Positivity Thread: 2 game Winning streak, Jets in middle of playoff hunt

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by John, Oct 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The problem is that we do not hold tiebreakers over the Bengals, Chiefs or Steelers. Our AFC record is beat up already. I believe we lose the tiebreaker to the Raiders as well.

It's fun to be positive. It's better to be realistic. Being .500 heading into New England just seems like a setup for a huge letdown.

Sorry to be a downer. But our quarterback was 3/14 at halftime. This team is relatively shot.

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Lots of individual players haven't played up to player expectations thus far. That's obvious. Veterans such as Fitzpatrick, Revis and Wilkerson haven't stepped up on a consistent basis and as expected veteran leaders they've been less than inspiring to say the least.

But at the end of the day football is as big of a team sport as there is. From the coaching staff to a lot of these players our team has struggled as a whole. Could've, should've, would've etc but losing by 1 point to Cincinnati not only put us behind the 8-ball with an AFC loss but also stole (could've been) early season momentum.

But yet here we are: heading into week 8 at 3-5 overall. All that lies ahead of us are Miami and Los Angeles; for a chance at being 5-5 overall along with heading into our bye week for a Primetime Sunday Night matchup againt a divisional rival (New England Patriots).

We've all been frustrated. We've all felt like throwing in the towell. Not wanting to watch the next game etc. But none of us have. We're not there yet but as a team getting ourselves back into the playoff picture, isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Take care of Miami. Show up for the Rams. And we could then have a focus and goal of improving to 6-5 heading out of our bye. Could be perfect timing for this bye week in order to prepare for a heavy favorite.

3. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Short of the Bills or Fish making a late surge before the reverse fixtures, the only winning team we have left to face is the Patriots. So 9-7 or even 10-6 is a possibility (7-5 or 8-4 in conference)

At 10-6 (assuming Pats split) we'd need;

AFCN - Steelers, Ravens in second at 10-6 or worse.
    AFCS - To continue being suck.
    AFCW - KC to take the division and sweep Denver and Oakland. Denver would need to lose to Pats and split the head to head with the Raiders.

That might get us in a second WC.

We get the first WC if the above is all true plus the Raiders lose to the Bills + 1 other team (preferably and AFC team to avoid SoV).

^This would be the other way to the playoffs in slot 2 if the Bengals/Steelers are in the other slot at 10-6 or above.

#43 Gremlin, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  4. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

The question is ... would a 5-5 Jets team have a legit shot at making a run for the 6th seed?

I'd say a small shot. First, we would need both the Chiefs and Steelers to win their divisions. That would make those tiebreakers irrelevant. In that case the Broncos and Raiders would be our the biggest obstacles. The Broncos play the Raiders next week, so one of them will have 3 losses. At 5-5, we would be no more than 2 games behind the loser of that game ... and possibly only one game behind, if the loser also loses the following week.

At 5-5 it wouldn't be impossible to make up 1 or 2 games with 6 to go ... especially since the Broncos and Raiders play each other again the last week of the season. But let's see us get to 5-5 first. In fact ... let's see us play a game without giving up 350 yards passing.

5. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

What I want to know from everyone is:

WHO CARES if the Jets get to 5-5, and go 9-7 to end the season?????

That means we still SUCKED and could only beat LOSING teams. When we faced the Patsies, the only winning team remaining on our schedule, we still SUCKED and could not beat a good team? So WTF is the point?

Are we going to kid ourselves and PRETEND that our team is really better? I do not want to have to pretend. I want a real live winning team that regularly beats winning teams........

BomberJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Staying positive is one thing, holding out hope for mediocrity is another.

And that's the problem. Many Jets fans 'keep hope alive' each season when it's for nothing more then maybe squeaking into the playoffs, hoping that another team blows it worse then we do so we can luck into a post season spot.

Sure, they could go on a (very unlikely) run at that point, but wouldn't it be nice, just for once, to have a Jets team dominate during the regular season? When was the last time that happened, 1998?

There are things fundamentally wrong with the way this organization runs, and until those things are fixed, the Jets will continue to be the middle to lower tier team that they've been for as long as I can remember (80's).

#46 Jets81, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    FJF and JeTsInTexas like this.
  7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Next years QB, Tony Romo

8. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Bengals hold the tiebreaker over us and their run-in isn't full of heavyweights (1 game Vs Steelers).

9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I'm hopeful that Fitz would perform his patented run somewhere in vicinity of Suh.

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  10. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Forget the playoffs this team is not good. As a sth I am hoping to be 4-5 when playing the rams at home and to be 5-5 going up against the Pats so we have 2 home games with some juice. I think that's the best we can hope for. The first half against the browns was not a mirage. Good teams don't play 30 minutes of god awful football in a must game and it's not the first time we came out with such low energy..... at Chiefs

11. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

It does in the offseason, how many superbowls haven't we won in April threw August?

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Positivity or not, I'm trying to figure out how being in last place and only playing well in one game, with the other two wins against shitty teams quantifies "being in the middle of the playoff hunt" :confused:

FJF, NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

stink, you're right, that MNF game they were down 16 at the half, s/b 1-69 ;-) . Here's the "0-69" USA Today source:
    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/1...jets-shaky-offense-finds-second-straight-win/

Here's another "when trailing by 13 at halftime" reference from the NYT (citing ESPN):

"It was the first time in 72 games that the Jets had won on the road after trailing by at least 13 points (20-7) at halftime, according to ESPN Stats & Information."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/31/s...jets-cleveland-browns-quincy-enunwa.html?_r=0

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I'm giving my positive post for this thread: Let's win the rest of our games! :)

15. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

It's not our record. Actually, for me, it has nothing to do with our record. It has everything to do with how we are playing. We have been noncompetitive in virtually half of our games this season (It depends on how you view the Steelers game). We look like shit far more often than not. Our defense this year has underachieved more than any unit I can remember in recent Jets history (and that is saying something). We have a "veteran" quarterback who stares down his receivers and makes inexcusable mistake after inexcusable mistake. This is just a very frustrating team to watch.

#55 slimjasi, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  16. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Guys, the devil is in the details. The record is for road games. The Monday night miracle game was at home.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly! I can't believe how many fans are delusional and dumb. They'd rather root for the team to win 9 games in a meaningless, awful season, than see them only win 4-5 and realize that major changes need to be made in their approach, philosophy, and personnel (both players and CS, and perhaps scouting and/or FO too).

This team would be infinitely better off drafting in the top 5 if for no other reason than there's less chance of screwing up, because there's more and better talent at the top of each round.

Winning 9 games just puts a stamp of false validation on the team, and then few, if any, changes of substance are made. Woody and the FO need to see this team for what it is (lacking in heart, motivation, talent, speed, will to win) and the CS (in how to do their jobs well) for what they are, not say, "Oh we won 9 games, we're close, we just need to tinker a little and we'll be much better next year.

They need to burn this shit down. This team needs a culture change. We need a HC that demands perfection in execution on the field, knows how to manage the game and clock, knows how to make adjustments, how to inspire/motivate/kick the players in the ass until he gets what he wants, and will accept nothing less winning each and every week. We need players with talent and heart who want to be the very best at their position, and who have a burning desire to win a SB, who motivate themselves and others around them and make them better.

18. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, but the plain and simple truth of the matter is Pats=Iceberg; Jets=Titanic.
    .......and the rest of it don't mean a fucking thing....

If Woody Johnson had a set, he'd have a guillotine delivered to the middle of the locker room about now....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

THank you ... agree this team is flawed and the CS does not I repeat does not help it.

20. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

It's funny, I used to be just like you about 7 or 8 years ago, John.

It will be sad yet equally entertaining to check on your progress with this thread and see how the Jets slowly break you over the coming years, just like they broke me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.