Trade Geno or at least attempt to?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

Since it appears as though Geno is eventually going to be the odd man out wouldn't it make sense to attempt to trade him somewhere?

I'd think there would be some sort of market. Jay Cutler got injured last night. Browns just signed Clipboard Jesus Charlie Whitehurst. I mean if it's reached that point surely there would have to be some market.

To me Petty looked decent enough that I'd chance having him be backup to Fitz.

2. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

I agree at this pt makes no sense holding onto him and we knw he's not coming back next year at all. Even at league min, so why not get something for him. If Fitz goes down and he has to take over were screwed anyway. Might as well let Petty play get the experience and settle in. Than watch him play another snap in green n white with that fugly smirk. The day him and Keller Davis are off tbe rooster we as jets fans will be so happy

3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Sure, take the call if the Bears or Browns rang, but unless they offered something ridiculous (3rd - 4th rounder), he holds more value sitting on our bench as a back up.

That call wont happen because both the Browns and Bears weren't winning this year anyway. They'll need those draft picks to rebuild, so giving them away for Geno freaking Smith, on a half year rental, would be dumb.

4. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If we can get Geno for a half decent pick, Macc will have proven P.T. Barnum correct.

5. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Clearly the coaching staff doesn't agree.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

LWC611 likes this.
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Are these draft pics we have to GIVE the team that takes Geno?

7. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Lmfaooo

FlaJet likes this.
  8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We will see about that when Petty is healthy enough to practice.

RuJFan, FlaJet and LAJet like this.
  9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This is the problem. The only kind of team that would give up a valuable asset like a third round pick is a team that thinks they can contend now, and they are unlikely to think Geno is the guy who can lead them to the playoffs. The kind of team who would just be looking for him to be a placeholder for 10 games needs to keep those assets, and would rather end up 4-12 than 6-10 or 7-9 anyway.

The other mistaken part of the idea to trade him is the assumption that if Fitzpatrick goes down the season is over. What if he only goes down for a game or two? It seems pretty obvious to me that in that scenario the team would have a better chance to win with Smith than with Petty.

10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Hopefully. Clearly we don't need Geno on the roster after this year so I'd rather get anything at all for him than just walking free for nothing.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

11. richieC

richieC Active Member

Thanks man. Gave a good laugh this morning. :D

12. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

We need Geno this year as the backup

Fitz takes some weird and awkward hits and has been injury prone his whole career

This team looks good enough all around that I think Geno could atleast give us a chance to win against most teams...Petty who knows but the coaches know much more than we do. A few great games against guys no longer in the league haven't proved much.

I know many like to hate Geno and he's had some terrible moments but he's also played decent and sometimes very well against real NFL defenses

So Geno even for just this year is worth more than a late round pick down the line

13. richieC

richieC Active Member

Didn't the Jets get Fitzpatrick for a 6th round pick? Fitzpatrick up to that point was at least a reasonable stop gap qb. If geno gets cut, then maybe a team takes a chance on him, but giving ANYTHING for him? I guess anything is possible. Not holding my breath here.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Once had 4 TD's in one game.

[​IMG]

CBG likes this.
  15. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

LOL last game started "perfect game" as well

This argument is old and the Jets have already made their decision

Unless someone offers a 4th or higher (which isn't happening for a 1 year Geno rental) I don't see why the Jets, as playoff contenders, would drop one of the better backups out there

Not smart

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Still need him as a back-up especially since Petty isn't healthy.

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Let's get Chicago's 2019 first rounder and call it a day.

18. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I'm sure we've fielded offers for Geno, but what's being offered is not enough to justify giving up our backup. Also keep in mind that the new team would only be buying for the rest of the season as Geno is a FA next year. They could negotiate a new deal, but that complicates trade scenarios a bit more.

19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I am a Geno hater.

On the other hand, with the talent we have at WR and RB, and the MIRACULOUS play of our O-line this year, I think Geno could actually keep this team humming along reasonably well if Fitz refused to slide one too many times.*

*Opinion subject to change the first time he holds the ball for 9 seconds and fumble-sixes it.

PulseJet and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  20. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Them or the Browns. I'd put even money on the Browns coughing something up for Geno with the dumpster fire they have going on there.