Bench the Beard

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by playtowinthegame, Oct 2, 2016.

1. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

well when the season is over I will. lol I can't make up stats?

I'm not taking sides... I love Geno but at this point I'm more interested in what Petty will bring us.. but I know Geno is the next man up so...

and Geno's 2014 first four games were also better. thing is the team Geno has was light years WORSE than the team fitz has.. yet Geno still produced (better?) Point here is to say Geno should get a shot with the new team.. to say fitz is the best QB for us isn't accurate because we seen no other QB play with this regime

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They're not "contrived" stats. It's a valid comparison to look at the first 4 games of the season. One can't really compare the whole seasons with those two, because Geno was a rookie and had few, if any, weapons around him. Fitz was a veteran and had legitimate weapons. Fitz may be the best QB on the team on paper, but he certainly isn't playing like it. No one has forgotten that the season still has 12 more games left. In fact, that's WHY we want a change. We don't want to see the season go down the tubes with Fitz. He's limited and every NFL team knows it. As long as he's playing QB, opposing teams will stack 8 in the box to take away the run and the short and intermediate routes and dare Fitz to beat them deep. They all know that he can't do it, at least on a consistent basis. They all know that he tends to make his mind up where he's going with the ball before the snap, rather than actually going through his progressions.

Last season people were praising Fitz because he gets the ball out so quickly. Well, did you ever consider that he gets it out so quickly because he makes up his mind before the snap where he's going to throw it? That's what leads him to throw into double and triple coverages when he misreads the D before the snap. To make matters worse, he's as bad as Geno ever was, if not worse, at locking onto his intended receivers.

At this point in time, we think that Fitz gives the team little, if any, chance of winning. We need a QB who can connect on deep passes to loosen up the underneath routes and get 8 men out of the box so the Jets can run the ball. In addition if you look at his stats and W-L record over his career against better teams, Fitz is abysmal. Not long ago, someone posted them here in the forum and they were pretty bad. He just isn't the QB who is going to enable us to beat these better teams on a consistent basis.

Yes, the Jets have a rough schedule, but again, it's not that we're losing some games, it's HOW we're losing those games. With the exception of the Bills game, the offense really hasn't been in sync. It needs a spark, something to get it going.

JetLifeLo and King Koopa like this.
  3. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Geno has only played 1 game since 2014. I have no issue with giving Geno a shot if Fitz keeps crapping the bed, but let's not get stupid with throwing out stats from 2013.

101GangGreen101 and PulseJet like this.
  4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Not to mention... we're comparing Fitz to "The worst QB in football" ... that's what Geno was labeled after his first two years... so if Fitz isn't even doing better than that.... lol, there's a HUGE problem and changes MUST be made... may be a make or break game for Mr. Bowles coming up.. hope he plays his cards right.. if Fitz is acting up early in the game you gotta pull him. Time to put pride to the side.

5. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

It's just personal preference on my part and perhaps not something shared across the fanbase but I honestly don't care that much about any QB (whoever it is) throwing INTs late on when we need to push the ball down the field. We know he has to air it, the opponent knows we have to air it and chances are that it is probably going to happen and unless your QB is on a Rodgers or Wilson level........odds are it will happen.

So I'm sticking with Fitz.

When we're ahead or its the first 3 quarters - he does take care of the ball. Geno historically seems to throw his picks early and in all kinds of scenarios. It's frustrating that we seem to be hanging with a team only to give it away late but it does keep me watching to the end unlike those days when we'd frak it up early and I'd be channel hopping before the half.

LarryAlRalph and PulseJet like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I agree, but 2014 Geno wasn't this bad. We have a better team on the offensive side of the ball and better coaching too.

7. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Good post. I tend to agree with you, last week the first INT was horrible, totally on Fitz. But the second was the bounce off of Andersons chest and the last one was a desperation time heave it up. The game was close up until the 4th quarter and the mistakes were all around, not just Fitz.
    The KC game had a few tipped INT's that the receivers should have made plays on, but then Fitz lost his mind.

When Fitz is asked to bring the team back from behind, he just doesn't have it in him. He is not an elite QB, and he isn't paid like one either thankfully.

That being said, I am all for bringing in Geno this week against the Steelers. Not because I think Geno will do any better (I dont) but because the team needs to know that playing poorly has consequences. Geno cant really do worse than Fitz at this point and a Steeler game on the road is a likely loss anyway. So set an example for the team Todd. This isnt the union and your not the shop steward.

If Geno does well, the season is salvaged. If Geno blows but playoffs are still in the picture, you can still bring Fitz back in and see if he can make a run. If playoffs are out of the picture, get Petty ready. See what he has. Two years holding a clipboard is plenty of time to learn the offense and run it well, if he is capable.

LarryAlRalph and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Lets not kid ourselves this team is playing flat and if a change at QB can possibly bring that with giving Petty or Geno a chance I say do it. 12 mill or not it's a one year deal we planned to move on sooner rather then later

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Maybe contrived was the wrong word to use, but those stats were posted to suggest Geno is near Fitzpatrick's level and it isn't really a valid comparison. If it is invalid to compare the whole season, it just as invalid to use the first 4 games. Basically that tweet is highlighting the fact that Fitz is currently struggling to suggest Geno might be better.

You have to start Fitz against the Steelers, their passing D is ranked 30th and their offense is a juggernaut. The Jets will likely need to score 30+ to win this one and I don't see Geno doing that. Fitz just sucks balls against tough defenses, but we know this is nothing new.

Don't get me wrong. Geno might be better at this point, but I haven't seen anything to convince me that Geno would have performed any better against the Seahawks, Chiefs or Bengals. I defer to the coach on this one.

The Jets can overcome a 2-4 start. There is no reason to switch to Geno at this point. Don't forget, the Jets had that brutal 1-7 start in 2014. Guess who was at the helm for that one?

#309 Sam Hammer, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

while I agree its too early to go to the bench just yet, fitz,i believe,has only won 4-5 games when he needed to score more than 20 points. we stick with fitz now because it keeps things stable, but another multi int loss and to quote yogi, it will get late early around here

11. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

This year was set up to be a disaster at QB.

Nobody thought Fitz was going to match his production from last year, but he is also doing worse than anyone expected. If we turned to Geno and his total lack of football IQ, or the project known as Petty we wouldn't be in much better shape... It better at all IMO.

I don't see a point in benching him yet, but it we go winless in this tough stretch of games I say why not... Give one of the young kids experience against the easier portion of the schedule, I highly doubt Fitz would go undefeated if we ended up 1-6 before our schedule gets easier.

IdziksGhost likes this.
  12. Gremlin

I'd feel a lot happier about switching to Geno had he done something (other then a nice TD pass to Peake) in pre-season to make me think "Ok - He's looking improved from 2014" but he barely beat out Petty and if only by a shade.

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  13. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

It's not only about the interceptions though. I highly recommend everyone to head over turnonthejets.com and check out some of the articles which highlight many instances where Fitz has thrown behind his receivers, hasn't lead his receivers, and flat out misses his receivers. We all knew Fitz was careless with the ball, but right now he is throwing inaccurately, and throwing with little to no strength whatsoever. He can't throw accurately past 15-20 yards. Simply put, he looks awful.

Maybe he fixes it against Pitt, but I'm not so sure I can realistically expect that. Either ways, my personal leash with Fitz is very short. If he throws another 2-3 picks next game, I make the switch to Geno.

LarryAlRalph and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  14. IdziksGhost

IdziksGhost New Member

Fitz has been bad, but I don't think there is any good that comes out of benching him this week, I really don't. Geno has absolutely no future here whatsoever, and the guy we need to bench Fitz for is Petty, who is probably not ready. The reality is our pass defense sucks so badly that there is pretty much zero chance of winning this week regardless of which of our QB's plays. If Fitz plays terribly again this week, AND Petty is ready to go the following week, I am all for it. Playing Geno is a bigger waste of time than playing Fitzpatrick is. I don't think he was as awful last week as it seemed, though he was not good, I think his receivers screwed him over badly last week, and the Seahawks defense is one of the best in the league.

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  15. Gremlin

Well.........if its something like a 34-24 loss with fitz chucking his INT's in another attemt at a comeback then I'd keep going with fitz for another 2 weeks and see where we are at after the Ravens game.

Essentially, I want to some some offensive production at this point to have any hope that we can go better then 1-6 and continue to have even the smallest hope of being relevant come christmas.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Suppose its halftime sunday and the Jets are down 21-10. Fitzpatrick threw another couple INTs in that half, 11 in 3 weeks. Why would you NOT make a change to Geno Smith????? What kind of message does that send, trotting Fitzpatrick out in the second half of that game. What would be the point, you are going to allow yourself to be 1-4 and pretty much end the season then, what , just to be stubborn?

Regardless of what you think about Smith long term, I don't believe its a given that he has no future here btw, if nothing else I think a switch to Geno Smith could help develop the young receivers like Anderson, Quincy Enunwa, and Peake. They would see what life is really like in the NFL, not having to stop and wait for floaters when they are out there running for passes.

matt robinson 17 and grkmanga31 like this.
  17. grkmanga31

It all depends on how ownership/front office/coaching staff view the season. If they want to hold on to Fitz despite the record, and chalk this season up as one that was lost already then they may stick with fitz. My interpretation is everyone in the organization believed this was a prime opportunity to win now which is why Macc caved and gave Fitz 12 mil. I think they expected a regression from Fitz but not to this degree. I also don't think anyone foresaw the defense playing this poorly. Still am shocked that we are this bad given the talent on the defense.

18. grkmanga31

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Woody gets it. Herm and the other stiffs on that program are clueless. They're still thinking like coaches thought 20 years ago. It's stupid. When your starting QB is sucking game after game, making the same mistakes, why leave him in? IMO the HC owes it to the team, the owner, the fans, and even the starting QB to bench him and give him a chance to get his head on straight. He owes it to the team, owner and fans to see if the backup can give the team a spark, and change the team's fortunes. This is even more true when the starting QB is as limited as Fitz is, and as a result, opposing Ds are all playing you the same way, which is taking away your offense. They are all putting 8 men in the box, taking away the Jets' rushing attack and underneath routes and daring Fitz to beat them deep. We all know that Fitz can't do that on a consistent basis. He has neither the arm strength, the accuracy, nor the football intelligence to know how to do that. Unless or until Fitz and the Jets can start beating teams who are defending them that way, they will continue to see that defense, and Fitz gives them little or no chance to win. The Jets' only hope to start winning is to put a QB in who can complete long passes downfield, which will result in opponents changing their D strategy, and trying to prevent the long passes, which will open up the underneath routes again and the rushing attack. If a change isn't made, I can see the Jets winning 4 or less games this season.