Positivity Thread: 2 game Winning streak, Jets in middle of playoff hunt

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by John, Oct 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, that's what is commonly known as fools gold. If by some miracle they made the playoffs, they'd get blown out in the first round. In terms of the QB position (THE most important position on the team and for creating a winning team) the team would be starting from scratch next season. They'd have no idea if Petty or Hack could handle being the starter. Neither would have gained any development time this season, which means that the Jets would either blindly be bringing in a JAG to start (and be in the same boat), or hoping that one of them could handle the starting job. GMs can't rely on hope.

Your way of doing things is short-sighted, immediate gratification focused, would not help the team long term and the stupidest way imaginable. It would be winning the battle, but losing the war. It would not give the team any answers about next season and resolving the QB issue. This team is severely flawed in the secondary and at the QB position. It has flaws at OLB. The CS is questionable at best. To even begin to think that this team could make the playoffs is delusional and fantasy world fandom, and has nothing to do with reality or what's best for the team.

That's why I hope the team loses this Sunday and puts the fantasy world thinking that the Jets can make the playoffs to bed once and for all. The quicker they move on from Fitz to Petty and/or Hack the better. I want a REAL winner and contender, not some faux or pretend contender.

2. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I just watched the second half, I feel great about the rest if the season. ;-)

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Check back in around 2pm Sunday.

4. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Given I live in England, I'll have to wait until about 7, but I fear your point stands. Still, Squish da Fish!

5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Agreed.

If the Jets fall out of it this year they'll evaluate Petty and see where they are with him. If they like him, good. If not, they can hold out hope for Hack and even draft another QB if they want to.

Either way though, I think the Jets will be in the market for a veteran of some sort. Maybe a Hoyer. Fitz's time is done after this year though, barring something crazy and unforeseen like a miracle run to the Super Bowl haha.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I can't agree with you on that. You have to be in it to win it. I'll take my chances in the playoffs with a below average QB instead of a complete lost season.

It's not short sighted IMO. If Petty and or Hack are the real deal their talent will shine through and they'll win the starting job eventually. There's also zero reason why you couldn't just insert one of them as the opening day starter next year with Fitz or someone else as a veteran backup. And then see how they do. Look what the Broncos did after Peyton retired. They gave it to a rookie 2nd year 7th rounder whose done a nice job for them.

Petty or Hack are either good or they aren't. They're under team control and are not going anywhere. The team made Fitz the starter this season and didn't have plans on starting Petty or Hack this year. They're trying to win. So until the season is really over, they should try to win.

The team has lots of flaws. But I don't like the idea of just giving up on the season because of it. Try and win. If the Jets are as bad as you think they are you have nothing to fear. Petty will start a decent amount of games this year. And that's fine with me. But lets see the team lose games and Fitz start struggling again first. They've won 2 in a row and are 3-5. Giving up now is foolish IMO.

7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

try and win..tell that to the underperformers on this team... you know the guys that are paid to tackle, cover WR, etc. Fitz should sit and probably will after this week.. I do not expect a win and the way theer DL is playing and our OL is hurt well.... we'll see.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Even if the Jets were to somehow win the SB, I wouldn't bring Fitz back. I wouldn't mind Hoyer, but only as a backup and not a starter. Next season the coaching staff needs to see what they have in Hack and Petty. We need to develop a young core of players. Gone will be Revis, Harris and Mangold very soon.

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Anybody that gets in has a chance, due to the fluky nature of the NFL in any given week. Take a look at the 2009 Jets, for example. They started 4-6, and Sanchez threw 16 picks during that stretch. At that point, nobody was predicting they would make the AFC championship. The Giants took 9-7 and won a super bowl. Hell, even the 7-9 Seahawks won a playoff game.

If the Jets actually do pull it off, it would mean they cleaned up their act on both sides of the ball and won almost every remaining game, which means beating the Patriots at least once. They would be hot and just as likely as any to make some noise in the playoffs. Huge IF, obviously (I highly doubt it happens), but I'll take a playoff birth any day over draft positioning and testing unproven talent at important positions.

#109 Sam Hammer, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's fair. No one said that we had to agree. I can understand your not wanting to give up on a season, but imo, when a team has played as poorly as this one has and there are as many holes as this team has, then there's no hope, and the best thing that can be done so the season won't be a total wasted, is to try to develop the young players.

Young players need development. They need practice snaps and playing time. They don't usually just become starters. I know they aren't going anywhere, but if the Jets are trying to win 9-10 games (or as many as they can), then Fitz will still starting, and Petty or Hack won't get to play this season. They could go another 5-6 games chasing wins. If that happens, then they (Petty and Hack) won't be getting developed. That in turn could very well mean that next season will be wasted too if neither Petty or Hack prove to be the answer. It also doesn't help the Jets know what they need to do with the draft. If they give Petty a significant number of starts this season and he doesn't prove to be a reliable starter, then they'll know that they probably need to draft a QB, unless there are enough games left to hand the ball to Hack and see how he playes. If Petty does start and play well in a number of games, they'll know that they don't need to draft a QB. That's a huge difference that totally affects the future of the franchise. Not only could they wind up wasting yet another season, but also wind up wasting a draft pick or picks to take a QB they may not need, or not taking one, and then realize that they screwed up and should have taken one.

I don't know how long you've been a Jets fan, but I've been a fan since 1964 and I'm sick of this shit. I need to see some smart decisions, good talent, the Jets get a quality QB and start winning, or I'm ready to say the hell with this team.

IMO the Jets NEED to find out now if Petty can be the guy next season, and if not and Hack is seriously that close to Petty, then they NEED to find out if Hack can be their QB. If neither can, then they have to draft a QB. It's that simple. Waiting until next season to find out if Petty or Hack can cut the mustard is too late.

kevmvp likes this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Who you kidding.

Anyone who's been a Jets fan for over 50 years isn't going anywhere at this point.

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I'm going to try and fit in with the delusional "Jets will make the playoffs" crowd.

Fitz stumbles through the remaining games against sub-par opponents, even splitting with the Pats on a late fluke play in one game. He wins just enough and we get help from other teams where they are on the cusp of a playoff spot the last week of the season.
    At home against Buffalo week 17 the game is tied middle of the 4th quarter when Fitz tries another head first slide and gets knocked unconscious. Petty enters the game and drives the team down the field for the winning score.
    In the playoffs the secondary finally starts earning their paycheck and the rest of the D steps up to shut down opposing offenses. Petty, in since Fitz is still unconscious, lights it up leading the O like we have not seen this millennium. He sets all kinds of playoff records leading the Jets to Super Bowl LI where they crush Dallas, in the process exposing Dak Prescott.
    Petty ends up leading the Jets for the next 15 years winning 10 more Super Bowls. They also trade Hack for multiple 1st round picks in 2019.

donkey likes this.
  13. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

How are you doing today, John

NYJ79 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  14. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Take your optimism thread and shove it up your ass. Hopefully Bryce plays and that's the ONLY reason to continue to watch.

RuJFan likes this.
  15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Somone lock this stupid thread.We arent in a playoff hunt and who knows how many years it will be before we are.

Chadchrebet and NYJ79 like this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yeah... time to close the door on this one...Closing thread in 3..2..1

Freddy Mondo and Chadchrebet like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.