 52.6% completion in college.

Kurt Warner only started one season at Northern Iowa but I can't even find his statistics for that lone season and he played arena football/packed bags at a grocery store until he was 27.

Brett Favre only completed 52.6% of his college passes.

Matt Cassel isn't the greatest NFL success story but he's won 10 games with two superset teams. He threw 33 career passes at USC.

Trevor Siemen, as I mentioned, topped out at 11 touchdown passes in one season.

Steve Young put it together his last season, but he was unspectacular with 23 touchdowns/23 interceptions his first two years in college.

Warren Moon threw 19 touchdowns to 17 interceptions on 48.8 completion % for his career in college.

Tom Brady threw 30 touchdowns to 17 interceptions in his career and as we all know was a sixth round selection.

Drew Bledsoe only completed 54% of his passes in college.

Joe Montana threw 25 touchdowns/25 picks on 52% passing. He too topped out at 11 touchdowns for his career high.

Matt Hasselback threw 22 touchdowns to 26 interceptions on 55.6% passing. He lead the Seahawks to the Super Bowl.

Mark Rypien threw 28 touchdowns to 29 picks in college on 56.2% passing. He won a Super Bowl with the Redskins.

Get the drift?

As I said, it's unlikely for Hackenberg to become an All-Pro. But not every good quarterback ever lit the world on fire in college.

I forgot to add. Let's compare Christian Hackenberg to all of these players.

He threw 48 touchdowns to 31 interceptions on 56.1% passing. He was 21-17 as a starter.

#16 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    MoWilkBeast, iJet, Jets69 and 7 others like this.
  17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Macc and Bowles are going to need to have the season of their lives. If Macc doesn't hit on 4 picks that immediately impact the roster, and if Bowles continues the insane personnel decisions, piss poor timeout usage, poor in game adjustments, etc. they will both be gone and if we have a similar season to 2016 then both may be gone mid season.

As for the Hackenberg hysteria, I personally think that people have blown it out of proportion. I understand why given the bad optics of the eagles preseason game, and the bad college tape, but you also have to give his situation more of a nuanced look. I've defended him because I think its way too early to label a kid a bust before he takes a meaningful snap.

Also, now with the coaching changes, and specifically the firing of Gailey, the system has to be relearned by Hackenberg.... does that help? absolutely not, but he is a brain so I am less concerned about than some may be. All I want is the Jets to go all in on Hack and devote the necessary time, attention, and effort into developing him right. He's a 2nd round pick and is more than capable of running a pro style offense. Give him the meaningful reps, bring in a OC and QB coach who will attack his mechanics vigorously because if they don't they will ruin the kid before he ever plays.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

We shouldn't be as concerned with the win loss record as much as we should be concerned with the progression of players.

Can players like Brandon Shell, Juston Burris, Jordan Jenkins and Lorenzo Mauldin step in to be considered NFL starters?

Can Mauldin & Jenkins combine for say 12 sacks? Does Burris become a quality #2 corner? Does Shell start all 16 games?

Is the team playing hard every week? Does Mohammad Wilkerson in particular play hard every week and rebound to earn his contract?

If we see progression and hard play, then you can live with another 5-11 season. If it's a dumpster fire again with all of the locker room problems, then we can really start calling for their heads. I've changed my tune on this a bit, primarily because we are stuck with these two guys and I want to see them do well.

I think the roster is better than most are giving it credit for. It'll also be extremely telling as to these guys futures if the dead weight is not trimmed (Revis, Richardson, Marshall). We will see the same cancerous locker room atmosphere if they're retained and we will not see a true rebuilding year.

19. JethroTull

I feel that most of those guys were in college 20+ years ago when the game was much different. Today its much more friendly to QB's and talented ones should be able to put up numbers.

Siemian is the only modern day example and I actually follow Northwestern football and was a season ticket holder during Siemians years.

I for one am not an NFL scout and did not see him becoming a viable NFL backup yet alone starter, but I will say he was part of a goofy two QB system that probably stunted his development and by the time his senior year rolled around and he had the job to himself the team was absolutely bereft of talent outside of a c

20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The better question would be "what do u think they will do?"

Because what I want them to do and what I think they will do doesn't mesh.

I want them to start Hack, finish dead last, get 1st overall in the 2018 draft and get fired. Then be replaced by John Harbaugh who wants to leave the Ravens for a job with full control.

What I think they will do is try to fill holes with vets in free agency, they will cut a few high priced vets, draft defence mostly and give Marshall and Decker a serviceable QB. We finish 8-8.