Jets Roster for 2016/2017 Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Will, May 1, 2016.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Regardless, I'd imagine we'd rather have Williams-Richard-Wilk-Mauldin along the line on obvious pass situations. Maybe they'll give him a couple opportunities to rush the passer, but they tried using Snacks a lot more last year and even in Rex's last year and he was a complete waste of space on passing downs. McLendon has 2 sacks in 31 starts over the past three years. I'd imagine he doesn't see too many pass rushing opportunities next year.

Comparatively speaking, Harrison has 1.5 sacks in 48 career starts. A much better percentage for McLendon, but still not enough for me to see him getting a lot of pass rushing opportunities.

2. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Re the OLB's Cimini stated that the team's competition at outside linebacker "wide open."

Lorenzo Mauldin is guaranteed one of the starting spots, but the other is up for grabs. Cimini said the team is casting a net as wide as the "Lincoln Tunnel." Obviously OTAs have brought little clarity to the situation. Deion Barnes, Freddie Bishop, Jordan Jenkins and Josh Martin are all competing for a role.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page...tlanta-falcons-andre-williams-new-york-giants

Some interesting veterans on this in particular right tackles Zach Strief and Phil Loadholt, as well as a couple guards in the NFC East. I'd hope we are all over one of them if they get cut. That's why we ideally need to figure out this Fitzpatrick situation by mid-July so we can make the appropriate roster adjustments to sign one of these dudes.

I know there's a reason they get cut, but Loadholt/Strief have to be an upgrade over Breno especially at $5 million due this year.

I wonder if Mac has restructures in mind. My understanding is that restructuring a player keeps their guaranteed money on the books for longer by spreading it out and converting it into bonus. Why don't we look to do this with one or multiple of the following; Skrine, James Carpenter, Marcus Gilchrist, Decker, maybe one or two I'm missing. They're all players one would expect to finish out the duration of their contracts with us, and while we don't want to destroy our cap space completely for the future, but we could certainly look to gain for this season if someone worthwhile becomes available.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We already restructured Carpenter. If we re-sign Fitz and nothing happens with Mo, we will cut Breno and restructure Skrine or restructure both Skrine and Decker.

5. stevejets38

stevejets38 Active Member

they were saying on jets nation that amaro isn't gonna have much of an impact this year for us cuz of his weak blocking skills so he wont be on the field that much, I'm calling bullshit , if he stays healthy they are gonna use the tight end a lot more than last year--that goes without saying--he's gonna have at least 3 or 4 catches a game and sometimes more depending on the defense's coverage, marshall, decker, enunwa, amaro , forte/ powell, anybody else that adds production is a bonus, might get complaints that players aren't getting enough receptions, team has really changed and is loaded on offense now, even more so than last year

Walt White likes this.
  6. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Interesting to see the reports on OTAs by Jetswire and others - several rookies seem to have brought their "A game" and will push for spots in the Starting Eleven (need to be earned in TC not OTAs)

7. Will

Will Well-Known Member

More reports on OTAs / mandatory veteran mini camp by Jets Wire

We have two players in on trial - Linebacker Victor Butler (drafted by the Cowboys and looked to have a bright future as a pass rushing OLBuntil he tore his ACL after signing with the Saints https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Butler and wideout Kyle Williams (had multiple fumbles when the 49ers lost to the Giants in the NFC Championship game in 2011) both took part in practice on a tryout basis for the second-straight day. Hughes figures the Jets give the two until the end of the week before they make a decision on either letting them go, or signing them - I give Butler the edge as we have a few WRs with minor injuries preventing them from practicing.

Tuesday June 14
    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/14/jets-minicamp-report-tuesdays-highlights-observations-notes/
    Three Up
    1. OLB Jordan Jenkins who is getting a lot of 1st team reps and making plays taking advantage of the opportunity
    2. CB Dee Milliner - continues to have a strong camp
    3. OLB Lorenzo Mauldin, flashing and looking to be nailing down a starting role

Wednesday June 15
    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/0...ort-wednesdays-highlights-observations-notes/
    Three Up
    Very hard to limit to three as multiple players stood out based on the report
    1. Undrafted free-agent wideout Jalin Marshall's showing great speed, versatility as a returner and looks at home in the slot - getting reps ahead of others, Peake & Jeremy Ross.
    2. Tryout linebacker Victor Butler had a nice day today, and was impressive yesterday as well. Effective coming off the edge and might be a guy that ends up getting a deal once minicamp ends.
    3. Will give this to Geno

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/06/watch_jets_qbs_throw_in_mini_camp_marshall_rates_t.html

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Eugene Monroe at RT?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Will for the report.

10. Will

Will Well-Known Member

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/0...port-thursdays-highlights-observations-notes/

Hughes has Edwards ahead in the punting battle - There is a noticeable difference in leg strength with Edwards as the majority of his kicks have incredibly impressive hangtime coupled with excellent accuracy. So glad to have the competition at this spot without Quigley!!

Hack played better and his accuracy improved, Brent Qvale is running with the 1's @ RT - Breno was excused

11. stevejets38

stevejets38 Active Member

so much for quenton bundrage, waived, signed kyle williams

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Outside Linebackers coach Mark Collins had good things to say about Deion Barnes.
    "I would say, in a years time, he's probably the most improved young player we have out here, any position."

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  13. Will

Will Well-Known Member

14. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

I'd bring Jake Long in for a tryout. He's deemed himself fully healthy again and while he'll never be the player he used to be it'd be nice to have a backup with actual NFL experience at vets minimum.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Breno excused huh? Uncle Joey Giacomini must be in town and needed help on a "job."

16. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Hughes @ Jets Wire lists his predictions for the 53 Man Roster

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/25/jets-53-man-roster-prediction-who-makes-final-cut/

Quarterbacks (3) : Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, Christian Hackenberg

Running Backs (4) : Matt Forte, Khiry Robinson, Bilal Powell, Tommy Bohanon [FB]

Receivers (7) : Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Quincy Enunwa, Devin Smith, Kenbrell Thompkins, Charone Peake, Jalin Marshall

Tight Ends (3) : Jace Amaro, Kellen Davis, Zach Sudfeld

Offensive Linemen (9) : Ryan Clady, James Carpenter, Nick Mangold, Brian Winters, Breno Giacomini, Brent Qvale, Dakota Dozier, Ben Ijalana, Brandon Shell

Defensive Linemen (6) : Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, Leonard Williams, Jarvis Jenkins, Steve McLendon, Deon Simon

Outside Linebackers (4) : Lorenzo Mauldin, Jordan Jenkins, Freddie Bishop, Deion Barnes

Inside Linebackers (4) : David Harris, Erin Henderson, Darron Lee, Bruce Carter

Cornerbacks (7) : Darrelle Revis, Marcus Williams, Buster Skrine, Dee Milliner, Dexter McDougle, Darryl Morris, Juston Burris

Safeties (3) : Marcus Gilchrist, Calvin Pryor, Rontez Miles

Special Teams (3) - Kicker: Nick Folk - Punter: Lac Edwards - Long Snapper: Tanner Purdum

Practice Squad Possibilities with 9 out of 10 identified: QBs - Bryce Petty / RBs - Dominique Williams, Romar Morris / WRs - Robby Anderson / TEs - Was Saxton / OL - Jarvis Harrison / DL - Claude Pelon / ILB - Taiwan Jones / S - Doug Middleton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main issues for me are the 7 WRs being kept as I feel 6 is the max, same with CBs and in that case a safety (Dion Bailey or Ronald Martin who were both picked up by this FO) and one other position based on Camp gets place 53 and for me Trevor Reilly or Mike Catapano have the edge for that place - although team could go outside those currently on the roster if a quality RT comes available.

#96 Will, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  17. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Was a very good player at Penn State, BTQ

BacktoQueens likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree with all your points, Will. The only thing I would add is that I think that Tommy Bohannon would be a wasted roster spot, and I think he has to go.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Agreed. 7 corners/receivers is too much and this draft doesn't seem to account at all for special teams when they made the selections. None of those backup linebackers are youthful special teamers, even the young outside linebackers. You need gamers dying for a spot on an NFL roster to fill that role.

If they think so much of Burris/Morris, then they need to cut McDougle and/or Milliner and stop trying to salvage their careers for them. I understand cutting Milliner leaves us with a big hit so that might not he an option.

3 safeties seems like a recipe for disaster if one gets hurt for even a game. See Marcus Williams at safety vs. the Raiders last year.

20. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Other comments I have seen

Jets OLB Trevor Reilly is on the roster bubble. Reilly has been a useful special teams player for the Jets and has also contributed as a backup linebacker. However, the arrival of Jordan Jenkins and Freddie Bishop has put him firmly on the roster bubble. Reilly will need a stellar camp to preserve his roster spot.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/06/6_notable_jets_who_are_roster_bubble_after_spring.html#3

Also list Bohanan / Petty / Folk / Stacy and Miles as on the bubble

Second-year DE Leonard Williams says he feels more comfortable than he did last season. Williams had a terrific rookie year by all accounts but the 22-year-old still sees room for improvement, particularly as a pass-rusher. "I know the playbook now, so I don’t have to think as much when I’m out there, I can just play," said Williams. "I think I did really well in the running game last year, so during the offseason I’ve been working on my pass rushing." Defensive line coach Pepper Johnson has also seen a change in Williams this offseason. "He came in with a maturity, a professionalism," said Johnson. "But he just has taken it to another level." All signs point to a breakout season for the former No. 6 overall pick.

http://nypost.com/2016/06/25/leonard-williams-hype-builds-jet-has-taken-it-to-another-level/

Jets LBs coach Mike Caldwell has been "pleasantly surprised" by first-round ILB Darron Lee's "professionalism." "He comes into meetings and he's hungry to learn," Caldwell said of the No. 20 overall pick. "Sometimes you see rookies that think they know it all. He's eager to learn and he's soaking it all up and the older guys are helping him." Lee should be an immediate contributor in sub-packages, and could quickly push for an every-down role.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/20...ut_darron_lees_lack_o.html#incart_river_index

NCJetsfan likes this.