Defend Maccagnan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Dec 25, 2016.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

This is highly inane - another reason to be an embarrassed and shameful Jet fan.

2. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

He inherited a 4-12 team with almost no talent and no qb. The team went 10-6 last year and that falsely elevated expectations. Give him one more draft and see where we are after that.

3. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

The OP of this thread seems to me to be a bit confused. In theroy ,If you have a GM that makes the correct choices for what players are to be on the team - but the coach is highly incompetent, it's very likely and obvious what the outcome will be.

See Rich Kotite era to get more details. The year after , when Parcells took over, he basically took the same team and turned it completely 160. Yes adding Curtis Martin and Testeverde helped, but good coaches know what players will work within their system.

4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

And 2 years later we have nothing close to a QB and are right back at 4-12

What have we accomplished here?

5. King Koopa

I'm not confused at all...people are taking cheap shots at me but I still haven't been given any real reasons why Macc is on the right track

I'm willing to listen

alleycat9 likes this.
  6. King Koopa

Fair post man...I don't hate Macc at all I'm just a results guy and I haven't seen a good job all things considered

I understand Bowles has been worse

James Hasty likes this.
  7. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

Hack hasn't thrown a pass in a regular season game yet. Pennington did not start until game 5 of year 3. Even Trevor simian barely played at all his rookie year (last year) and is a starter now. If hack becomes something it would change the narrative.

8. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

The jury's out but it's been two years. I don't trust his QB evaluations at all, but:

Marshall and Fitz trades worked out for one year.

Re-signed Powell, signed Carpenter, drafted Leo, found Robby Anderson, drafted Deon Simon.

It's not Hall of Fame worthy. I get it. But there it is.

We don't know about this year's class overall because it's been one year.

SonofDinger likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Bowles has completely lost the locker room though. I agree with extending coaches and general managers through three years, but this circumstance has shown that the players do not respond to TB at all.

I don't like what Maccagnan has done at all either, but you generally need to take a little bit more of a wait and see approach because development of players takes longer than the eye can see, whereas it's abundantly clear the players don't give a flying fuck about playing hard for this guy.

10. Matty Jets

How many years did Terry Bradyway get? Tannenbaum? They fm sucked

11. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Did you bitch when he signed all the FA when he was forced to unedr the NFL rules for spending cap money? I don't recall your outrage then... but hey what the hell. Its his fault the same players that played well last year when you were not bitching suck this year... it happens get over it.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Tannenbaum had a winning record here. He took us to the playoffs 3/7 times and now Miami looks like they're going too.

James Hasty likes this.
  13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Made moves to make the team competitive now (in theory) and didn't put the team in cap hell with band contracts. Jury still out on his draft classes but some promising choices from this year alone.

SonofDinger likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Funny how many of the arguments used to defend Mac (small sample size, he looked good last year, etc.) can also be used to defend Bowles. Yeah, a better coach would do better than 4-11 with this roster. But Bowles would do better too if he had a QB, OL, LBs, secondary, or anyone worth a damn on ST.

FJF likes this.
  15. Matty Jets

Tannennbaum was awful. Post his drafts here and we can talk.

16. Matty Jets

17. King Koopa

I didn't bitch but he wasted big contracts on 2 JAGS in the secondary....Revis I won't kill him for although that hasn't been a good move either

I'm not going to say he's done an awful job but overall I really can't say he's done a good job either. I'm just wondering why he gets a free pass from most Jets fans.....just because Bowles has been awful doesn't mean the GM should get no blame either for this disaster

I can live with bad seasons as long as there seems like a general plan to get us in the right direction and I'm really not seeing much of that to be honest. He's had 2 seasons to get this thing going and I feel like we are in a worse situation now than when he took over

18. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Mac's defense is the following:

He did a very good job making this team better in his 1st offseason. This team came out of the ashes and won 10 games. That's big considering how depleted talent wise this team was. So that's he reason.

Now don't think I don't get the op's point, because Mac's 2nd offseason is as BAD as his 1st was good,. Not a single player Mac selected in the last draft has contributed enough to help the Jets win a single game. The total is hot garbage. This knowing that the OL was in "must help" mode. So it's not like we as Jets fans do not get the criticism, we do.

But for me, Todd Bowles has been so, so, so, SO, far worse that I want him gone. I can allow Mac another season, with Bowles I just can't. More or less I think that resembles most Jets fans feelings.

19. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I think, all things considered, Maccagnan has done a decent job and deserves another shot.

Just looking at the offense, when all the pieces are healthy and available, it has the makings of a pretty decent offense, as we saw last year when they set franchise records (albeit against a weak schedule). Decker going down was a huge blow to the offense, bigger than I think anyone would have guessed at the time. But, bring him back next year, along with Marshall, Enunwa, and a more even workload distribution between Forte and Powell, and we could be right back to being a respectable offense. Now, of course, that means finding someone to play the QB position, but since the Marshall/Decker duo made Fitztragic look like a great QB last year, we don't necessarily have to settle the QB question once and for all in order to have an adequate offense in 2017. I would look for Maccagnan to see what some of the more talented teams in the league are doing, which is investing heavily on the OL, and follow suit in the next couple of drafts.

On the defense, there's quite a bit of work to do, but I don't think it's fair to lay the blame at Maccagnan's feet entirely. Most were praising the acquisitions of Revis, Skrine, and, to a lesser extent, Cromartie when they came on board last offseason. Those hasn't worked out, but they weren't horrible moves to make, with the exception of the amount of money they gave Revis. But, nobody could see the production just plummeting from one year to the next in the way that it has.

A lot of the problems on defense, I think, will be cleared up by a change in coaching on that side of the ball. Cut some of the malcontents (Richardson first and foremost) and then get someone in here who can run a decent defense, and the performance of that side of the ball will improve. A lot of the problem with the defense this year has been blown assignments and a general lack of not knowing what they're supposed to be doing. That doesn't have much to do with talent, but rather with poor preparation and coaching.

SonofDinger likes this.
  20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Ok - now let me ask you. What would qualify as a [great] move that you speak of? Why don't you clarify that first?