Roster surprise cut and makes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Turbocharged23, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Surprised Shell made the team but perhaps what the FO went through to draft him may have had something to do with it. I wonder whether they would have held onto him had he been an UDFA. We'll probably never know the answer to that question. Disappointed about Middleton and Worthy not making it, the latter for added depth with Ross being cut, especially since he has more experience than Marshall as a KR/PR in the event Jalin struggles early on although I suppose we could promote him to the 53 man roster provided we're able to sign him to the practice squad. I liked what I saw from Bostick based on the one big catch he made against the skins. Hope Middleton makes it to the PS.

2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

its about effing time. dude should have been cut in year 1. complete bum. 7th round talent but we drafted him first round cause we needed to replace revis and thought anything he did at alabama wasnt because of the elite guys around him.

dude will be asking me if i want fries with that sometime soon.

GTFO milliner

DMaynard13 and TNJet like this.
  3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

4. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

I'll trust them a lot more when Geno gets his pink slip.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

About the cb situation absolutely there should've been more research done. Every year you'll see CBS drafted in the later rounds that produce. Idzik absolutely did not put much thought into that decision.

Burris, good assessment for sure, I am looking forward to him developing. I hope he learns as much as he can from Revis, they have similar playing styles. Very physical, can tackle, and locates the ball. Revis might be one of the best tackling CBS of all time, I hope Burris learns a lot from him and becomes the heir apparent when Revis moves to safety.

Mac has done a great job scouting, but I hope he does better finding offensive lineman that can stick and actually play. I know he's gambling on these late round players but he's playing a very dangerous game if you can't protect the qb.

Red Menace and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

The injuries to Dee Milliner were frustrating to say the least & it's disheartening just knowing that our 9th overall pick out of Alabama could never stay healthy enough in order to eveaulate his true potential/ability.

Revis.
    Williams.
    Skrine.
    Burris.
    McDougle.

Appear as our top 5 CB' s.

I have no hope for McDougle staying healthy therefore it's crucial that a 4th round rookie in Burris steps up and contributes unlike the likes of Milliner & McDougle.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yes he is. I believe Maccagnan's philosophy has always been to build the offensive line through the later rounds of the draft, however we've tried that strategy with this franchise over the past decade and it hasn't worked out. I'm hoping that we invest heavily in the draft next year along the offensive line and with the young receivers emerging, and the defense solidified, I believe that'll be the case, along with possibly a running back. McCaffrey or Fournette would be so god damn awesome for this offense but we'd have to make a move up to get either one of them.

The draft unfortunately doesn't seem to be very rich in offensive tackles, although Cam Robinson from Alabama looks like he's going to be a complete stud. Big, physical road grader but he may translate better to be a right tackle in the pro's. Roderick Johnson of FSU and Avery Gennessy of A&M have good ratings as well but those spread offense tackles have a bad track record (Greg Robinson, Luke Joeckel, both relative busts at #2 overall). Not good run blockers and too used to be being in a two point stance are bad combinations for NFL tackles.

Either way, we should be in the market for both tackle spots next year, even if we can pull a couple healthy years out of Clady.

101GangGreen101 and Red Menace like this.
  8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/26/dee-milliner-im-the-best-cornerback-in-the-nfl/

Milliner, the second-year cornerback for the Jets, says he’s the best cornerback in the NFL.

The best corner in the league? Me,” Milliner told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “I ain’t gonna say that somebody else is better than me.”

Milliner says he’ll never accept anyone being better than him.

“I’m not going to say somebody that plays the same position is better than me,” Milliner said. “Don’t care if they’ve been in the league 10 years and I’ve been here five months. That’s how it’s going to go. I’m the best. I’m not going to say that another man that plays the same position . . . and say he’s better than me? I can’t do that.”

iJet, ajax and TNJet like this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head, the draft is not full of good OL past the top ten.

Honestly I believe he should probably drop that strategy and sign a FA to fill in the OL and look to add special team players with the later rounds of the draft.

He does not need an All Pro at the guard position just a solid veteran.

Maybe that's why they won't get rid of Breno, while he is overpaid, the benefit of keeping him is more beneficial to the team than the cap savings, for now.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Conor McDermott from UCLA, when you see Brad Rosen the qb. Tough outing today protecting Rosen though. I like lineman that can move their feet, he might be one of the best doing that in college.

McCafferty is a savage, though you think he's a 3 down back at the next level

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You're so right....if we had taken Eifert, this same poster would be like: "Eifert's hurt again....I KNEW we shoulda grabbed Dee Millner. I was screaming at my TV to take Dee"

12. Ghost50

Ghost50 Well-Known Member

he fleeced us for 12 mill and will fleece another team, doubtful he will be flipping burgers

13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

He can still find a place in the NFL, but I doubt he will ever start somewhere other than the worst of secondary situations. He never even looked that good when healthy. What I don't get is that the FO understood that there was no point in keeping a guy that they were very unlikely to keep next year anyway, but decided to hang onto Geno.

14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Thank you!
    Obviously Milliner didn't work out, but some posters here try and make it sound like he was some sort of extreme reach.
    He was touted and ranked as one of the best players (top 5-10) in the draft on many boards.
    It wasn't a Stephen Hill or Vlad Ducasse type of draft pick.

The truth is you need to hit on your first rounders to be successful, but there is still a fairly high percentage that don't really reach their potential and draft status throughout the NFL, not just the Jets.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

They must have liked what they saw in practice before he got hurt.

16. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Fail on Wheels managed to have a nice little carrer being the definition of mediocre. Maybe, one of the other NY teams will claim him and waste a roster spot.

17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Dee is still owed over 4 million guaranteed this season.
    He was waived with an injury designation which means if nobody claims him off waivers, he will revert back to the Jets reserved/injured list.
    Not quite 100% gone yet.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. Ghost50

Ghost50 Well-Known Member

herpes

Red Menace likes this.
  19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Finally Millners gone what a waste of a roster spot he would have been

Quinnenthebeast likes this.
  20. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Maybe some other team has a free PUP spot he can take up.

TNJet likes this.