Bench the Beard

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by playtowinthegame, Oct 2, 2016.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Woody knows what's up

It's beyond the point of what's going to happen to Fitz if they bench him or what the rest of the players are thinking

I bet many of the players would like to see him benched as well at this point if they're being fully honest

It's about accountability more than anything

hornblower likes this.
  2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. If he stinks it up against the Steelers, I will definitely be on board with benching him, but it's not too late to turn it around. Hopefully the Jets can have a game similar to the 2014 Steelers game, where the defense forces multiple TOs. I don't know if they can do it, though. The defense seems to have taken a step back this year. Teams are lighting the Jets up on the back end which plays right into the Steelers' strength as a team.

3. IdziksGhost

IdziksGhost New Member

If Fitz is playing awful, and the int's are his fault, fine, I have no problem with it at all. I don't think its about stubborn, I just think the coaches and the players see more than we see. We watch the game and have no clue what the play call is, what the instruction from the coaches is, what every player is supposed to be doing. Fitz has looked bad, and I am sure most of it is on him, but I am also pretty sure that others have plenty of responsibility too. Its easy to put all the blame on the QB, but if it was all on the QB, I would think the coaches would have already put in Geno.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I agree, Fitz's limitations are glaring and teams know our routes, gameplans, and most importantly, they know Fitz. They aren't scared of him and they stack the box in hopes that the game becomes highly pass orientated. Fitz locks on to receivers, pre-determines reads, and throws inaccurately. I maintain that Fitz will be benched soon enough if he continues to struggle, which I suspect will be the case.

5. King Koopa

While I get what you're saying, you don't think it's possible that Bowles is simply a stubborn and old school coach that won't want to admit that bringing Fitz back was a mistake by benching him? For all we know Macc and maybe even Woody are forcing Fitz to play...we have no idea who's behind it

This shit wouldn't fly for most NFL coaches and we should demand accountability from Mr holdout.

Fitz your garbage play has been exposed...time to put up or sit down this week

6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

It's pretty evident with this schedule that it is going to be hard to recover. Fitz is gone after this year so one more poor performance and he will be probably be cut since the team is already carrying four QB's. It makes no sense to hold on to him if they are not in contention. He gets his money and rides off. The rest of year is used to see if they have an answer in house or if they have to go all out to get a quarterback.

7. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Which is why I just picked up Sammy Coates.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  8. IdziksGhost

IdziksGhost New Member

I think losing is the worst thing that can happen for a coach, and a GM. I think they are far better off being wrong with personnel decisions, and winning, then being stubborn with wrong personnel decisions and losing. I'm not a fan of Bowles, but I understand he and the coaching staff understand things at a far deeper level than any of us fans have the ability to understand. That does not mean they are right, but I do trust they have the intention of winning, and if they thought for one second that Geno or Petty or anyone gave them a better chance of winning, they would do it.

9. King Koopa

There were studies done that coaches don't go for it on 4th down nearly enough...Coaches (wrongly) think that by punting and doing the conventional thing they are giving their team the best chance to win when the facts say that isn't always the case

Same thing could be said here...Bowles might in his mind truly believe that a veteran like Fitz gives him the best chance to win just because he's a conservative and old school coach by nature. He might truly believe that Fitz will play better any day now. It doesn't mean his assessment on Fitz being the best chance to win is correct at this point in the season

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  10. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Fitz is playing exactly how we thought he'd play. Last year was a fluke. His contract stalemate highlighted to the world that the Jets organization thinks he's dogshit and couldn't repeat last year. They only signed him for one year, hardly a show of confidence, and did re-sign him only because they thought his pile of steamy dogshit fits better for this team than Geno's (Fitz will throw int's down the field where it doesn't hurt as much as knucklehead Geno's int's / fumbles at the line of scrimmage).

The only ego's more fragile than a QB is a WR so I get it when you have lots of $$ and years locked up in your QB for the CS to support him no matter how badly he's played but this isn't the case here. Bowles need to create a competition for the starting position, if you play like dogshit your benched and in with the next guy.

Given the makeup of this team, awful secondary on D, avg DL, no ability to stop a TE in the short passing game etc. this team WILL be scored on regularly.

On offense they don't have a rock pounder like Ivory was and the right side of the OL can't open holes. Fitz has a wet noodle for an arm and isn't accurate past 5 yds or so. That translates into a dink and dunk system with Fitz being check down Charlie. That doesn't work when the opposition is scoring at will. Fitz gives them a chance to win ONLY when the defense shows up and allows the Jets offense to play from ahead. If they're behind this team has zero ability to come back for a win with Fitz at QB. If he starts and they fall behind yank his ass and put in either Geno or Petty to sling it down field. Geno sucks in the short game and throws tons of int's and fumbles at the line of scrimmage. Throwing downfield removes that condition from him and could allow them to come back.

If Geno or Petty shows they're better than Fitz then change the dink and dunk to a downfield passing team. That will open things up for Forte and Powell and make this team more balanced.

11. IdziksGhost

IdziksGhost New Member

I am not saying Bowles is right, I am saying if he saw the tape and knows the play calls, and Fitz is as at fault as the fans seem to think he is, it does not seem to be in his best interest to try to keep Fitzpatrick in at all. Sometimes there is more to it than we understand as fans, that is all I am saying.

12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Agreed completely. The coaches see these guys on the field way more than we do and they practice those very plays. They surely have a much greater understanding of the situation than we do. Fans can just be very passionate so they become super reactionary about things and need to play the blame game.

It certainly hasn't just been Fitzpatrick letting the Jets down this year. Blown coverages, muffed kickoff returns, WR drops, redzone play calling, special teams blunders, setting the edge, poor coverage from LBs, and poor safety play have all contributed. I just hope they can pull some of this together before the season is gone.

#332 Sam Hammer, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    IdziksGhost likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The QB on every team gets more credit than deserved when they win, and more blame when the team loses.

Usually.

Recently, people were saying how they could finally relax while the offense was on the field.

That sentiment has certainly flipped...and that's all on Fitzpatrick.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah but Fitz has been the biggest problem. They aren't asking him to come back down 35 points or anything. It was 17-3 in KC before he blew it and 17-10 against Seattle before he blew it.

This is the NFL even bad QBs win games like that.

Also its more than just the INTs. He has been leaving big plays off the board

#334 BrowningNagle, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    King Koopa and zace like this.
  15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

That's the part people are ignoring. Leaving the big plays on the board, bad decisions, no idea what to do if the first read is gone.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Thank you...

17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

There were a lot of people who pointed it out last season too, but all people saw was a high td number, so they ignored everything else. You had people say oh bull to interceptable passes.......this is what happens when defenses catch those balls. He had a lot of Lucky bounces last season, hes not getting them this year.

The thing that stood put to me last season too was how lost he looks once the team is trailing. Its like he goes into panic mode regardless of how minimal the deficit is. As long as the team had the lead he looks betterish. Still not good or great. His stats definitely back this up as well.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Agree... but Fitz has cost us two games because he can not throw deep balls period. AS for Bowles, I would say that like last year when Fitz wasn't playing poorly - esp Huston game - Bowles let him play to see if he could get better and he did albeit with a very weak schedule... I believe he is doing the same thing in the hopes he can straighten himself out.. Personally I doubt that will happen given Fitz's track record against good teams....

The problem for Bowles is if he benches Fitz for Geno and Geno is as bad or worse where does he go? If petty was ready then you would "hope" he would insert him and bench Geno. One thing for sure if Fitz's sucks again and Bowles stays with him then I see bowles as part of the problem

19. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

The Jets QB situation is screwed for the year unless by some miracle Geno turned into an NFL QB in the last 4 weeks sitting on the bench.
    The coaching staff had all summer to watch Geno while they waited for Fitz to sign. If there was something there with Geno, he'd be starting this week.

Ralebird and LarryAlRalph like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

To answer your question in bold, imo he goes back to Fitz. The purpose in benching him is to hold players accountable for their play. Just because he benches him for a game, doesn't mean he's benched for the rest of the season. He would be giving Geno a start to see if he can give the team a spark AND to give Fitz a chance to get his head on straight and not try to play outside of himself. If Geno played well, Bowles could continue to start him. If Geno played only so-so he could go back to Fitz to see if the one game benching improved his play or he could give Geno another start.