Bench the Beard

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by playtowinthegame, Oct 2, 2016.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Although I generally operate under the premise that both GM and HC deserve 3 seasons to accurately assess their jobs, Bowles is really digging his own grave. We all came out of last season thinking he was a good coach, but he could and should improve on things like adjustments, challenges, and clock management. Fast forward and we have seen Bowles actually regress in those categories. The jets look unprepared, gutless, and flat out embarrassing out on the field. If we have 5-11 or 6-10 kinda year, I'm not opposed to pulling the chord on him. On the contrary it raises an interesting situation because Macc has done a much better job being a GM, than Bowles has done being a HC. I would keep Macc and let him hire his own hand picked coach. Macc has done nicely in the draft and we are actually getting some quality players.

PulseJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

4 TD's, 10 Int's and 4 fumbles say goodbye

Cman68 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  3. You're falling for one of the biggest tricks the yearly NFL calendar has to offer. While I agree rookie QB's are far more ready to perform earlier than a decade ago...they have early success b/c A. Teammates know they have to step up their game to help the rook out B. Defenses don't have enough or any film on the best way to defend them.

You watch..all these September titans will come back to earth in a big big way. There are always peaks & valleys with a rookie QB.

4. The problem w. an experienced head coach is if their available...they're available for a reason. They typically have some downfall or blemish on their resume. Now candidacy shouldn't be about perfection..but we know how some of our fellow fan base thinks, we know how the reptiles of the daily news/Post report & we know what type of star studded wuss Woody is...

Is this fan base gonna accept a seasoned head coach wwho may have made some mistakes in the past? I'm not so sure.

5. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

The back up QB is always the most popular player on a losing team. With that said, why are the Jets carrying 4 QBs?

If we lose to the Steelers, I see no reason not to make a switch. Fitz is signed to one year. Odds are he is not here next year. If our next QB is on the team, they need real game experience. Playing Fitz helps no one.

Prescott, Lynch, Wentz, Mariota, Winston Garropolo. All are having varying levels of success. Meanwhile we start a journeyman QB who has a track record of careless play, with no ability to come back from any deficit. Why?

I can watch interceptions and bad QB play from a rookie, but playing Fitz now makes no sense.

Go right down the line. Start with Geno, then Petty, then Hack. At the least we will know what we've got.

PulseJet, Cman68 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

exactly where has mac done nicely in the draft? just curious because I see this line of thought often and not sure I agree. other than Williams what are his great picks at this point?

7. FJF

could you imagine any other jet qb with that stat line getting any support ?

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As opposed to... Lousy clock management, poor preperation and marginal in game decisions??? I think the fanbase would absolutely embrace an experienced HC even with blemishes rather than suffer thru endless OJT episodes. One thing an established HC would bring to this franchise is some form of credibility as it takes away the new guy excuses.

Finally, and I believe this firmly, its gonna take a "name" to succeed in this market. You don't hire a rookie to be your CEO or even your VP. If Mac is presented with an opportunity to hire his HC, he'd better take everything into account including the market he's in. If nothing else, hire an Offensive minded coach instead of the endless line of DC's that never seem to pan out here.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

They love for Fitz at this stage is simply amazing. Some here will rather continue to shit on someone because he had a bad game or 2, two years ago with a completely inept offensive set of weapons but condone Fitz dismal current performance with much better weapons. Even when he hits on the long ball he hampers the receivers ability to go further by underthrowing instead of leading. He is a liability at each and every turn. Yet Geno sucks, and Fitz will be better. Better for what? Like Geno or not we have no credible data, zero, nada, as to how his performance is now.
    Even more amazing is the reluctance to give youth a chance. I seem to recall that when Petty was playing like a QB should in preseason, placing the long pass righ on the basket and on stride to the WR the cry was: he is doing that against scrubs...yada, yada, yada.
    Fitz will be ok when the season starts, he is so damned smart. Yep, he is smart enough to BS our GM and CS to negotiate a big contact for a lousy set of qualifications, Last year was a fluke, even when he won he was not that impressive. He is a journey man back up for ever more. And this year ain't even good enough to do that.

But to add some icing to the cake, what is more alarming is the inept CS on both sides of the ball as evidenced by our total inability to game plan. Our highly glamoured D is sucking big time. The game planning and secondary alignment is dismal. Fuck I though that was Bowles claim of fame. When he first came to us I liked the attitude. Talk softly and carry a big stick. Unfortunately, it appear neither the CS nor Fitz carry any stick at all.
    It's time for a change.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

2017 and Fitz has a new address...

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  11. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Mac has done a pretty good job with the draft and free agency BUT... he picked a QB project in round 2 when Prescott was there in round 4 or he could have packaged picks to move up "if" they had someone else rated much higher.

You take impact players in rounds 1-3. Projects are for middle rounds. You either take a QB in round 1 or you wait until middle rounds. As much as I like him, I cannot forgive him taking a project in round 2 even if Hack does become a good starter.

12. grkmanga31

Not only has he picked quite a few nice players in the draft, I also think his ability to scout undrafted free agents is worth mention. This past draft alone he was able to get Robby Anderson and Jalin Marshall, who lets be honest, both need work, but with time they may very well develop into nice wide receivers. Justin Burres is still too early but last week he made a nice play while Revis was out, Leonard Williams is a beast, Devin Smith has been out with ACL but he was burning db's last season but couldn't hook up with Fitz, in part because Fitz can't throw accurately past 15 or 20 yards. Jordan Jenkins looks to be a good player, Lachlan Edwards is leaps and bounds better than Quigley, and Charone Peake, although early looks pretty promising. Petty, Hack, Mauldin, are pretty questionable, but its 2 years in, players don't develop overnight, but I have seen enough promise from quite a few picks that I think he has done well enough. The problem I see is the coaching staff has been outcoached every game except Buffalo.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. grkmanga31

I'm not willing to automatically label Dak as an automatic star in this league. Sure, he has looked good thus far, but we are talking about a 4 game sample size. I think that's premature in labeling someone better than what Hack may become. I think people are right to criticize where hack was drafted but if you look at his resume he was running the patriots offense at the age of 18 and making the same checks at the line as Tom Brady. He was the number one highschool qb recruit in the country. He was then forced to alter his mechanics, and play in back of the worst o line in college football. Plus penn state sanctions, plus Franklin being horrendous and you have a kid who's 21 who had a ton of promise go to waste because of a bad situation. I think Macc viewed Hack's negatives as fixable but time will tell. I will reserve judgment till next season because I believe it will take awhile for Hack to regain confidence and fix his mechanics.

14. FJF

again, who are these nice players? he drafted Williams and he is a beast, no doubt, but after that who is a nice player. he drafted some nice prospects but I wouldn't call any other draft picks good players yet. I think the mac is a good drafter is as premature as the bowles is a bad coach.

15. grkmanga31

I don't disagree. It takes time for prospects to either flourish or fall out, but I think prospects and coaches are different. Bowles has been coaching for awhile, he's been an interim coach as well. Why in his sophmore season as a coach he's regressed and making the same questionable decisions. I like how Bowles approaches the media, and keeping the team level headed, I am incredibly troubled by his game plans, his in game adjustments, his time out decisions, clock management, and challenge decisions. I want him to succeed, but he almost seems loyal to a fault (just like Rex). Our secondary has sucked for 4 straight weeks, where are the adjustments? I hope he turns it around, but I can't say I'm confident he will.

16. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Ryan Fitzpatrick's 5 last games. Beautiful.

[​IMG]

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  17. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

fugly....bye Fitz

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

19. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Until an NFL team gets a top QB you cannot evaluate. Unfortunately, the rules make it a quarterback league and the Jets do not have one. Changing staff etc. is silly without a plus guy at that position.

20. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I am with you...this team has regressed and its not just the schemes but the players also. the CS seems clueless and today I read Pryor saying, " I do not know what's wrong" and Bowles says like last week we need to get it fixed and there are no excuses but when asked about personal changes he noncommittal...

I hope we are wrong and he can get his act together but it doesn't look good. If ne makes no changes aka Kotite then he should get canned. I sick if see unprepared teams that come out flat, unemotional and go through the motions.

NCJetsfan likes this.