Chan Gailey OMG

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenNYJ, Oct 19, 2016.

1. GangGreenNYJ

GangGreenNYJ Member

Okay guys, i feel like this has been mentioned already but for god-sake, I feel that Chan's play calling ability this year has been atrocious. Its like a broken record and has become to predictable. Its the same exact sequence of plays every single offensive drive.
    1st down: hand off to the running back up the middle for a 2 yard gain.
    2nd down: hand off to the running back to either the right of left side for 0-1 yard gain
    3rd down: now its 3rd and long and you know whats coming. The offense sets up in their usual 4 receiver set, they snap the ball, Fitz drops back, stares down his intended receiver, throws the ball, incomplete.
    4th down: punt (the jets always punt and never seem to have the guts to go for those occasional 4th and 1s at all)

Now I know Fitz hasn't been great and its Bowles' team but, Chan must start being held accountable for this team's offensive struggles. The Jets are now LAST in the league in points for. This is not completely on Bowles guys. Chan's offense has become too predictable and its so infuriating. He is just too conservative. This offense needs some pop and dazzle to it. Its just a boring, stale offense that never moves the ball down the field.

What do you guys think? Does Chan deserve some blame or is it just the players that aren't executing correctly?

2. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I'm not disagreeing, but this inevitably becomes a chicken and egg debate. Is the offense sputtering because CG is calling a crap game? Or is CG calling a conservative game plan because the offense has shown a laughable level of execution? After all, there's no point in calling plays you know the players can't execute, right? That's the rub. If they're fuck ups in practice then you damn well know they won't get it done in a real game.

Now I don't see the practices, so I don't know, but how many times has BM dropped a good pass? Has that made CG try to compensate? And don't forget that Decker has been a nonentity this year for a few reasons. The offense is a different beast with 3 wideouts.

Think about it: most teams have two starting quality WRs and a good TE. We had three WRs and zero TEs. That gave us just barely what we needed to run a decent offense. Lose any one of those WRs and you're playing your backups. The opposing teams can probably always double BM knowing that there isn't a TE receiving threat or a good third WR option.

So I honestly don't know if it is CG calling a crap game or if he is trying to compensate (badly) for lack of talent. Whatever it is you're right that it isn't working.

#2 Aewhistory, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    NCJetsfan and jgjet like this.
  3. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

Gailey has an interesting ability to make the entire league forget about him between his NFL gigs. Then he has one good season and is heralded for making some awful QB serviceable. Then every defensive coordinator remembers that Gailey has coached before and run the same offense for like 30 years now and wrecks him. Then off he goes to another team to repeat the process. It's a lot like the Fitzpatrick cycle.

NYJetsO12 and kevda5n9ne like this.
  4. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Spread and shotgun are 2 formations we should only apply in hurry up or 2 minute drill. Our offense is not equipped to be successful in either formation. We need to have the appearance of a running football team. Until we have a real quarterback that can throw the ball 40+ times a game.

Part of the reason why our running game has been so poor is because we lineup mostly in spread and shotgun formations. As soon as we go single back they know we are running. Gailey's offense might work with Drew Brees, Tom Brady or Matt Ryan, etc. Not with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Also our offensive line has created few running lanes. They are surprisingly decent in protecting the passer though.

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'm not sure I agree with your analysis. Your 1st down to 4th down series is exactly what we got from Rex (Greene for 3, Greene for 2, Sanchez incomplete, punt).

I think I've seen more poor 1st/2nd down incompletions (putting pressure on 3rd down) and horrible third down runs/third and short incomplete passes than ever this season. I'd almost be happy to go back to basics.

Anyway, you might be right. I've been blind drunk for a lot of the games this year.

6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The biggest problem I have with Gailey is not committing to establishing the run. It is used way too sporadically. Too many play action fakes on first down and then runs on 2nd. Defenses must know this is going to happen, because it gets us in 3rd and long virtually every time. Too much passing, you can't sell defenses on play action fakes when you barely run it.

And seriously, running the ball with 4 WR sets with 1 yard to go? What are they trying to accomplish here? Put in extra blockers and ram that shit down their throat.

7. Vlodato

Vlodato Member

Nothing pissed me off more then that double screen on 3rd and manageable on Monday. Going into these games with no tightend game is like walking into the game with a hand cut off. We would have been so much better off getting someone like martelus bennit instead of signing fitz and forte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

When Rex was HC it was the same thing except there was a 75% chance we run on third down.

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

At this point id be ok with Firing and Cutting everyone

chris5533 and Burnz like this.
  10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Fire him and hire someone new. Then we have a topic discussing firing that guy next year.

This is how football fans operate. All teams complain about coaching.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

11. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Aye, this right here. The run game is an afterthought that they go to because Fitz is staring down the WR's and generally making a mess. Boy oh boy I never thought we'd miss Ivory so much.

12. James Hasty

Has more to do with aging / weaker OL and coaching philosophy than Ivory / Forte.

Ivory hasn't done that well in Jacksonville.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Rex would have stuck to the run even when it wasn't working.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Bingo. If we're going to run a primarily spread shotgun offense we need to run the ball out of those sets. We come out in a 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB set under center every single damn time we run the ball and that includes sending Kellen Davis across the backfield to cut off the backside defensive end where he usually gets blown up because he's a good forward run blocker but he sucks at power blocks like that where his feet aren't going to be set.

The screen game is atrocious because it's so telegraphed. Fitz has been horrible, but he hasn't been in a good position to succeed thanks to the play calling. I fully expect Gailey to be fired this offseason and this franchise is doing themselves a disservice if they keep him around while hosting one of the leagues worst offense, that has barely scored if at all in the second half outside of the fluke Charone Peake fumble recovery touchdown.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Third down (usually 6+ yards) is that stupid dump off to Powell over the middle on the wheel route that they run almost all the time. What I haven't figured out yet if Chan is just that stupid that he hasn't realized yet he basically dials up the same 2-3 plays over and over again, all the time? Or what is more likely is that he's forced to run these piece of shit plays because Fitz can't throw the ball any further than 5-6 yards with any type of accuracy? Our offense under Fitz was basically running the ball to set up the pass and then Fitz will do the rest by hitting Marshall and Decker on slant routes and Powell over the middle. Since we can't run all that other stuff is gone. Week 1 against the Bengals was a perfect example. Defenses play press zone coverage which makes Fitz a lame duck QB. Defenses know he can't throw the ball downfield so they're sitting on our routes. The Sherman interception was a perfect example. Cornerbacks show Fitz zero respect. They run the route for about 5-10 yards and then they know to turn around and to play the ball, as soon as our receivers turn their heads.

[​IMG]

Geno is not a great QB but he will allow Chan to dial up more plays, he can stretch the field, he's a threat as a runner, he's accurate, he's got a strong arm. We'll see if he can consistently make good decisions this year and not have those meltdown 3-4 INT type of performances that have plagued him so far. He doesn't have to be superman, just stop turning the ball over, score 1-2 touchdowns and the defense/running game will do the rest. When we get that type of production from our QB the rest is going to work itself out. We have seen that against the Bengals in week 1, against the Bills in week 2. You can't just turn from elite to terrible skill wise over a matter of days or a couple weeks. I think it was all passing game related so hopefully now with Geno in it's gonna get turned around as quickly as it did after the Bills or Bengals game (back then, for the worse).

15. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Very true, but our line was relatively as good(bad) last season. Ivory was making contact at/near the hole on every run. It's just that he punched through it and kept trucking. Which makes you wonder if the o-line is "slightly" better than we give it credit for. With Ivory's stats you have to wonder if the guy is still nursing whatever it was that bit him at the end of last season.

16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

A lot of it is Gailey. The red zone play calling has been particularly atrocious.

jets_fan likes this.
  17. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

A lot of it is Gailey, there's no question about that. There are times in the game where anyone sitting at home, not to mention the opposing defense, can figure out what play is coming next. Very little imagination in the play calling, to say the least.

Jonathan_Vilma and JetsNation06 like this.
  18. James Hasty

In retrospect it would seem than Brian Winters was sorely missed while he was injured.

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

see my thread,,,,,in the post game right now they are giddy about the play calling,,,amazing as we all know this was a bad day again for Gailey

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

We 2 god awful QBs, I don't give a shit who us calling the plays, you can't win the Indy 500, with a beat up '79 Ford Pinto

Red Menace likes this.