Its Gino time once and for all

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Jun 28, 2016.

1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Gino/Geno reminds me of Champ/Chimp/Chump...:mad::mad::mad:

dawinner127 and FlaJet like this.
  2. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Although I would like to see Fitz back for one more year, I don't want to see him back for 3 more years. If it is 3 years or nothing with Fitz, go with Geno and hope he's got shit figured out.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Ehhh, what talent did Geno have? Aware me cuz I am unaware... And don't say Decker cuz he was getting quadrople teamed cuz he was all we had in 2014.

4. Jay Bizniss

Fitz has to wind up to get that ball past 30 yards.... Geno flick of da wrist.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

All good points.

I've got to think that the game has slowed down a bit by now for GeNo.

He's got above average athleticism for a QB.

If he makes better decisions on the field... when things go to shit.

That may be asking too much.

6. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Come on JB, the kid wasn't good, but 3 more years of RF is not appealing either.

7. Jay Bizniss

I agree he made some dumb decisions, but we must take into account the situation around him... He had one of the worst OC's in recent memory (Morningshit), whose offense was very difficult to learn... He was throwing to a patchwork core of receivers at best.. He was not ready to start but unfortunately got thrown in there due to Rex being an asshole getting Sanchez hurt..

I say all this to say that there is no more excuses for Geno.. He has Marshall, Decker, Forte, Amaro (once he learns how to catch), and an OC in Gailey who runs a simple offense which Geno can excel in AND a Top 5 defense... There is no excuse for him to not do well... If by Week 4 he is still shitting the bed, I will never mention another thing about Geno again on this board...

I believe.. I need you to as well.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  8. Jay Bizniss

9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

The other day I was thinking about Geno's biggest flaws and whether or not they might be fixed after two years on the bench. One that obviously came up first was his tendency to run backwards away from the rush. Then I started to think about Russell Wilson and how he does this all the time and makes defenses look stupid. In fact, he's so good at it that a couple teams last year had their pass rushers attack 2-3 yards behind him in the pocket so he was forced to step up instead of turning back.

What do the two quarterbacks do differently that makes it so catastrophic when Geno runs backward but a stroke of brilliance when Wilson does it? Does he scramble out of it more often? Throw the ball away? Is he better at finding targets downfield while on the run? Maybe it just comes down to better awareness of who's around him. Anyway, I just thought it was so weird that the same trait is such a major flaw for one guy while being a signature aspect of another. But obviously Russell is the exception rather than the rule on this.

PabloJa and Footballgod214 like this.
  10. Jay Bizniss

The difference is that whilst Wilson is running back, his eyes are scanning downfield looking for his next option...

Geno goes into Defcon 7 mode, and instantly forgets he is playing football.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping that Woody learned a lot from Casserly and Wolfe. I'm hoping that he asked them about more than just GM recommendations, and they told him to quit worrying about the effing media and fans. I'm hoping that they told him to hire a competent, professional GM, then step back and allow him to call the shots/run the show. He may not have learned a damn thing, but I'm hoping he did. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL

12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Russell Wilson's ball fake as he's dodging a defender is legendary--opens up 5 clear yards of running lanes every time. It's a serious weapon. He's a very opportunistic runner.

He's also a LOT more accurate than Geno.

Plus Wilson is the unquestioned leader of that team--has been since the day he stepped in the building.

Geno not so much.

_

13. NCJetsfan

The bolded parts are not accurate. When he was starting in 2013-2014, what talent did he have? He had one WR in Decker. He had a dumbass for an OC and a dumbass for a HC, and for all I know a dumbass for a QB position coach. The system didn't suit his abilities, and he wasn't ready to play mentally. He wasn't given a chance to beat out Fitz last season, but even if he had been, he probably would have failed because he hadn't matured mentally and changed his attitude or approach to things.

Supposedly, he is a different player, a different person this offseason. He might still fail, but he might not. For the first time in his career, he's approaching the game and his job in a professional, mature fashion. He has a quality OC, QB coach and HC who have some common sense and intelligence. He has a lot of offensive talent to work with. I want him to get a shot. If he fails in this situation, we'd know for certain and could move on. If he succeeds, our problems at QB are over for a while. We really gain nothing by starting Fitz. If Geno doesn't get an opportunity this season, then the Jets probably won't re-sign him, and then the Jets will be looking for both a starting QB and a backup next season.

westiedog1 and LIJetsFan like this.
  14. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Wth Gino I have seen the light...
    [​IMG]

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Exactly. If his head is finally screwed on right, and he can get the ball out quickly, then he offers a LOT more to the offense than Fitz. The two things that Fitz offers to the offense are that he makes quick decisions and the ball gets out quickly, and he thoroughly knows the offense. If Geno knows the offense, that gap is narrowed. If he is more confident and poised, and has truly improved in reading Ds, the gap between the two is narrowed further. He's as good a runner as Fitz, and less reckless. He has a far better (stronger and more accurate) arm than Fitz, and would prevent opposing Ds from crowding 8 in the box.

#35 NCJetsfan, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    LIJetsFan likes this.
  16. JStokes

I love how dudes who have no idea what's going on in Geno's head are proclaiming how much of a different person he is now.

_

Altoona and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. JStokes

And Geno is NOT a better runner than Fitz. It may appear that he should be but he's not. All his athleticism goes out the door with his brain. He may rip off a longer run here and there but Fitz is always looking downfield and more often than not scrambles for first downs and extends drives. Gene runs backwards and takes 20 yard sacks.

Stop with the nonsense--Geno is not a good runner.

_

Altoona, NYJetsO12 and IDFjet like this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Alex Smith was a scrub and now he's actually kind of decent with weapons around him. I think he's extremely overrated but he's become more effective. Geno Smith needs to watch how Alex plays the game now and incorporate it in his game. It is asking for a lot, but I've seen crazier things happen. Gailey definitely sees something in Geno that none of us truly see. His system is the best offensive system, I've seen the Jets run maybe ever. If he believes in Smith, then let's see what he's got.

Their careers are somewhat similar going into year 4.

LIJetsFan, FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I agree 100%. Supposedly, he has improved in reading Ds and knows the offense now. Supposedly, he is more confident, poised and in command, his work ethic is better and he's approaching his job in a professional manner. This gives me hope and encouragement that he can make quicker, better decisions and get the ball out quickly. I don't know about his ball handling/fakes, but I think the poor screen passes were a matter of lack of poise and confidence, and panicking/rushing. Talent-wise, he can definitely do some damage in this offense and offers better accuracy and the prospect of a downfield passing attack, which we don't have to the extent with Fitz that we could with Geno. I think it's possible that a year from now we could be discussing how lucky the Jets were that Fitz didn't re-sign and we were forced to go with Geno. Of course, that could all be a pipe dream, but I'm rooting for Geno. As you said, we know what Fitz has to offer, and it's time to move on.

nycarl, LIJetsFan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  20. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Just to add Geno had literally zero chance his first year. He came from a spread offense in college and had zero experience under center. He was supposed to sit and learn but Sanchez got hurt and Geno was thrown in the fire of an extremely complicated offense completely different from anything he ever did and the NY media expected him to succeed. It didn't get any easier the second year as I doubt he knew the complexities of the offense yet and was asked to make plays with literally nothing at the skill positions except Decker. He STILL showed flashes.

Things are much different now and he has a much better opportunity. Hes playing in a spread offense, which he's used to, and he has some of the best talent in the league at his disposal. He actually has a chance, and with a year to sit and learn and a complete offseason to run with the firsts he really could succeed. Whether hes better than Fitz is probably unlikely.

However with Fitz holding out I still believe we should set a deadline proclaiming if Fitz isn't signed with the team by lets say the start of training camp Geno is the starter. Hopefully this will force Fitz to make a move prior to that time otherwise lets see what Geno can do.

Jay Bizniss likes this.