Roster surprise cut and makes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Turbocharged23, Sep 2, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post. I just have one quibble. That is including Duke in your list of weak football schools. True, it used to be, but it is rising. It probably will never be a Clemson or Florida St., much less an Alabama, but they are no longer pushovers and patsies. They have a great HC in David Cutcliffe who is a QB whisperer. I wish we could send Hackenberg to work with him.

2. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What's the point then? Because I guess I'm
    Missing it too.

4. NCJetsfan

I agree that both are shocks, but who is available that's better at FB? I've been trying to keep up with other teams' cuts, but don't recall seeing a FB that I had any interest in the Jets signing.

5. BroadwayAaron

I mean I guess Howsare is the best FB available because no one uses them anymore. He's so new to the position I just figure Bohannon is more familiar with everything.

6. NCJetsfan

Wayne Hunter and that atrocious LG Adrien Clarke (I think was his name) who was the LG either right before or right after Faneca, I believe, could probably give Baxter a run for his money.

7. NCJetsfan

Yes, Bohannon is more familiar with everything, but not good at anything. I haven't seen Howsare play this preseason, but Bowles must have thought Howsare could block better or do everything better than Bohannon.

8. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the Darron Lee pick. He'll be a decent player, fills a huge need.

But here's the situation that happened during the draft:
    1. Fitzpatrick hadn't signed yet and the fanbase desperately wanted a young QB of the future
    2. A lot of people were for some reason convinced Lynch was a great choice.
    3. We take a ILB instead of Lynch.
    4. Denver takes Lynch.
    5. The fans freaked out, the press jumped on it and it was major headlines.
    6. Mac panicked and took Hackenberg in the second round.

In all probability, Hackenberg would still have been there a round or two later. But there were fans and headlines calling for his head for not taking a franchise QB round 1 so he reached. If he thought Hackenberg could start this year or next, it wouldn't be a big deal but the guy is years from starting. His mechanics are jacked up all around. He has a lot of basics to learn before developing with the offense. That's not what you want from a second round pick.

9. NCJetsfan

There is no point to your post because it's BS.

10. BroadwayAaron

You do realize you just created this scenario out of thin air and labeled it a point?

So like I said in my first post, you totally cracked the case man. Nevermind the rumors predraft that Macc was enamored with Hack. Nevermind the private workouts. Nevermind the meetings. It was the pressure from the fans and media that made Macc "panic" and take Hackenberg. You figured it out dude. Nice.

Ralebird likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This is incredibly speculative to be kind. Mac does not give two shits about fans freaking out.
    Furthermore, you neglected to mention that NE and 3 other teams were ready to pounce on Hack if the Jets did not pick him, which in and of itself would never have happened, because Mac was quite hi on him and would not let the opportunity pass.
    Just for the record this fan base has for years bitched about our inability to draft a fast LB, and rightfully so, so go figure, Mac does that and we bitch about something else.

NYGANGGREEN, Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

There was no point. It's just BS.
    Yeah, like I'm sure that Mac gives a rat's ass what the fans think of his draft picks and that affects his choices! ROFLMAO!!! This is one of the stupidest posts I've seen in a long time.

Several posters have pointed out that at least 2-3 other teams were poised to take Hackenberg in the 2nd or 3rd round. The fact that you think Hack would have been there in the 4th round causes you to lose credibility.

Your thinking is square, in the box, traditional thinking. Mac is light years ahead of you. He knows with this team's D, they're not going to get within sniffing distance of the first 5-10 spots in the draft any time soon without having to give up the ranch to move up. Thus, their chances of getting a real franchise-caliber QB are going to be slim and none. Mac has to then be creative to try to find a quality young starter. There's good hope for Petty already, but Mac couldn't put all his eggs in Petty's basket. Hackenberg has prototypical size, is athletic and mobile, has a cannon for an arm, was running an NFL offense at 18 at a very high level, his football IQ is off the charts (better than any QB in that draft class) and can read Ds. His mechanics were better his freshman year. It was that idiot Franklin that screwed up Hack's mechanics. It probably won't be that difficult for him to fix his mechanics. With his work ethic and desire to excel, he probably can fix those mechanics, if not completely, at least to a large degree, during the 2017 off season and should be ready to compete for at least the backup position if not the starting position next season. So it may not be years, but only one year before he's ready to play. The basics he has to learn are his footwork and throwing mechanics. He probably already knows the offense, is in the process of adapting to the speed of the NFL, and can read Ds better than Geno and a lot of QBs in the NFL already. He will have the time to get in the necessary focused reps working on his footwork and throwing motion and will be ready and should be much improved by the time OTAs roll around next season. Lots of players taken in the first 3 rounds take a year or two to develop. How many years did Aaron Rodgers sit before he took over for Favre? QBs used to sit for a year or two (or more) all the time before they got a shot to start. There is nothing wrong or bad with Hack needing to sit this year, except in the minds of you impatient knuckleheads.

#252 NCJetsfan, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Not that I doubt what you say but after reading similar posts on here I have not been able to find anything to back it up.
    Do you read an article saying this?

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I did, but cant place it know. I thought it was from Adam Schefter. NE and KC were 2 of the teams in the hunt for Hack. Ill have to find it

15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

lol at someone else picking him up... who wants the worst secondary player in football

edit: looks like no one put in a waiver claim, not surprising.

TNJet likes this.
  16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

After Elway had signed Sancho, proving that Elway knows stuff nobody else does, the Paxton Lynch pick was just too much shame for Macc to bear, after there was a mass fan revolt according to his agents back in NY. He totally lost his poise and panicked.

Obviously it was all laid out on NFL.com's draft board and Macc didn't check that first. Bad times, bad times......

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Dee is on the Jets IR now. Jets will still pay the money owed

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'd like to read it if you can find it.

19. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Maybe Milliner will reach an injury settlement with the Jets so he can try to sign somewhere else this year. Even if the settlement is $2M it would save the Jets $2M.

20. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

khiry Robinson (reportedly broke leg in Eagles game)
    Ronald Martin
    Dexter McDougle
    Dominique Williams

So now we have 4QBs, 4 TEs, 3 safeties and 5 CBs.