Jets select punter Lachlan Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PabloJa, Apr 30, 2016.

1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

2. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

kicking style adopted from Aussie Rules, his trend to run to his right and let go of a drop punt will really confuse the opposition, a very un predictiable flight and bounce

3. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for our franchise punter for years!!!! yesssss!!!!!

TNJet, Catfish Billy, PabloJa and 2 others like this.
  4. matt robinson 17

Deadly at dropping the ball at the opposition 1 yard line

5. matt robinson 17

ABTRQ- anyone's better than Ryan Quigley

6. matt robinson 17

Wondering why they drafted Edwards and not Hackett, Edwards is better in their eyes?

7. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

my favorite pick of the entire draft

quigley can STFU and GTFO

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

This guy could turn into ray guy but I just cannot get on board drafting a punter/kicker...... especially in a 7 round draft....

Didn't the bucs draft a kicker in round 2? That's insane and the GM should be fired the day after.

Like these teams have enough depth to do that

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Hes already gone

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

10. matt robinson 17

Aguayo was great at fsu but could have been had I the 7th round

11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Seriously, whos so good that we need to not draft a punter or kicker over in the 7th round?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

12. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine's son is Kyle Christy, punter for Florida last few years. Didn't get drafted last year but continued to work out. I kept telling him to have his agent call the Jets because Quigley was horrible...well, he was just signed by Detroit. I was hoping he'd become a Jet.

Let's see what this Shrimp on the Barbie guy can do...

13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I vehemently disagree with this, in both principle and practice. I'm always amazed at how many people undervalue the importance of good kicking and punting in football. It's called football for a reason. The leading scorer every year for every NFL team is . . . a kicker. And, together, the kicker, punter, and coverage units determine field position, which is, one of the most fundamental (and unique) aspects of football. How many close games come down to a missed kick? It's funny, I continue to believe that one of the biggest plays of last season was the shanked Quigley punt in Buffalo. Before that play occurred, the Bills hadn't moved the ball a lick, and after that play, they stuck it right in the endzone on the Tyrod Taylor scramble. Special teams plays, besides being of fundamental importance to football by shaping field position, also serve to provide huge momentum swings that greatly impact actual games.

Having a punter who can boom is a significant advantage and is absolutely worth a 7th round draft pick, especially for a team that wants to rely on good defense.

(And btw, if the kicker is good enough, I don't have an issue with what the Bucs did , either)

#53 slimjasi, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    egelband, Mogriffjr, TNJet and 4 others like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While I would never use anything above a 5th round pick on one, a punter or kicker can have a MUCH greater impact on a team's play and W-L record than a STs or depth/developmental player. This is even more true for a team like the Jets where field position is so important, and the D is stronger/better than the offense.

egelband and slimjasi like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said saving the last bit in parentheses. I'd never use a pick higher than a 5th on a kicker or punter.

It is curious how many fans just overlook that aspect of the team/game, when it is so fundamentally important, and can, and often does change the momentum and flow of games. Knowing you have a great punter allows an offense to gamble a little more on offense and be more aggressive if one wants to, or one can play more conservatively, trusting in the D to stop the opponent's offense and get the ball back in better field position. As you said many games also come down to a final FG. Have a great kicker with great range and chances are that most often you'll win those close games. Have a mediocre/average kicker, and chances are you'll lose more of those games. Sometimes losing one of those games can totally change the complexion of a season, and can turn a hot team into one that winds up sitting at home when the playoffs start.

egelband, almbleamal and slimjasi like this.
  16. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I hope that we'll finally have a solid punter - I am so sick of watching Ryan Quigley punt 17 yards to his right. Shit was infuriating and it definitely cost us games. I'm sure he's a nice guy and I wish him well, but he's a really lousy punter. I have no idea what the Eagles were thinking when they signed him.

If we have someone who doesn't cost us games, that'll be a big upgrade. When you're a defense oriented team, punting is extra important.

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Who can forget that peice of shit Quigley and the shanked punt in Buffalo that lead to a Buffallo TD.The only time I wanna see a Quigley Jets jersey is if its being burned in a fire.

#57 LongIslandBlitz, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    slimjasi and TNJet like this.
  18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yet folks still blame Fitz.

_

TNJet likes this.
  19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

U folks are entitled to your opinion but I will always subscribe to the idea that u never ever take a kicker or a punter in a 7 round draft......

I take my chances in free agency and roll with it. I understand all the arguments for and against it but I just cannot risk losing out on a potential late round gem by taking a K/P.

Funny thing about the bucs pick of the kicker - herm Edwards was sharing his thoughts about the pick on ESPN. Some irony that is since he did sign off on the jets Nugent pick. Didn't listen to him cause it really doesn't matter what he says.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

do you have any reasoning behind this or is it just some arbitrary rule you have?