Decision time for Jets, which player will benefit us more?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, May 6, 2016.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If there is no trade market for Mo now we have to hope our new defensive players make him look even better so we can trade him during the season before the deadline.

From what I have read the Jets have already offered Fitz around $10 mil per year which is more than he is worth and he has snubbed them. At this point I would rescind the offer and be prepared to move on. It is more important to deal from a position of strength and preserve the cap than it is to beg Fitz to come back. He is not the future and we have lots of other problems aside from the QB of the short term / present.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  2. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Fitz holding out is cancer. He needs to put up or shut up. As he needs to realize it affects the whole team indeed.

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

So we would only ask Geno to "not lose"?

Worked for Sanchez in 08/09 and even better for Manning last year so I'm ok with that.

No way in hell the Jets end up worse than 9-7 next year.

I got money to burn and will take all bets.

Ps. What did we ask fitz to do last year? I'll have to go back but I don't remember any amazing play that is attributed to him or an amazing comeback either.

4. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Sanchez in 2009 had an elite defense. Same with Denver last year.

Our defense will be good but its not going to be as good as Denver, Seattle, Arizona, Carolina.

If Geno starts the season and only Petty and Hack are our only other QB's there is no way in the world I could see us winning more than 6 games. So if you're putting the O/U at 9 , I would take that bet all day.

Fitz wasnt asked to do a ton but he was asked to be better than what we had at QB the previous 4 seasons , and he delivered. Wasnt great , but was a hell of a lot better than anything we've seen laltly. And now fans think anyone can come in and do that?

Plenty of QB's had Brandon Marshall in their careers and none of em have given him the season that he had last year.

5. KingRoach

Paragraph 1: yes we agree

Paragraph 2: disagree strongly

Paragraph 3: irl or in theory?

Paragraph 4: lol some pretty low expectations!

Paragraph 5: seasons are like snowflakes no two are alike. He got more yards in 2012 (barely) but he's always been a stud.

6. irishwhip03

If Geno is our starter I would def place that bet with you before Week 1. I hate to place a bet against the Jets but it would be beyond my wildest dreams that Geno would even finish the season nevermind actually be productive enough to lead us to a 9-7 year.

7. KingRoach

Sweet. We can talk some more about it as the season gets closer and see if we can figure out a way to do it.

The jets top half of the schedule is definitely tougher than the second half so I imagine that I'll get even better odds come week 3.

8. irishwhip03

Sounds good I'm all for it.

themorey likes this.
  9. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

So we are going to keep a guy coming off of a broken leg for a one year deal making $15 million, and yet we don't draft who could be the steal of the draft in Myles Jack because of injuries. Should have drafted Lynch, Treadwell or an OL. There really is not a penalty for drafting offense in the first rd.

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We do not need a hall of fame QB to throw screens to Matt Forte or to hit the likes of Marshall, Decker, etc. if they are wide open. Just move the chains, hit the occasional deep pass, and avoid turnovers our defense will do the rest.

I will not vouch for Geno Smith on avoiding turnovers but I think Petty can do that much.

11. irishwhip03

Agreed. But we also won't be getting anything close to a HOF QB no matter who is starting for us Week 1.

Only thing I'm saying is Fitz has proven he can make those throws. Geno hasn't. Petty hasn't. (Won't even mention Hackenberg because there's a better chance we trade for a QB then for him to be starting for us in Week 1)

Our offense has a chance to be as good or better than it was last year with Forte and also maybe a legit TE with Amaro.

And to let that ride on the arm (and mind) of Geno would be a foolish thing for the franchise to do. IMO he is the only other realistic option if Fitz doesn't resign. Petty could be good but it seems like the staff has already soured on him for whatever reason. Really weird stuff would have to happen for him to be starting for us Week 1.

12. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

If we add Fitz and get rid of Mo we are getting rid of an all pro defensive lineman which has to factor in there

We aren't going anywhere unless our defense is dominant anyway and without Mo it will not be....it will be good but not dominant

Best choice is clearly going with a 3 man QB battle between the young guns.....Fitz is not important enough to gut our roster for now or the future

If we could pay Fitz like 8-10 mill without any issues then fine but it doesn't seem to be the case right now

LIJetsFan and almbleamal like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

A broken leg doesn't affect the player after it heals. Whereas Jack's knee problem might be a career ender.

Leicester Jet and KingRoach like this.
  14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

But they could tag him one more time, no?

15. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Geno Smith is a horrible leader and pathetic NFL QB. If we have to start him game 1, the season is already over before it starts and either Petty of Hackenberg will be starting after the by-week if not sooner.

TNJet likes this.
  16. KingRoach

Stuff like this just makes you sound like you don't know what you're talking about. If Geno is as bad as you hope he is there is no way he lasts the 10 weeks before our by week.

Btw. I will give you the opportunity to put your money where your mouth is. Everyone likes free money. The Jets will have a shit year but at least you can make an easy couple hundred bucks, sounds good, huh?

17. KingRoach

Next tag would cost like $18 m and a third would be like $24m

18. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Aaah. Thanks

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

While the idea in this post is correct I think U R forgetting up to this point Wilk is untradeable. Now maybe that is because we are asking way to much for him because we have totally overevulated him or the other 31 teams in the league do not have the same opinion of him that we do :mad:

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Mo having 100 tackles and 15 sacks would help this team more then Fitz would.See:Von Miller and the Denver Geno level QB play that won them a Superbowl.Getting rid of Wilkerson for Fitzpatrick would be the worse decision this franchise has ever made.I think we are better with him but your talking about a guy who is going on his 13th season and hasn't seen a playoff game

almbleamal, FJF and Freddy Mondo like this.