Bench the Beard

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by playtowinthegame, Oct 2, 2016.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

IMO Macc and Bowles would look worse if they let Fitz play if we continue to struggle, and he continues to miss wide open receivers, fails to lead his receivers, throw inaccurately, and throw interceptions. We are averaging 8.6 (or something like that) points per game....that is awful. If we lose against the Cardinals Fitz deserves to sit on the bench....but I have a feeling that the CS/FO will look at the easier schedule as a means to keep Fitz in there.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I might be wrong. Football Outsiders has the Jets at 13th in run blocking and 4th in pass protection. NFL.com has the Jets ranked 10th best in sacks, 12th in QB hits, 12th in ypc, 13th in yards. That is pretty good.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-5-2/

This is the PFF article, it is based on slightly different parameters (combination of individual player grades, rather than grading the unit as a whole). This also does not include the Steelers game.

#402 Sam Hammer, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    b.reyes16 likes this.
  3. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's more along the lines of what I expected. I was very surprised when you cited PFF as your source because I think they're very reputable. But if they try to rate a line using the sum of the parts rather than grading it as a whole, I don't think the numbers will reflect their performance on the actual field of play.

The line has been very good in pass pro. Fitz just sucks, as much as that hurts to say. We've always had an excuse fot why the QB isn't performing. Poor o-line play, bad skills positions, wrong system, too raw, etc. We can't use a single one of those for Fitz. He's just bad.

Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If we lose Monday night, there's no reason for Fitzpatrick to play anymore. The reality is that we're not rattling off 9 of 10 especially with that brutal 4 games in 19 days in December and two games vs. New England.

At this point, with the money invested in Fitz. He plays til we lose. Outside of that, we need to find out if Petty can compete next year for the job.

Basically. This is fucked.

Peebag likes this.
  5. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Fitz is the easy one blame for this mess. As much as i don't like the journeyman QB'ing my team, he doesn't deserve all the blame. The timely drops from receivers add to it, specifically Marshall (he doesn't have to bail fitz out on all his throws...just most of them) and more importantly, the Defense, which has been abysmal. Cincy aside, we're giving up almost 30+ points a game. That is ridiculous!!!!

6. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

It's not all on Fitz.

This team has the professionals with the experiance necessary to win most games.

They just need to catch a break. Arizona may be that opportunity.

7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Fitz is not the only problem but he's the biggest problem, every game we play we are over matched at QB

King Koopa and Red Menace like this.
  8. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Benching him doesn't make that any less true. There isn't a single QB on the roster or FA that measures up to Big Ben, Russel, Dalton, Smith, Carson, Flacco and later on Luck and Brady.

The only one we passed on who's looked somewhat decent is Hoyer and nobody was or is screaming out to sign that particular beast.

We knew this going into the season and that the difference in QB quality was supposed to be offset by one of the best WR tandems with Quince and Forte moving the ball and a Stout D-line and tight secondary keeping the games in reach.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

okay so what is the benefit of playing a 33 year old Fitzpatrick on a one year deal then? If you acknowledge we are going to be outmatched at the QB position no matter what why not play the younger guys? If you believe there is talent around the QB position then why not play the young guys?

10. Gremlin

Because Ryan Fitzpatrick had shown an ability to work within the confines of his limitations, Gaileys system and the perceived 'philosophy' of the team and to acheive some decent results.

Based on who we were going to play this season I think most fans were hovering around 8-8 with a possible shot at a WC if we caught a few breaks.

Our breaks consisted of getting 6 of the teams most had us losing to in the first 7 games!

The only bonus of this happening is that if we are at 1-6 or 2-5 then we are dead and can make the switch to Petty even if it costs us a game or two later on.

11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Ryan Fitzpatrick had shown an ability to work within the confines of his limitations...hahaha

Red Menace likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I read that myself, but I did not want to pile it on.

13. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Against bad teams.

Forgetting entirely about int's, Fitz is 30th in completion percentage, 25th in yards per completion, and 27th in touchdowns.
    He has 5 td's. Brady has played 2 games and has 6.

Ron

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

But..but...I got nothing!

James Hasty likes this.
  15. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

One thing that I was thinking about yesterday which may have been overlooked is the Jets offense really misses Ivory in the backfield. Even though Fitz' stats arent good, the real killer has been red zone efficiency. If the Jets converted 2-3 redzone trips this season into TD's rather than FG's, they may be sitting here at 2-3 or even 3-2 and this Fitz talk is a sideshow. They would have won the first week against the Bengals and maybe the Seahawk and Steeler losses would have been closer.

How many times last year early in the season did the Jets just hand the ball to Ivory inside the 10 and have him bash it in? His bruising style of running to pick up a few yards, at the goal line, and in the second half to wear out defenses was a bigger asset than I thought. Forte and Powell just dont provide that capability.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

And as several posters have shown with various stats, Fitz' record against good teams and good teams on the road is abysmal. Even last season when he threw so many TD passes, his completion percentage was bad. Fitz is a bad QB, period.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Things may have been different if Ivory was here, but perhaps not. Don't forget that Ivory was injured and inactive the first 2-3 weeks of the season and was in the hospital. Those were bad defenses last year that he was "bashing." This year, all the defenses have been good.

The bottom line is that Ivory wanted too much money and wasn't worth what he was asking for.

18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Ivory was boom or bust. His style of running was abusive to the other team but often lead him to sustain injuries that would make him non-existent at times. Macc did sign Khiry Robinson as a brusier back but he re-broke his leg and now we find ourselves in a position where the coaching staff has abused a 30+ year old back in Forte, and have neglected using powell.

19. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Im not saying the Jets should have kept him. But having a bruising back (Khiry Robinson) would have helped. The Jets red zone efficiency has been horrible, and part of that is they cant run it in and have to rely on Fitz.

They would have won the Bengals game with a bruiser.

20. Gremlin

The operative word was 'had' or to be rather more specifically clearer, He was not asked or put into a position where he had to turn on the 'favre'.

As others have pointed out - That was a lot easier against a schedule consisting of a terrible NFC East, AFC South and Browns. The AFC East and NFC West are totally different beasts as is an away trip to Kansas.

He was, is and remains an average QB on what is turning out to be an average team with average coaching and if we were to ride Fitz to the end of the season I could see us maybe a game shy of .500 and ranked somewhere between 9th and 12th in the AFC. I'd hope that we'd swtich to Petty before then tho' (basically if we lose to Ravens).

NCJetsfan likes this.