Roster surprise cut and makes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Turbocharged23, Sep 2, 2016.

1. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

For some reason they seem to be high on keeping, and using, the FB position. While not impressive, Howsare did manage to catch the few passes tossed at him this preseason. Heck, he even showed a little fluidity after the catch Something Bohannon has never done even when he managed to not bounce the ball off his back. On the plus side Howsare with a defensive background could play specials in addition to his FB duties, which makes him far more valuable than Bohannon imho.

While his game might be a little raw you have to take into consideration that Howsare only made the transition to FB from OLB/DE o last season. This was done at Todd Bowles suggestion so he's probably going to give Howsare more than half a chance to prove himself. I'm thinking Howsare is going to be the FB by default, for a little while at least.

egelband likes this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

I wouldn't say that the selection of a stud LB out of Ohio State would be considered as "panicking" due to passing up on Paxton Lynch.

I'm assuming you missed 2015's Sugar Bowl game between Ohio State vs. Notre Dame last year. Where Darron Lee caused havoc (as the games defensive MVP) consisting of 7 tackles (2 for loss behind the line of schrimage), 2 sacks & 1 Forced Fumble.

Lee also put up 146 tackles (27 for loss), 11 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries along with 3 interceptions during his two seasons with Ohio State.

Just in case you haven't taken note, Jets have needed to revamp our LB core with added youth, speed, quickness, athleticism and coverage ability for quite some time now. Darron Lee is one of the youngest, fastest, quickest and most athletically gifted linebackers coming out of this years draft class and also tremendous within pass coverage for an LB.

There was no "panicking" on Maccagnan's part whatsoever. Darron Lee was/is exactly what the Jets needed with the 20th overall pick of this years draft.

I'm just wondering (historically speaking) how many great NFL Quarterbacks have ever came out of Memphis dating back to 1960?

Paxton Lynch mostly played cupcake opponents throughout his Memphis career. He most certainly wasn't Quarterbacking while up against elite SEC defenses.

For a matter of fact, during last years bowl game Lynch looked horrible when finally facing a powerhouse SEC program in Auburn. Against Auburn; Lynch only went 16/37 (43.2%), 106 yards, 0 TD's/1 INT with a disaster QB Rating of 61.9.

Theres a big difference in strength of competition when comparing Auburn to the likes of Tennessee-Martin, Kansas, Duke (football), Bowling Green State, USF, Central Florida, Navy, Tulane, Connecticut, Middle Tennessee State, Brigham Young and Austin Peay etc now isn't there?

Darron Lee absolutely put on a lights out performance during his teams bowl game last year, while Paxton Lynch put up an embarrassment.

I'll tell you what. Darron Lee has a much better chance of becoming the NFL's defensive Rookie of the Year when compared to Paxton Lynch becoming the NFL's offensive Rookie of the Year.

"Panicking" my ass.

#222 DefenseWinsChampionships, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    VaBchJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

This really made my weekend. Sometimes you just have to face reality. Underperforming, and injury prone, are not a really good combo.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is a very very good post, but the post you were responding to isn't worthy of any real thought. You've done TOO good.

5. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I wanted Dee to be a great player for us. Same goes for Amaro. Seeing them cut makes me sad for this team. I'm glad there are some armchair GMs out there who can take joy in knowing that they can spot a failure.

FJF likes this.
  6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

You were gloating just by the tone of your post -- "I said you don't take a kid......." to pump yourself up.
    How am I taking it personally, - you asked "Where the peeps.." , so I responded.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

sensitive sally

8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

The DE was running right past Shell, multiple times, without even being slowed down. This was the back up DE also. Shell in a game would get multiple QBs destroyed.

PabloJa, SOJAZ and matt robinson 17 like this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

Shell is the man who got Petty hurt. And that was just one play. He's been terrible, maybe the worst OL I've ever seen wear a Jets uni. If he touches the field this year, we're in trouble.

#229 BroadwayAaron, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Shell is a turnstile

11. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Mr Vlad comes to mind

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If that really was the case, he wouldn't have much time for anything else. The Jet drafts under Idzik haven't done much. More like living down to fan expectations.

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Colin Baxter was pretty atrocious as well.

You remember the game against Baltimore back in 2011 while Mangold was injured? Baxter was physically and mentally destroyed there at center. His performance was so awful to the point of being pulled from the game in favor of Matt Slauson. He was bad. More like incompetent.

Colin Baxter I'd say was the worst offensive lineman that I've seen in quite some time line up for the Jets.

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Shell had a real rough preseason, and it's clear he's not ready for action.
    That being said, i wouldn't throw dirt on his career here just yet.

Personally, i think the Jets made a mistake starting him off at LT.
    He played RT throughout high school, and his first 3 years of college. He flat out said he's more comfortable on the right side.
    According to his scouting reports, he's a very strong run blocker, but needs to work on his feet and quickness off the snap for pass pro........another indicator to me that he'd be better off starting on the right side.....at least initially.

He certainly has the size and long arms you'd want in an OT, plenty of SEC quality starting experience, and of course the bloodlines.
    Best bet at this point is to red shirt him, and start next year over on the right side.
    If he still sucks, then we'll have to think about moving on..

egelband likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

nothing like being thrown into your first game with Ngata right in front of you.
    dude got destroyed. it changed the whole game really..

16. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

or to uses a hockey defensemen term a "pylon"

A pylon you can just go right around, a turnstile while you have to push it lets everyone through.

Both terms are apropos.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Colin Baxter was a street free agent playing his first game against a pro bowler, and was cut within weeks. Talk shit about Mike T and his incompetent roster construction, but lay off the poor slob who was victimized by it.

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Btw, nobody holds a candle to Jeff "Holding" Criswell.

19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Shell was terrible... how he made the team is beyond me.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

Easy. We gave up a pick to get him. There's no way he was getting cut.

NCJetsfan likes this.