Defend Maccagnan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This team was supposed to have talent, at least the defense was supposed to be good and we spent a shitload of money to make it that way..well the defense is absolute shit and the team is too and that lies squarely at the feet of boerls and maccagnan..so yes fire them and fire them now, don't even wait for the last game to be over..don't fire them and see how many people show up for the games next year.

CBG likes this.
  2. Petty N da Heartbreakers

I agree completely. Everyone says it was a bad move bringing fitz back(after a record breaking season no matter how lucky it was).
    But if he didn't resign him and the jets were 4-11 he would have been fired instantly and every jets fan would be sending him death threats. He had to bring him back whether he wanted to or not. That is what a rabid fan base will do to ya

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

You know what amazes me,,,this team sucked ass before the injuries so anyone that uses that as an excuse is coping out ! We lost Decker ,,,,then we played for weeks / months and this team sucked ! How do you describe the defense ? was it injury plagued or just a plague ? besides LEE who else was hurt ? it appears the coaching staff was on the DL from game 1 on,,,,enough with the cop outs this coach is in s far over his head shit can them all and put Mikey Mac on notice ------> make tremendous strides next year or your gone also ps inquire sunday right after the Saint game is over about Sean Peytons availability and what draft pick or picks it will take to get him,,,,rant over

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mo gonna get 10+ sacks next season, I bet you 50 bucks.

5. 101GangGreen101

LMAO Paxton Lynch can't hit the broadside of a barn ... he was trash before the draft and he's trash now. He's a total bro though. Everyone was like wahhh why didn't we draft Paxton Lynch????

Red Menace likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying that Bowles should stay. I was just trying to be fair. When you've lost 70 games by starters and only 38 of 53 players are still on the active roster by the end of the season, it does make a difference, and any coach or team would have had some struggles. That said, Bowles made few attempts to try anything different, and seemed to have no answers. I think he definitely should go.

If Bowles is fired, then Mac should be allowed to hire his own HC. If so, then he would need to stay a minimum of 2-3 years for a fair evaluation. You couldn't have another situation where you fire the GM, keep the HC and look for another GM that will accept the HC that is in place. You also couldn't fire the HC two successive years in a row. GMs can take longer to develop. In addition, the "competitive rebuild"s should be scrapped, and a true rebuild undertaken. If that happens, then Mac and his HC would have to have 2-3 years to build the team and show signs of growth, improvement.

CBG and jets_fan like this.
  7. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

And Hackenberg is the definition of trash; Lynch despite being bad this year, is far better than Hackenberg. At least Lynch was GOOD enough to be the Broncos back QB, unlike the chosen one. Hackenberg is not going to amount to a quality starting QB, he does not have a mental foundation, and the fact that he wasn't even good enough to be a freaking backup QB is a huge red flag. He's awful. The Jets can continue to fool themselves and act as if mechanics is the main reason why Hackenberg has been bad, or they can be smart and abort their developmental plan for him and draft a QB early or sign Tyrod in FA.

tbruner12 likes this.
  8. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Free Agency:
    • Revis: When Mac was brought in, he inherited a decimated defensive backfield and had a HC in Bowles who needed alot of DB's to make his defense work. Mac had the cap room to work with, so he resigned Revis, which was considered pricey but Revis was far and away the best corner in the market and solidified the position. Revis played very well his first year, but age and potential injury saw his capability fall off very quickly. I don't think anyone could have seen that coming in 2016 and given the owner wanted to make a splash I dont blame Mac at all for the Revis signing. Dropping him next year will lead to some dead money but it isn't horrible.
    • Marshall: Great initial signing. Marshall had a career year last year and Mac was lauded for the deal. Performance dropped off major in year two. Is that the players fault, the coaches fault or the GM's? Definitely not the GM. Dropping Marshall next year leads to no dead money so good job Mac in structuring the deal like he did.
    • Fitzpatrick: A great initial signing. 6th round pick and small $$. Good move from Mac getting a guy that knew Gailey's system and was able to have a career year last year. Given his last year, I dont know how a GM not named Elway could refuse to bring Fitz. Initially, Mac offered $$ that was much lower than starting caliber QB's (but larger than the $3mio Fitz made last year) and in retrospect was likely the value Fitz was really worth. But he either changed his mind or was pressured by the coach or owner. We certainly know Marshall and Decker were putting pressure on management to get a deal done. We can ding Mac some for this decision but I dont know if he really had a choice.
    • Ryan Clady: Looked like a great signing at the time, given the hole Brick retiring left on the OL. Mac moved quickly to bring in a guy that played as well as Brick, but the injury bug hit and Clady didnt seem like his old self. Is that the GM's fault, the players or the coaches? We dont know.
    • Wilkerson: All I heard on this board after last season was PAY MO HIS MONEY!..... Mo was paid, then began to suck. Is Mo sucking the players fault, the coaches fault, or the GM's fault? None of us know the answer to that. But Mac handled the negotiations as well as could be expected. We thought Mo was going to hit FA up until the last few minutes, then Mo signed a deal that was large, but the guaranteed $$ was lower than the top DLinemen were signing for last year. It seems pricey now, given guys like Vernon look like world beaters and Mo looks like ass. But before the season it looked like a good deal for the Jets.
    Draft:
    • Likely good picks: Williams, Simon, Jenkins, Burris, Shell, Peake, Anderson, Petty (Irrespective, he will be an NFL QB backup for 10 years)
    • Question Marks: Mauldin, Lee, Hack
    • Likely Busts: D Smith, L Edwards
    • Busts: J Harrison
    Overall, I think Mac's drafts have been OK. Better than Idzik, most of his 2013-4 picks are out of the NFL entirely or are on practice squads.

Capology: Mac has handled the cap very well. Its been a horrible season, but other than Revis none of the veterans will add significant dead money by cutting them. Mac can cull all the veterans and have a $50 Mio war chest to build with. He developed a young core of WR's and LB's as was needed in 2015 and 16. Next up, a rebuild of the OL and DB's which will happen this year in earnest no doubt.

Overall I think Mac has done pretty well. If the coaching was better and players lived up to their contracts (a reflection of coaching) Mac would look much better in my view.

#148 PulseJet, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, JetDan and 2 others like this.
  9. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Thanks! And great name! Sums up the Jets the last few weeks!

10. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

This is exactly what Woody should do heading into this offseason. Mac has done enough to remain as the GM. Let him go out and get the next HC and let them try to rebuild the team over the next couple of seasons. By the end of the 2018 season, we should have an idea if things are headed in the right direction. The results might not yet bet there, but we should have an idea as to whether they're on the right track. That would put us in Year 4 of Maccagnan's tenure and Year 2 of his hand-picked HC. The focus this offseason should be squarely on getting things straightened out on the OLine to go along with the pieces that Maccagnan has put together with regards to the rest of the offense.

NCJetsfan and PulseJet like this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

It's too early to tell who is better. They both could very well be busts. Lynch didn't do anything in starter reps and has some serious accuracy issues too. I think Hack has a far better mental acumen in comparison to a Lynch who hasn't taken any snaps under center.

It's a developmental plan and they didn't want him to get live reps until they fix it. Will it pay-off? We will see. Personally, I think they need to go ahead and fix the offensive line, get younger and see what the kid has to offer next year. If Hack fails, the CS will more than likely get fired anyway. I would rather them not draft a QB in this draft. I would be down for a Tyrod Taylor depending on the price. I can see the Broncos going after him too.

12. BigSnacks54

First off , Lynch has taken snaps under center. Second, Lynch is better than Hackenberg. Once again, the Denver coaching staff had enough confidence in Lynch to make him the backup in case their starter was hurt. To kill Lynch in one of your posts, but defend Hackenberg is flat out silly. The Jets have been scared to even do that with Hackenberg. Third, the Jets plan for developing him is stupid. You don't carry four Quarterbacks if you're trying to develop a QB. You don't prevent a QB form getting practice reps if you're trying to develop a QB. The CS is going to get fired, regardless of Hackenberg, because they're incompetent and have shown next to zero positives in two years here.

Hackenberg was trash before the draft and will probably will continue to be trash in the furture. The Jets can continue to foolishly hope he'll be the answer. I wouldn't be surprised, especially when you realize that much of this fanbase and the team was in favor of bringing back a terrible journeymen QB.

tbruner12 likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

Just because you can take snaps under center doesn't mean you can be effective under center. It took Mariota close to 20+ games to finally start understanding that, and even so he has issues as well. Did you see Lynch? He's awful too. Lynch is freaking trash and can't hit the broadside of a barn with better coaching and better weapons. Like I just told you the previous post, saying Lynch is better then Hackenberg right now says absolutely nothing about their respective future.

What the Jets did last off-season is in the past, I absolutely disagreed on how they handled it which isn't the topic of this specific discussion. I am hoping he's the answer because it's all we really got right now bro. Not much hope ...

14. BigSnacks54

If you think this is the case, you haven't been paying attention to Mariota. But I'm not going to rehash this "under center" debate. Hackenberrg struggled to even throw accurate screen passes... if you call Lynch trash, call Hackenberg what he is- garbage. Killing Lynch but propping up Hackenberg and acting as if mechanics are his only issue/main one is laughable

tbruner12 likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

I've watched him play and I have to admit I was wrong about a couple of things because I didn't want him here, but I think I was right about a few things. Snaps under center, he wasn't good his rookie year, but he improved a LOT this year. The deep ball still isn't there. Sucks he got hurt.

16. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Bowles was fine last year. This year it just seems like the players were completely out of sorts, Revis giving up everything. Wilkerson being a ghost. DL not living up to potential, tons of injuries. Fitz holding out to the very last second.

I think he deserves another year to try to right this ship. He doesn't even need a year, if we go like 1-5 in our first 6 by all means fire him.

I think we should fire the DL, secondary and ST coaches. Maybe Gailey too.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

So we have to wait until we are 1-5 NEXT year before we fire Bowles? No, thanks. The jets are literally the worst-coached team in the NFL now, and are the laughing stock of the league. To quote the old delco comercial..."Wait for trouble...and you've got it."

Red Menace likes this.
  18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Sure, Bowles was great when the players learned what Rex taught them. Funny how another year removed from Rex everything changes a bit.

Ralebird and tbruner12 like this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

I never thought Lynch was all that great, but freshman yr Hackenberg and the bowl games, something was there and Mac saw it too. I think his absolute main issue is the mechanics. We don't have to relive that debate, though I enjoyed it a lot. I don't want it to seem as though I am hyping Hack up, he has the ability to play in this league I believe, but is flawed.

20. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

You haven't given any good reason why mac should be blamed - the team went 10-6 last year...people like you that do nothing then try to use logic based on 50/50 hindsight makes no valid argument. You can probably count on 1 hand how many here predicted the Jets would go 4-12 this year. Are you one of them ? I doubt it.