Bench the Beard

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by playtowinthegame, Oct 2, 2016.

1. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Personally I'd prefer going to Petty, but if there any chance on this planet that Geno could give at least an average showing and provide an offensive spark, then go with him.

TNJet likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If the Jets aren't going to play Geno regardless of how abysmally Fitz plays, they might as well cut him now. They're killing whatever confidence he may have keeping him on the bench while Fitz is sucking on the field. Geno has the arm to lead receivers deep and just by virtue of being someone different may give the team a lift or spark. If nothing else, having Fitz sit for a week may do him good. Sometimes in baseball when a player is in a bad hitting slump, but Manager will sit him for a game or two to take the pressure off so he'll quit pressing.

Yes, Geno looked bad in preseason, but there's no way he could have played as badly as Fitz has the last two weeks.

LAJet likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Not quite accurate, Cman. Mac didn't hire Bowles. Woody did before Mac started.

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Bowles has no business coaching the jets. Bowles is not only a poor game coach, but he is a very poor talent evaluator. He is defending Fitz like Fitz has super bowl rings. Fitz has never made the playoffs with God-knows how many teams and nearly double-digit seasons. We are GOING to be 1-5 in 2 weeks with fitz and bowles. Make a move now. Oh, and for once consider drafting some OL help next year before round 5. The jets look old, overpaid, overpowered at the line of scrimmage, unprepared, without passion, outcoached, and stubbornly loyal to their underachievers. Other than that they look great. I give them 6 wins at most this year.

TNJet likes this.
  5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

We disagree because you're holding on to hope the season isn't lost this early.

Once we lose to Pitt, we'll have the tie breaker disadvantage to 3 AFC teams currently ahead of us.

Whether or not Geno Smith gives the Jets a better chance to win over Fitz is irrelevant in my eyes because it will not alter the course of the season.

The only question I have is; where is Petty in his rehab progress?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

This organization will never turn the corner no matter how much talent they have on the D line, WR etc. if they can't find a franchise QB.

If the last 2 games was Geno rather than Fitz with 9 int's everyone would be calling for his head and there would be incredible pressure to yank him mid-game if he screws up again next week. The fact that it was Fitz and Bowles hasn't remotely hinted that Fitz is on a short leash and could be yanked if he has another bad game is ridiculous.

Fitz isn't that much better than Geno (and I'm no fan of geNO). He's playing scared with all the dump offs then gets careless when they're behind and trying to catch up. The OL didn't do him any favors today but the game plan at WR to send em all down field so he can dump off the ball and let Forte, Powell etc. move in space isn't moving the ball down field enough to catch up, its a safe way to give Ftiz a crutch because Fitz is so awful as a QB throwing down the field. He has a noodle arm and Bret Favre gun-slinger mindset. Terrible combination which is why the guy is and will always just be a journeyman QB.

This defense looks to be WAY over-rated. They get no push 2 consecutive weeks against scrub OL. Wilson on one leg had all day to read his progressions.

The next few weeks will tell us all we need to know about Bowles as a leader. I don't think he has the balls nor the brains to pull Fitz. If this team gets to 1-6, the season is gone and its time to find out about the kids at QB.

Freddy Mondo and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The point of keeping Geno was if we were in contention and Fitz got hurt he would give us the best chance to win now. If the season is shot there's no point going with a QB who was bottom of the league when he played and will be a FA after this year. And with the exception of the KC game Geno could've easily been worse. Fitz has thrown 10 INTs but 6 were in garbage time.

TNJet and BuzzKillington like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I don't really hold out hope for the season or playoffs. I was one who never thought they'd make the playoffs this year anyway due to our tougher schedule and knowing how inconsistent and bad Fitz is. I just am sick of seeing Fitz' rag arm and seeing such awful play from the QB position. I never wanted the dumbass back anway. I didn't think he was worth the money he wanted.

Geno may be no better, but at least they'd be trying to do something differently to give the team a spark. I haven't heard any positive news about Petty's rehab, so that's why I think the reigns should be handed to Geno until Petty is healthy. Ideally, I think it would be better to wait until Petty has had plenty of time to heal and get some snaps in practice so he'll be prepared to start. If they're not gonna play Geno barring a season-ending injury to Fitz, then why is he still on the team? If that's the case, keep playing Fitz, but as soon as Petty's healthy, start giving him half the snaps in practice, and then each week bump up the number of snaps he gets, so that by game 8-10 Petty is getting 90% of the snaps in practice, and will be starting for the last half of the season. The Nov. 6 game against Miami would be a good first game for him. In some ways it may normally make more sense to wait and start Petty after the Bye week, but the first game back is vs the Pats, and that wouldn't be fair to Petty. If Petty can't be healthy/ready to start by the Miami game on Nov. 6, then they probably should wait until the Dec. 5 game against the Colts to start Petty.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Fitz is obviously limited and if the Jets are 3-8 or something Petty should be the QB, regardless of how Fitz is playing. We know what Fitz is.

But i blame this game on the secondary and the O-Line.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You're right. Woody did this backasswards.. #NoMoreFirstTimers

TNJet and BuzzKillington like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

There's plenty of reason to go with your backup QB. The team looks awful. It's embarrassing. They need to recoup some pride. The way that both Fitz and the D are playing, they could wind up 1-15.

Saying that 6 of the 10 picks were in garbage time is an excuse. If Fitz had played worth a damn early in the game, the Jets wouldn't have been so far behind and he wouldn't have to be forcing throws. Geno could have been worse, but I don't think so. Fitz has been in the league for what, 11 years? He's still throwing into double and triple coverage, not reading the D, making progressions and is deciding before the snap where he's going with the ball and staring the receivers down. Geno would have more of an excuse than Fitz if he did that, but Geno wasn't doing that in TC or preseason. I think Geno's problem in preseason was lack of confidence. If they showed some confidence in him and put him in there with a decent game plan and play calling, you might be surprised at how well Geno would do.

One of the definitions of insanity is to keep doing the same things but expecting a different outcome. When things aren't working, one has to make a change. Sitting Fitz would send a clear message to the whole team that their sloppy play will not be tolerated and the they'd better get their asses in gear, or they may be benched or off the team following the season.

Petty's not healthy yet and hasn't had enough snaps to play. If they aren't going to play Geno, fine, but start giving Petty a ton of reps as soon as he's fully healthy and plan to start him by game 9.

12. NCJetsfan

The secondary has obviously sucked, but it might have been a very different game if the Jets had scored two long TDs on the throws that Fitz missed.

13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

They were in garbage time...because he sucked so bad earlier that there actually was a garbage time

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Keep chanting that mantra that Fitz gives us the best chance to win. We are 1-3, and probably 1-5 in a few weeks. He ain't winning.

15. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

If I see one more post saying this loss wasn't on him I'll break something 9 INT in 2 games ... its ALL on him he belongs at K mart stocking shelves I rather have Kellen Clemens starting right now ... heck I'll take Eric Ainge ... Fitz can go jump off a cliff he robbed us of 12 million dollars ...

BuzzKillington likes this.
  16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

40 INTs with no arm and no comeback ability gives us the best chance to win

legler82, Cman68 and JetBlue like this.
  17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

What's the excuse going to be next week when Drew Stanton out plays Fitz?

18. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The Jets and Browns are the laughing stoke of QBs, lol around the league you see Prescott in Dallas the kid in Philadelphia the one in Denver rookies come in and play well, move there teams up and down the field.

Then you see the trash we have, when will it change?

TNJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Genos last start was against the Dolphins week 17 before Rex got fired and he had a perfect passer rating and lit it up.

20. BuzzKillington

I agree.

Unfortunately, we don't have Kellen Clemens or Eric Ainge.

We have Geno Smith, and he sucks.

TNJet likes this.