Resigning Fitzpatrick was a major mistake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Greenday4537, Sep 11, 2016.

1. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Um did we all forget Petty was injured in the last preseason game? 2-3 week injury at best. Same old Jet fans.....

2. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Nobody has forgotten that so far as I can tell. IIRC Fitz was signed before Petty was injured, which set the current landscape. As mentioned above, TB had anointed RF at the end of last year, and while Petty had some good moments, he still hadn't displaced Fitz, injury or no.

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This thread is original. What happens when Fitz has a good game you start a thread he should be in the Hall? What happens if folk makes that field goal and extra point and we win do you still start this thread?

Post this topic 7 games in and we are 1-7 sure 0-1 give me a break.

#143 cval, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  4. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

What if Joe Willie and Don Maynard come back? We'll win the Super Bowl again maybe, huh?

There, see how silly that was? And easy, too. I prefer dealing with facts as opposed to "what ifs."

5. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Watching the steelers last night and Big Ben bummed me out after watching our qb on Sunday. I know bens the best but how do we compete against teams with that kinda qb play. Imagine the jets with that talent at qb. Waiting a long time for someone like that and probably never gonna hapoen

6. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

What makes it worse is that he's not even accurate. At least Pennington dinked and dunked with accuracy.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

so petty or geno would have done better? I don't think so

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

and he took advantage of favorable circumstances to get paid big money: His career year + no viable option at Qb = One year deal for as much cash as he could get. Fitz squeezed as much cash out of Mac as conditions would allow. Near the end, Fitz knew his last and best offer was already on the table so he took it. Now whether he plays up to that contract remains to be seen as last year could have been simply an anomaly that wont be repeated. Its a business true, but this was also a money grab. IMO anyway.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  9. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

1. Fitz didnt look great on Sunday (merely mediocre), but I think once he gets more in sync with Marshall and Decker he will get better and have a fine year.
    2. The Jets didnt break the bank on their starting QB. In fact he is currently the lowest paid veteran starting QB not currently on his rookie contract (http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/) other than Case Keenum and Shaun Hill.
    3. He is only 33. If he played just a bit better, with a completion percentage over 60% and more downfield throws I'd make the case that with his positive locker room attributes and mastery of the offensive system he should be extended for a few more years (at least 1) as Jets QB1. But last week wasnt good enough to consider extension.
    4. Still better than Geno though!

10. Cman68

Fitz looked as though he didn't have a preseason at all. Hopefully that changes as time goes on. They didn't break the bank but he's getting paid pretty good for a journeyman Qb that's never been to the playoffs. He's only 33 but it looks and feels older despite his kamikaze runs into the line which amazingly enough hasn't gotten him killed yet. Better than Geno? Given Geno's body of work so far I'd have to agree but that kinda dovetails into the "no other viable Qb option".

#150 Cman68, Sep 13, 2016
    PulseJet and Jets_Grinch like this.
  11. Cman68

2017 your wait may be over. Not sure if you're a Petty fan or not but I like the kid and think he's got a big future in the league. I also like how he made the talent he was playing with better. So much so that I think in large part, Anderson and Peake made the roster on their play with Petty taking snaps. Hell, even Sudfield caught a TD and that's saying a lot!

12. Fitz is awful.

It is beyond clear already that he holds this offense back severely. These WR's are talented but against great defenses you have to be able to throw guys open & have some sort of vertical game. I don't think the issue is the Jet WR's getting deep anymore.

Jets can't start 0-2. I wouldn't wait too long in making a switch. This Buffalo team is gonna come out hungry like they always do.Rex has never lost to Fitz & clearly has his number. If looks dreary early I would switch it up.Take your pick. At least switch things up & get out of this Buffalo funk.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If Fitz puts up a stinker against Buffalo, Get Geno ready to play the next start or start after [meaning more reps in practice]. He put up 2 stinkers against them before last year and he said himself if he doesn't succeed this year he never will. That should give him a much shorter leash.

The true reality is, both QBs can't make more then 1 read and make an accurate throw. So I do not think much will improve, but at least Geno has an arm to make all of the throws. It's kind of sad, that's why I hope Hackenberg becomes the guy in a year. He showed the ability to go through his reads extremely quickly.

14. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i actually thought that AFLAC was a new sponsor......:rolleyes:

15. jetsfan32

jetsfan32 Member

There were a lot of knee jerk reactions in this thread. My points are this and I've posted it before:
    1. Fitz will not be nearly as good as last year as teams know his weaknesses (weak arm) and can only throw the back shoulder passes deep.
    2. Those calling for anybody other than Geno is out of their mind. The exaggeration about Geno's capability with some of you borders on biased hatred. Thank god none of you have anything to do with Jets decisions ha ha.
    3. Jets at the half way point will be 3-5. As much as I love the team, I still believe the Jets will go farther with Geno at QB.
    There are some really smart people that post here but I really do wish more of you could be rational thinkers and not off the cuff reactionaries.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Switch it up week two? Stop already just stop. Fitz is the best QB on the roster. We live and die with him until we are out of the playoffs or he gets hurt.

17. jetsfan32

jetsfan32 Member

Don't worry, 3-5 is on the way.

Yankjetfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

That's the problem,if we had a good too semi elite QB we could win 10 games

#158 matt robinson 17, Sep 13, 2016
  19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

" mark gives us the best chance to win" remember that?

sorry. do NOT agree. you don't produce, you sit. might be a hockey/basketball thing, but it also applies to football.

20. No. I won't stop,LOL.

While it might seem drastic we don't have any margin for error. The cheaters to the north won't lose. We have to win every time out despite a brutal schedule forget opponent just in terms of hostile road environments.

If Geno,Bryce or jesus even Hack can give us 1 read w/ every throw available..you take the 1 read. This offense is built to win now & shouldn't be held back by a short arm.Put the onus on your veteran playmakers to carry the young QB.