What can the Jets do - that's realistic - to turn things around?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Dec 1, 2016.

?

What do you think the Jets can realistically do to turn things around?

1. New QB

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. New Head Coach

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. New Offensive Coordinator

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. New GM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Improve the Pass Rush

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. Improve the Secondary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Improve the Running Game

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. Other (Explain)

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

1 tone green, 2 tone looks like sweat stains and the greens don't even match

[​IMG]

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I say we get Vera Wang in here fast to get the "Jets" back on the "runway"

NCJetsfan and kevda5n9ne like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Follow the Raider model for team development..They went from dysfunctional to elite in 5 years. Why not the Jets?

4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Because the Jets won't pick a Derek Carr. They'll trade their first and next years first to move up and they'll end up with the next Johnny Manziel, and we'll just have to do this all again in 4 or 5 years.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

That would require acquiring a top flight WR in the 1st, an OLB in the 1st, and investment in OL and OLB in the FA. All things this team has refused to do.

TwoHeadedMonster and Cman68 like this.
  6. Cman68

Just a lil ray of sunshine aren't we..... :)

7. TwoHeadedMonster

That's how I live my life, Cman!

I guess I just feel like all these folks who want us to tank, fire the whole coaching staff, and pick the next Joe Montana first overall are ridiculous.

The coaching staff certainly seems to suck sufficiently to warrant immediate replacement. The QB situation desperately needs to be addressed, and it needs be done with a young top-tier talent. So I see where they are coming from.

On the other hand, they pretend there is some experienced NFL head coach with a winning record and a promising resume who is available WANTS (or at least is willing) to be the Jets head coach. On top of it, they pretend like there is a top flight QB available in the upcoming draft--I don't see it, but let's say there is: when was the last time the Jets actually picked the best player in the draft? Seriously, regardless of draft pick, have the NY Jets ever picked the best player in any draft?

Even in 1965 when the Jets (and Cardinals) picked Namath, was he the best player in that draft? Gale Sayers, Fred Biletnikoff, and Dick Butkus were in that draft, (as was HOFer Chris Hanburger, LB, Redskins, but I don't think anybody puts him in the same class as the others. Also, Rich Kotite was drafted by the Vikings in that draft....so there's that.) so you tell me. Namath was, at least, the best QB of that draft (closest competition being Craig Morton, who the Cowboys actually picked over Namath in the NFL draft, but who fell to the Raiders in round 10 of the ALF draft).

I don't trust the Jets to use the pick correctly. I don't trust Woody to make the right moves in regards to GM and HC.

I think that the concepts espoused by the "Tank" crowd would work out great if we could get the right GM, HC, OC, and QB in here at the same time. The odds of that happening are nil.

This team tanking and hoping for the best possible outcome is like giving a high school drop-out crack addict an envelope with $100,000.00 and expecting to see him in 4 years time with a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Operative word here is "has".

This is a copycat league, if you don't think Maccagnan and the FO are looking at successful teams like Dallas and Oakland (and the models they've built) you are mistaken.

Though, I completely understand your frustration (we share it).

The Jets absolutely need to get back to having a stout offensive line as well as a chain moving back.
    Unacceptable the pass rush and blue chip skill position players haven't been added or addressed in recent years.

9. Cman68

and the saddest thing is, I can't refute one single thing you just posted..At this point, I'm just numb. I used to be concerned but since things are going to be the same in 2017, I'm just a casual fan now. I wonder if Wikipedia will redefine what "Fan" means as it certainly doesn't relate to its root "fanatic" anymore.

NYJetsO12 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  10. Martin&theJETS

It just makes no sense. In the last 10 years the recipe has been the same. EVERY ELITE TEAM HAS A DISRUPTIVE OLB.

When we have opportunities to take them we decide to take DEs and a Safety. Tell me what team has stud DEs or a stud Safety but no OLB and they are a top 10 team?

It's simply logic, yet these FOs make millions and can't grasp it.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

At least we have a wall of defensive tackles. Good luck running I-Form double truck 42 Trap on us motherfuckers.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

What will you disrupt trailing 30 to 15 every game??

Plus, All the best DL inemen get tired if they are on the field all day cause your O cant make a 1st down

13. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Franchise QB. Everything else you can fix with diligence and smart decision making.

14. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Of the 32 NFL teams, I estimate 22-24 teams think they have their franchise QB on the roster for 2017. This includes teams like Washington who you assume will lock up Cousins and Minn who will have either Bradford or Bridgewater.

The teams that don't have an answer at QB are the perennial bottom dwellers: Buffalo, the Jets, and the Browns. The Bears and the Niners will be looking for answers at QB next year too.

Of the remaining teams, the Broncos with Lynch and the Rams with Goff may or may not have an answer at the position. Time will tell.

Point being, more than 2/3rds of the league seems to be set at QB, something the Jets havent seemed to be for decades, with the exception being the hopeful Sanchez years.

Its sad really.

15. TwoHeadedMonster

I'm with you. Just a point though-- the only exception I can think of is the two NY Giants SB teams. I don't follow the Giants, so I may be wrong, but it seems like they had dominant D-lines and their LBs primarily dropped into coverage.

I always thought that was the example Rex was trying to replicate here, but we never got those coverage LBs--not even close.

16. Martin&theJETS

Giants were a 4-3 and we were a 3-4. The pass rushers in a 4-3 are the DEs, the pass rusher in the 3-4 are the OLBs. They had very good DE's. In fact Strahan, Osi, and Tuck had a combined 32 sacks... Strahan had the least with 9 sacks.

17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

They need a QB.

If not a franchise QB then someone that can stabilize the position the way Ryan Fitzpatrick did in 2015 this time hopefully for more than just one season.

I like Tyrod Taylor a lot. If the Jets can get him he'd be a great signing.

18. Cman68

Just a tad too short though. Need someone at least 6-3 or taller.