So the fire Idzik goons got their way... happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 1, 2015.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

But playing around with the Qb position is dangerous. Idzik after Mark was injured and Garrard "retired" went with Simms as his backup which meant you had two inexperienced Qbs on the active roster. To me it was a mistake.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You pay your dime and you take your chances. The Jet's QB situation is one of the least stable things about the franchise. Having Josh Johnson or Matt Flynn as the backup QB for 1 game isn't going to change that by 1%. Having a vet backup for the other 15 is probably a wise call. For what it's worth Fitzpatrick has been at his best early in the season for his entire career. That argues that he gets banged up eventually and his ability declines alongside the mounting bruises.

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Flynn wouldn't have gotten a guaranteed contract if they had signed him. Johnson would have. So that's why I'm thinking they could still bring Johnson back. He might have been the player Gailey wanted to sign over Flynn after pre-season. He actually looked pretty good. For me I wouldn't have taken this chance unless Gailey was convinced that Petty could play if needed. And I think he can in spots but probably not as this year's starter. You don't want to lose your opening game for a few hundred thousand dollars. And Fitz is coming off of a serious injury.

#583 pclfan, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Again, it probably wasn't about the money , although the Jets were hard up against the cap. It was probably about being able to keep a developmental player, likely a 2015 draft pick, on the 53 man roster.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Absolute and utter BS. I didn't see that quote. The quote I saw praised Petty. SMH. Dude, I'm still waiting to see your first accurate comment about a QB. I have a feeling it's going to be like Waiting for Godot. You're a knowledgeable fan, but for whatever reason, you're blind when you get to the QB position.

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

page one is all that's necessary.... and an example that all "nerds" aren't smart. o_O

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

To answer the OP's initial qeustion...I'm f'n giddy with excitement.

SonofDinger likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If you really liked what Macc did last offseason, send Idzik a quick thanks because he's the reason it was possible.

tbruner12 likes this.
  9. Cman68

How about: " good luck in your new career".. Will that do?

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Too bad he failed with everything else.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Idzik tore it down and Msc built it up. I don't think Idzik could have built it. His drafts were bad, the chemistry between him and the HC was bad, it was all bad.

Thankfully woody took the advice of wolf and casserly and started from scratch.

12. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Cake for Idzik..
    [​IMG]

13. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

All I know is that the way a select few lunatics behaved that winter was an embarrassment to all Jets fans. Idzik may have fucked up a few draft picks but so have countless Jets executives before him.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And they all need an apologist - nice to have you around.

Cman68 likes this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

OK grandma...

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I agree, the eight days from the Winter Solstice celebration to the Idzik Was Fired celebration were brutal.

FlaJet likes this.
  17. Cman68

Idiots and dumbfuks need love too..

18. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think a better question to ask those who wanted Idzik to stay, what were the reasons? Was it so we could see what he was going to build it up to in year 3?

For me, Idziks 2nd offseason did him in. Having let DRC leave the building without signing and then replacing him with Dimitri Patterson, who for the life of me, still don't know why he never showed up to that preseason game. His 12 draft picks and having cut half of them before the season started were HUGE red flags. But then the season started and we got one of the worst seasons I've ever seen. I thought to myself, do I even want to see what Idzik has in store for next year?

#598 Quinnenthebeast, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    FlaJet, HomeoftheJets and alleycat9 like this.
  19. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Then he waited until the season was lost to sign a super expensive WR that just hurt the cap.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I supported what Idzik tried to do in terms of creating cap space (yes I know the cuts were obvious and just about anyone could have done them) and planning long term. It seemed a sound plan to me and I've always assumed that this was a 3 year thing and that Woody signed off on it. Spend in year 3 once the younger players had started producing.

But he totally fucked up with the drafts. The players he picked weren't going to produce or provide the platform for us to be succesful. How much of this was Idzik, how much Bradway and how much Idzik was allowed to bring his own people in we'll never know, but responsibility for it was ultimately on Idzik.

Being saddled with a coach in Rex who was on a win-now schedule was always going to create problems that were possibly insurmountable on their own, but that wasn't on Idzik. How he dealt with this in neglecting the short-term to the extent he did was just stupid. It was a sound idea, I felt, but executed poorly and probably doomed to failure from the outset regardless of how good or bad Idzik was because we didn't commit to it properly as an organisation.

Red Menace likes this.