Cut Players Jets Should Look At

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Lon Chaney, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I really disagree that Winters hasn't improved since being drafted. In 2013 he was absolute dogshit, last year he was definitely at least serviceable. He still struggles in the passing game but I'd argue that he's well above average as a run blocker. He wasn't even the worst player on the line, Breno was way worse and there's a reason Brick decided to retire too. Hell, Bowles knows way more about these guys than any of us and he cited Winters as one of the two "most improved" players since he's gotten here along with Skrine. Our issue at right tackle is way more glaring than the one at guard.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

hard to believe he wouldn't be an upgrade over winters

3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I concur. He did improve last year and there's no reason to think he won't improve some more. That is not uncommon with OLineman. I'll be surprised if we make any move with Winters in mind. I think he's entrenched inside along side Mangold across from Carpenter.

I'm gonna guess that Qvale starts at RT. That's what I'm worried about. I think that's one reason we kept Kellen F. Davis too.

Upgrade at RT is more bang for the buck in lieu of having the luxury of drafting a G high in the draft possibly in the future.

4. Big Cat

I'm going to punch a wall if we even target Kellen Davis once this year. We shouldn't even let him run a route, just have him stay in to block every play so Fitz isn't tempted. Fuck it, make him ineligible if you have to.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  5. Big Cat

Never mind, that last idea was terrible. I can already hear it now.. "Ineligible receiver downfield, offense, number 47..."

6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yup. Disappointed in how that all went down.. Was really hoping for more for our O out of the TE position.

Legit worried about RT too. :eek:

Lol!!

Big Cat likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I remember the pass play like it was, well, now. Davis never even looked back for the ball as he ran into the EZ. If I remember right, Davis had a defender on either side of him, running step for step. We lost the game because of this.

MAYBE, Davis was never the target on this play. Maybe his only role was to run into a specific area of the EZ to take defenders with him, to open up space for the real target? The fact that Fitz threw the ball to him when he never did that in practice may be the real error.

MAYBE if there's a designed pass play to Davis that works in practice, he may surprise ppl. I'm not talking a 20yrd seam rout, just a 6-7yrd easy dump off on 3rd and 5. Or even 3rd and goal.

My only thought is we didn't use TEs at all last season, so we really don't even know if Davis can even catch the ball. It'd be a huge bonus if he's a reliable safety valve on those 5-10 yards dump offs. A 6th lineman that the other team has to account for.

Think back to how the miracle in the meadowlands ended!

8. Big Cat

That corner fade was definitely designed for Davis... According to Gailey, that was "one of their best red zone plays" and they practiced it all the time. Yeah, uh, no.

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

ah shit. They really had a 'fade route' with Davis??? OK, so the face-slap goes to Gailey.

ajax and Big Cat like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'll admit that I was wrong about Winters in saying he didn't look like he'd ever be a decent NFL player. He's turning into a quality NFL guard, especially after being moved to the right side. He must be somewhat weak on his right foot because he routinely got beat in 2013 when playing left guard on the same inside move. He's looking a lot better, and I hope he can continue to get better. Having him pan out leaves our guards solidified as we have to look for new tackles and eventually :)() a new center.

However, if we can get an All-Pro guard to man that side, it'd be a win. As others have said, I'd imagine half the league is calling his agent right now.

I know he was pretty bad at left tackle when he made the emergency switch but I wonder if he could play right tackle?

Big Cat likes this.
  11. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Winters has been a disappointment as most Idzuck picks have been. Everybody thought he was going to be a guard with some snarl to him but he's been a pussycat who gets dominated

You know who was drafted right after? Terance WIlliams, then Terron Armstead (Pro Bowl) then Keenan Allen

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned about RT than I am RG. Although that discrepancy is minimal. Seems like every team has one or two question marks on the OL though.

Im sure this guy was axed for a reason.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Element of surprise.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Did some research as you did with Packer fans apparently he has a bad back and he didn't like his contract.

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Discount Double Check?

NYJ79 likes this.
  17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Kellen Davis has no business being in the NFL. We need to scour the waiver wire for a serviceable TE.

18. stevejets38

stevejets38 Active Member

if ur worried about right guard i hear speed stick is pretty serviceable :p

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  19. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

I wish just I knew enough to make an objective assessment about Josh Sitton and the wisdom (as well as the risk reward ratio) of bringing him on board. I understand he's making a $6.15 base salary this year with another $400,000 total in incentives for games started. Provided he can prove himself sound physically, I would think he would merit serious consideration unless he wants more money than we can afford to pay him or if the cost of losing depth and/or mortgaging our future in cutting loose one or more worthwhile future players to make cap and/or roster space proved too onerous.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I wouldn't try to bring in Sitton. Guard is not a position you should spend a lot of money on and he's going to be pretty costly. I also think guys like him can get slightly overrated. An interior lineman on the best offense in the league... they get pro bowl accolades just on reputation. Now if he was a Right Tackle? Then maybe...

---

Also for what its worth, I don't know which one of the beat writers I was reading but he said that Winters was the most improved player in the offseason and the coaching staff was really happy with his offseason progress. I guess he worked his ass off and looks like a completely different player.

Even if its not a giant improvement but a slight one in Winters' play- - he's worth sticking with than dropping dollars on Sitton, who I'm not convinced would be a whole lot of an upgrade but that's just my opinion, I know Winters has a lot of haters here left over from his rookie year.

HomeoftheJets likes this.