Welcome to the Jets Christian Hackenberg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The 1985er, Apr 29, 2016.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

His recruiting classes have all been top 25 nationally consensus wide. He also brought in several 4 star WR's and OL in the last few recruiting cycles so the guy can clearly recruit.

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

best post in this entire thread.

if he cant then we have wasted yet another 2nd round pick. he has plenty of company.

3. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

thats been my point throughout. i was simply showing that i understood the other sides points.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Well for one all QB's will miss some percentage of easy throws. I guess your point is that he misses too many easy throws.

The more important point though, is simply that if his natural mechanics have been screwed with by a shitty coach that could certainly cause him to miss more easy throws than he would have had his mechanics never been compromised. That seems to be the argument many are making, isn't it?

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I understand that's the point they were making and while every QB misses an easy throw or two, the truly gifted --what I like to call natural throwers-- rarely if ever miss those. Guys who wake up out of bed and throw laser beams--off front foots, back foot, sidearm, whatever.

MY point was that there is only so much screwing up a coach and a system and a awful line and all the other excuses getting thrown out there can do--and I'm sure you watched him a lot in college--but he was really pretty bad. Some of that is just HIM.

Again, I'm on board with the pic and if he is fixable--we might be set for 15 years. My honest question is whether he is fixable or is this just what he is--a big, big armed, potentially prototypical NFL QB that is inaccurate.

_

6. JStokes

And I understand the other side too. I didn't like the pic because of what I saw in college. But he does have the size and arm to excel. I just don't think he's going to wake up one day and start hitting on 65% of his passes in the NFL the way he is currently constituted. If there is a mechnical issue or 2 or even 3 and they can be fixed--watch out. Maybe we got ourselves a Big Ben.

_

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Well that is the million dollar question, isn't it? Probably more like a 20 million dollar question.

Both sides have good arguments but people claiming they know for sure one way or another are clearly full of shit. Surely he's not there in the 2nd round if there weren't questions.

8. JStokes

I agree and he probably doesn't last till the third round with his potential. That's what I've been saying all along--he was drafted because of his potential--not because of his talent--if that makes any sense.

_

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Are we arguing about missing easy throws in games or in last weeks minicamp? If we're talking about games I understand some of the points being made but last week's mini camp means nothing. Dude is throwing to people he's never even seen before, let alone know their speed, range, etc, without any practice together... and most of them won't even be on an NFL roster anyway, obviously there will be some timing issues.

Hack misses in games on the crap WR screens, the short bubble passes and the occasional slant. He hits NFL throws though like the 20 yard post corner across the field. Throws like that are natural talent. That's why he was drafted. The short passes I mention might always be an issue in his career but there are QBs like that in this league: Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco, to name a few

10. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Quite, in fact given our record in the second round, we're as well to trade each and every one. Is it right that a second this year is worth a first next year? If so, trade the bugger every year!

alleycat9 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

OK, so he just failed his first two years at PSU, but I guess it might have been too late his 1st year, and that's more on O'Brien.

Thanks.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Until I see him play in the preseason I really have nothing to say about him good or bad.I just think we need Fitzpatrick right now with the line up and OC we have to be able to get to the playoffs next year

13. As an avid Big 10 watcher(MSU Fan) I can honestly say that PSU has long had issues w/ pass protection..even long before Hackenburg. I won't deny they've had a few perceived studs come through (Levi Brown/Kareem Mckenzie) & they seem to land good recruits along the line.But for whatever reason they never seem to have great cohesion, they tend to look stiff in their movements & very lethargic in their blitz pick-ups. When I watched PSU w/ Hack...I flat out had a difficult time really coming to any conclusions beyond reverting back to the piss poor play calling & the putrid OL.

I do love the way he stands tall in the pocket, the spring & power in his backpedal/hitch,his toughness to sustain all those hits & his release which I'm on record stating is exceptionally rare on a Marino/Favre/Namath level.

To me the accuracy issue & the footwork saga are one & the same. If you aren't comfortable w/ A.The scheme B.The technique C. Your line(For better or worse) your Footwork is drastically gonna suffer. You aren't gonna make the proper reads or throw w/ any conviction if your eyes are drifting, your strides are choppy & your off balance. There seems to be tangible evidence to rationalize all of this based on John Gruden's assessment & the politically correct explanation Hack provided.

The other red flags associated w/ poor accuracy include lack of touch,improper release,late decision making, & erratic arch points. I don't see any consistent evidence of any of that.Seems pretty simple with this guy: Clean up the footwork(which could be simple based on what we know) & you'll clean up the accuracy.

As others have eluded to,This isn't Joe Montana or Tom Shady.If you're expecting a quick read & release west coast style system..yeah Hack is likely gonna disappoint you. His strength is driving the ball down the seams & the flanks deep. You most certainly can build a very successful offense around that style of QB. Yes he'll need to have some safety valve/checkdown options...and a good running game will be essential to keep safeties from leaning back right off the snap..but there are many different types of routes/throws that can be utilized as short/intermediate check downs for Hack to work through to find what will work best for him in those situations. Gailey is a creative guy especially w/ getting the most yield from his QBs.He'll find what works.

I really like this kid as a prospect both talent wise & intangibles. If his college game tape is even 10% better he's easily a 1st rounder.I'm willing to accept that 10% comparatively speaking if it means us finding the long term answer outside of a premium day 1 pick as well as salary.

Tell these analytic nerds just crunching synthetic numbers to take a hike.

Freddy Mondo, FJF, themorey and 3 others like this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I think there could be a lot of players on Jets who cant believe Hack with all his problems was a sec round pick

On NFL network Today Decker was on saying once again he was surprised at the pick because a lot riding on him and "a lot is expected"

Petty is my dark horse in the post Fitz era imo

15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

screens, bubble passes, and slants ARE nfl throws, and a big part of offenses, including ours. that short quick slant is one of our most often run routes. he needs to hit all the throws, not just a 20 yard post or corner or cross. with our line we may not even have the luxury of throwing those deeper routes.

16. JStokes

I quess it's too much to ask for a QB that can make every throw.

_

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

there arguably isn't a single QB alive that hits all throws without issue but if there was one coming out of college everyone would be climbing over themselves to draft him #1 overall, not #51 overall like Hackenberg. No shit he needs to improve some of his game, like every other 2nd round rookie in this world

hwismer and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I don't think Mark Sanchez can reliably throw a screen after 6 seasons as an NFL quarterback.

jetlag1969, FJF, Jets81 and 4 others like this.
  19. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i dont get your point...

we are saying he needs to be able to make those throws, needs to be able to complete a high percentage of passes.

him being a second round pick doesnt matter much. either he can fix those things or he cant.

lockgang likes this.
  20. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I don't care how great/good you are as a recruiter if you're ban from bowl games it hard to get quality players.