2017 QBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by jetfannerd, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Build up the OL and have Hack and Petty battle it out. Hack should win. Let him have 2017. If he doesn't show promise go QB at the top of 2018. Or go get Mike Glennon.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why should Hack win?

3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Not like he's entitled to win. I just see him using his smarts, pro system knowledge, and the backing of the regime to give him the edge over Petty.

4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I really like Trubisky, but the more I watch him the more concerning his downfield arm strength is. He floats the ball and really looks like he needs to put everything he's got into throws over 40 yards, with receivers often slowing down or coming back to the ball.

I'm warming up to the idea of just building around Hack. Rewatching his college games, he's similar to, if not better than, the top QBs in this class. It might be a waste of a pick and resources to bring in another one rather than just building around what we have.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Really? When did he say that he wasn't coming out this year?

As recently as Oct 31 there was a report he was
    http://www.cougcenter.com/2016/10/3...ly-for-the-nfl-draft-according-to-matt-miller

Thanks for any additional info

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

A lot of these 2017 QBs need to go back to school. Kizer and Trubisky need to go back to school. Especially Kizer. 2018 could be a special year for QBs and allows the Jets to develop Hack for another year to see what they have. Cause we all know Petty ain't the answer.

7. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Pending, but I agree. 2018 looks like the strong year. Falk is staying and school and realizes his short comings, Trubisky may stay in school to make a shot at the playoffs or conference championship, then you have Rosen, Browning, Sam Darnold. Kaaya could benefit from staying in school too, right now he is looking like he's fallen out of day one and possibly day two.

8. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

We say this every year and then next year's class comes around and we nitpick, critique, and say that , with the exception of one or two QBS the class is terrible. If they like a Quarterback, they should take him at 5 . Or if one falls deep into the first round,they should consider trading back into the first round. A guy who can't even be a backup over Bryce Petty or an injured Fitzpatrick with a sprained MCL, is highly highly unlikely to be the answer, even if he is "developed."

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh I dunno about that. It's pretty easy to recognize certain quarterback classes as special. Mariota/Winston come to mind specifically.

I guess it becomes incredibly subjective as to what makes a great QB draft class. Do two guys at the top make it special?

2004 comes to mind, as although I was young, I do remember that most teams/fans would've been happy with anyone of the three of Eli/Rivers/Roethlisberger.

I guess that's usually how it works though, there's usually one or two at the top then everyone else.

The Rams/Eagles trading the farm for Wentz & Goff said a lot about this years class.

10. BigSnacks54

When we're looking back at some of these draft classes in hindsight, I think it's easy to say that they included special Quarterbacks. Many people questioned Mariota , including some here, and thought that he would be a bust or at best an Alex Smith type QB. Winston was universally loved as a prospect(on the field only obviously), but Mariota seemed to be a controversial Quarterback prospect. To me, if a class has one or two great prospects, that's a special class.

I mean they're only 16-18 quality starter in the league, so if you can pump out one star or two of that's great for me. But it seems as if many disagree. There were draft analysts saying that the 2015 draft class was terrible; and this seems to be a common theme repeated by many in November /December when looking at Quarterbacks. I do agree that it's subjective, but the QB class a year away seems to always look better than the current one. There was a thread here made in January of 2015, saying that 2016 was the "Year of the QB". The poster touted Quarterbacks such as Cook, Hackenberg , Cardale, and Goff. With the exception of Goff, none of those guys were highly touted by April of 2016. And prospects, such as Wentz and Paxton, weren't even on people radar in January of 2015.

I know the Eagles mentioned a poor draft class in 2017 being one of the reasons why they drafted Wentz. But some of the top Quarterback prospects were talking about right now, weren't even being discussed in April of 2016. None of us knew who Trubisky was and I don't remember seeing one Kizer thread here. Right now that 2018 class looks great with Lamar Jackson, Rosen, and other prospects. But what happens when teams begin to question Lamar Jackson's playing style or frame, or when teams question Rosen's inconsistent decision making or play? Will we say that class is poor as well

11. Jonathan_Vilma

True enough. I don't see Kizer as anything more than a second or third round prospect personally. I find it hard to be excited about a prospect that just went 4-8 with three of those four W's being against Syracuse, Nevada, and Army. Limited help or not, that's not a guy I draft high.

Same with Trubisky in only being a one year starter with questionable arm strength. Love the intangibles, but does he have enough to throw a 15 yard out on a rope?

Watson seems like such a boom or bust prospect. I just feel like we're the team to pass and he booms.

These guys are the type of prospects that would benefit most by going to teams like Arizona, New Orleans or Kansas City. Places where there's no immediate need to be the face of the franchise type of prospects.

#91 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  12. 101GangGreen101

All it takes is 2 QBs and the class is good enough.

We also missed on both Bridgewater and Carr. Carr wasn't a popular prospect, but a lot of people on this board liked him and predicted great things.

A lot of these kids have talent, but some just don't progress to that next year. They level off. Call that the Connor Cook rule.

This year looks like shit, but I think next year can good. Kizer needs to better understand the game mentally. Rosen needs to stay healthy. Mason Rudolph from Oklahoma State. There are guys out there. It could go wrong, but right now it looks pretty decent.

13. 101GangGreen101

He should go back to school, he's got the arm talent, but he needs to get a better feel for the game. Trubisky, I think you look at him and you see he's got good touch and accuracy, but his arm strength isn't at the level of Kizer.

I have to admit, the Titans have done an impressive job putting tools around Mariota, a top 2 offensive line, 2 great running backs and one of the better TEs in the league. Surely didn't see that coming and I thought that would really hamper his development. The running game has really done wonders for him, but he's still not the type of QB you want to see throw 30+ times a game. He might get there eventually.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. BigSnacks54

I'm not saying they should force a pick, but if they like a prospect, they should take him at 5 or maybe trade back into the first if that prospect slips. Hackenberg really hasn't shown anything for me to think that the Jets should pass on QB they believe can be a quality starter. I just feel that unless we're picking in the top five, we're never going to get a chance at a "slam dunk" prospect at QB. I'l understand if they pass on a QB early and I may evens support that decision(I haven't seen much of Trubisky), but I'd like to see them at least take a QB in the midrounds. Hackneberg not being able to even be the back up is extremely concerning to me. I really don't he's the answer at QB.

#94 BigSnacks54, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  15. BigSnacks54

Is Winston this guy? Because, IMO, Mariota is better than Winston right now , especially in the accuracy department. I thought the Titans with Murlarky would hurt him too; he started off slowly, but he's a stud. There's no denying that at this point. Leonard Williams is a future all pro DL, but the Jets really screwed themseleves over by beating the Titans in 2014.

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Aren't just about all QB's boom or bust? Every QB coming out of college has strengths and weaknesses. And critics are always quick to point out the weaknesses. Yes, I've seen Watson miss some easy throws, but accuracy is easier to correct than arm strength. The thing I like about Watson besides the fact he's a good QB talent is that he's a winner. So far, in two years he's lost only 2 games and one of those was last year's championship to 'Bama, and that was only by 5 points. That's the problem with the Jets. There's no tradition of winning here. Even when the Jets went to the Conference Championships with Sanchez, there was never an expectation of winning. There was only amazement they had gotten that far. To me, Watson represents a player with leadership, skill and determination to get the ball into the end-zone no matter what. Yes, he could be a bust, but he could also be another Wilson or Prescott, and if it's the latter, it's worth the risk.

FJF likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

I don't think that is the case in terms of those QBs. Winston has Mariota beat easily in terms of down-field passing and outside of Mike Evans, I don't see much else Winston is working with, it's pretty bad cause they have to have him pass 40 or 50 times just to stand a chance in certain games. Titans GM did an excellent job, creating of the best offensive lines in the league and has a top 5 running game. Depending on how your team is constructed of course but they have both shown the ability to thrive.

That said, wish we had a shot to get one of those 2 guys I agree there. I think the Jets screwed themselves MUCH more by passing on Carr, we had a chance to draft him and we passed on him. I don't even think we even invited him to work out. People got scared of his last name, but didn't come to think about the training that kid had since day 1. He was born to play in the league.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't believe so. There's an Andy Dalton tier of quarterbacks in this league that exists. I don't see Watson as having the possibility of falling into this tier. He's either going to be a dynamic playmaker or a turnover machine.

I'm with you in the winning intangibles thing though. We need to draft multi-year starters from a winning program. That's why the Hackenberg pick was a head scratcher where we took him. I made a thread on Cody Kessler last year and many said he'd amount to nothing. Not that he's there but he was 27-14 at USC with 88 TD/19 picks while completing 67.5% of his passes. Guys like that can become Andy Dalton if they have AJ Green & friends around them.

19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

To me, any QB who is a successful starter, and that would include QB's like Dalton, is a "boom." That's why I phrased it that way.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

I see. Personally, I think Watson is going to be a good player, but I think he could definitely turn to shit quickly if he's not coached up correctly. I've noticed he floats a lot of balls, and it's not a lack of arm strength. It's just how he puts touch on the ball. He slows down his delivery a lot when he does this, and that likely won't be a luxury he has once he's in the NFL. He needs to find the balance in putting touch on the ball while getting rid of he ball quickly.

What sticks out to me (other than the intangibles you mentioned) is his consistent accuracy throughout his entire career. Running quarterbacks like him can get a bit erratic in having happy feet and being too ready to run. He's calm in the pocket and always appears to be a pocket passer first and foremost (especially this year). This is something that looked to be a potential worry about Cam Newton coming out. Could he be a passer if contained on the ground?

If the coaches like him throughout the interview process and he's there, I hope they pull the trigger. He's enough of a playmaker with his feet (as I said secondly) to at least win games in this league while he refines some of his mechanics and learns to read NFL defenses.

Hopefully our staff reads more into the player they scout than all of these sources and executives saying he's a second round player. Mac hasn't proved to be this excellent talent evaluator he's been heralded as though, so we'll see.

westiedog1 likes this.