Defend Maccagnan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I was big on Yannick myself, but remember with this CS there was no guarantee that he would have gotten playing time.

Mauldin fits the same role that Yanick does, Lorenzo registered 5 sacks last year with some pressures and FFs.

This year, the CS has put Sheldon Richardson in his OLB/DE spot, even if the Jets would have drafted Yannick, the CS would have treated him the same way.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

No it isn't.

But it does tell us that the talent-depleted roster that Macc inherited is NOT his responsibility to begin with. If anyone wants to blame Maccagnan for his incompetence, he would have to talk about the specific mistakes that Macc committed. Blaming him for the mistakes from the past makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

And - look. Jets fluked onto 10-win season last year. Did they have a look of perennial 10+ win team? That's an emphatic NO. Coming into his first draft, we all knew Jets had gaping holes at a lot of the roster, starting with LB corps [Fuck you, Rex], the secondaries, [Dee Milliner, Dexter McDoodoo, holy shit.] the OL and the WR - that's just the big four. Jets had putrid special team that sucked for ages since Westhoff left. And don't forget the QB. If anybody told us, before the season, that the team Macc assembled last year looked like 10-win roster, we all would have asked him what he was smoking.

Year 2 - and we can safely chalk off WR off the need; and while Jets don't have that coveted edge-rushing OLB, Mauldin/Lee/Jenkins look better than any LB corp Jets fielded in the past decade. All of it happened within 2 off-seasons. And now we have people thinking Macc has to go. What the fuck are they smoking? Hell, Bowles doesn't even report to Macc for crying out loud. What incentive does he have to play the new kid Macc drafted? [Let's not even go to the coaching deficiency - it gets laughable.] And this is somehow Maccagnan's fault? That Bowles [and his coaching staff for that matter] fucked up? How?

#122 Zach, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    Jets_Grinch, PulseJet, barkus and 2 others like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember some posters here like Ngakoue before the draft. He went in the 3rd round, but the projections I saw had him going several rounds lower. His draft profile wasn't very good, either, but evidently the "experts" were wrong. I wonder how Mac and his scouts had him rated.

4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

All I can go by is what the results and decisions made have been unless we hear otherwise specifically stating that Bowles, Woody, or someone else was 100% behind a certain move.....Macc is the GM of the Jets, why would you think he didn't want Fitzpatrick back when we actually signed him?

How is my logic twisted? The Jets as an organization made a piss poor move in bringing him back and I think both of us were 100% against it....Macc isn't getting a pass here I don't know why he is from you

5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Maccagnan took over a team that hasn't drafted much talent in a long time, he came in here with the mandate of drafting well whilst also remaining competitive and as we all known having a competitive rebuild is one of the most difficult tasks in the NFL. He was forced to fill holes through free agency and literally all that could go wrong with those contracts, has gone wrong. After a promising year, things have fallen apart.

In large part, Macc is on the hook for the Fitzpatrick, Wilkerson and Sheldon problem. IMO, he caved with Fitz and should have stuck to his guns. If you value a player at 8m, you stick to that....just like John Elway was unwilling to move past the value he allotted to Fitz. He should have never signed Wilkerson with Leo and Shells on the team. He also should have traded away Sheldon Richardson at the deadline to Dallas but overplayed his hand and will now be lucky to get a 5th round pick for him.

Nonetheless, he has added a few nice pieces to this team which is much more than Tannenbaum and Idzik. There's no doubt to me that Macc is a better GM than Tanny and Idzik but I also want to see him improve. He was GM of the year his first year, but is probably mediocre for his second season. He will have to take a long hard look at the plan going forward and make sure he adjusts and self corrects.

Either ways, our team was devoid of talent and still lacks a lot. But I have seen enough scouting ability to think that we will, overtime, acquire talent through the draft. If Hackenberg amounts to being a legitimate QB then it catapults Macc into a legitimate high ranking GM....right now I would rate his job with the jets as a B-

PulseJet likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

He's not getting a "pass." I'm just waiting until I get more facts to make judgment.

Why would I think Mac didn't want Fitz back? How about because he offered him so little, and then waited so very late to re-sign him. I think he was content to go with Geno at QB and have Petty back up. I truly believe that Bowles wanted Fitz and lobbied Woody hard for him, and Woody finally ordered Mac to re-sign Fitz regardless of cost.

If it comes out that Mac wanted Fitz back all along and was just playing hardball to get him as cheap as possible, then I will definitely be unhappy with his decision and action.

7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

He still signed him though to be the starting QB of the NY Jets for $12 million dollars in the end

You might be right that it was all Bowles/Woody but I would need proof of that....What makes you think Macc never wanted Fitz back? It's also very likely he was just playing hardball and caved at the end.

You're willing to give the GM the benefit of the doubt in a bad move by something the GM would normally do just because you have a feeling about something.....How can we judge a GM if we just think certain moves normally made by the GM could have been from the owner

8. NCJetsfan

I think Mac never wanted Fitz back because of the very low initial contract offer he made. I could be wrong, but I think he thought that Fitz wouldn't accept it, but if he did, OK, he got him for what Mac thought he was worth. I don't think that Mac ever thought that Fitz was worth $12 million.

Well, to answer your last question, we really can't unless we get all the facts. That said, I think we have some clue because we all know what a clueless doofus Woody is when it comes to football, and the stupid decisions he's made before. I'd be willing to bet that Woody thought we would be a playoff team this year, so he was willing to pay Fitz whatever he wanted. We've seen it said by former employees that Woody can be swayed by personality and who gets his ear last.

The other thing is that Mac has never come across as being stupid or not understanding the game or what he's doing.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

macc signed on the dotted line with fitz. if he didn't think fitz was worth $12 mill the idiot shouldn't have signed him. He could've ended the conversation early by signing hoyer for $3 mill but he evidently felt it was a better idea to have a negotiation with himself. he is an idiot.

Jonathan_Vilma, abyzmul and tbruner12 like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

If your boss told you to do something that you didn't agree with, would you not do it if it meant you might lose your job?

11. BrowningNagle

I don't believe macc was in that situation you are just speculating and I certainly dont think he HAD to be in that situation. I laid out how to avoid it. He chose the stupid route. Everyone saw that decision blowing up in the Jets face

#131 BrowningNagle, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    101GangGreen101 and abyzmul like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

not to mention even if your BS speculation is true, being the guy that lost his job because he refused to pay Fitzpatrick $12 million would've gotten him tons of respect around the league from organizations that know a thing or 2 about football. He wouldn't have been out of a job for long and could've laughed at the jets like everyone else

101GangGreen101 and abyzmul like this.
  13. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

We can't blame Woody.
    Mac drafted a QB in round 2, in hopes that it would pressure Fitz into signing early and cheaper than $12 million. Neither tactic worked obviously. Mac missed on other QB's in the draft that had pretty good seasons, while ours was penned as a long term project. Mac is totally to blame for our QB situation, and to defend him is a joke. Everyone on this board knew our OL and DB's sucked, why couldn't Mac see it would kill our season? He is incompetent and needs to go, otherwise this debacle continues as he learns on the job.

14. NCJetsfan

I doubt that. Your speculation is every bit as much BS as mine is.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not to mention caving to Mohammad Wilkerson's contract demands followed by him bringing the Jets 3.5 sacks this season. NFL executives are laughing at Maccagnan's two offseason resignings.

16. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

And we will continue to suck if we keep firing GM/HC after two years. Nobody will wanna come here.

Hey maybe we will get Jeff Fisher! Complete with his 40% win percentage.

17. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

In hindsight, signing Fitz this year looks like a job saving move by Mac. If he didn't sign Fitz then Bowles would have had a ready made excuse for 4-12. The blame would have been shifted to Mac.

I think because Bowles values his vets so highly and Marshall and Decker were so vocal about bringing Fitz back Bowles was very likely plugging for him on behalf of his players. We also know Mac offered a lowball contract to Fitz at the start of FA which insulted Fitz at the time but was in retrospect the right decision.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If I were GM, neither guy is still on the roster but the Mo signing was nothing like the Fitz contract.

Mo is coming off of an injury and would have gotten his money from someone if we let him walk (getting nothing in return).

Not only would no one else have given Fitz $3 mil or more but we drafted a QB in round two. Caving in to Fitz and his contract demands was beyond stupid even before we saw how badly he played.[/QUOTE]

19. NCJetsfan

I get what you're saying. I don't think anyone wants to fire a HC or GM after only 2 years, but when they're showing no ability, and are in over their head, what is the alternative? Idzik's two drafts were a disaster. The team couldn't have survived another draft or two by him. Supposedly, he had alienated many in the Jets' organization. He was too slow, plodding and conservative in FA. He wasn't young, so chances are, he wouldn't have changed or learned much. They would have had to fold the franchise if he had stayed another couple of years.

In order to "keep firing HCs/GMs after two years," we actually have to have a string of times that has happened. Rex was here 6-7 years. Tanny was here about that long. How long was Bradway around? Yes, there were other HCs that were fired after 2 years, but do you really think that Coslet, Kotite, Carroll, Herm or Mangini would have improved and proven to be a good HC? Parcells. Belichik, and Groh quit. Of that group, I think only Mangini had real potential, but then he was supposedly worse with Cleveland, so probably not. Carroll said that it took getting fired by the Jets and Pats for him to wake up and learn, then he had to go back to college to refine his coaching style. Coslet and Kotite were brutal. Herm had some good moments, but was basically just a cliche machine.

I really liked Bowles when he was hired and had very high hopes for him. It bugs me to no end to have to fire him and start over, but what does he do well or even in an acceptable manner? I see no alternative. He hasn't shown that he has progressed or learned anything this season. How could we expect him to improve or suddenly be better if he hasn't demonstrated any progress? Also, it's more than obvious that he has lost the team or a large portion of it. How can he stay on with that being the case? No coach stays after he loses the team.

He deserves a little slack for this season due to the Jets' NFL-high injuries and roster turnover as a result, but the team looked lost and unprepared even before the injury bug started happening. Also, I have read before that often times, teams who have a high rate of injuries often weren't in good shape to begin with. If true in the Jets' case, that would be Bowles' responsibility. They have a first-rate complex, so if Bowles didn't work them hard enough or didn't hire the right trainers, strength & conditioning team, then that's own him as well.

What do you think he does well or why should he brought back aside from wanting to avoid other potential coaches not wanting to come here? Do you think there's any chance he does better next season?

I'm sorry if my response was too harsh. I'm just sick of the embarrassing, sorry state of the Jets and let my passion get the best of me.

#139 NCJetsfan, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Ozymandias, CBG and PulseJet like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

double post