Welcome to the Jets Christian Hackenberg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The 1985er, Apr 29, 2016.

1. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Be careful. People might start thinking you actually root for Jets

Billsfan1212 likes this.
  2. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

Im honestly kinda suprised this isnt the general thought here. Hes yours know and i think its easy to find things to be excited about. As previously mentioned, the unteachable aspects in his game are wonderful. Get him to keep his feet moving like he does when he is under center and itll help improve his accuracy too. Not being pulled down or hit while throwing will help the comp%. I wish the Bills had a brain and an arm of that caliber in a qb. It seems most of the time a qb has one but not the other. Potential is there... now you wait and see if it pans out. Id be excited though.. i dont get all the hate. I can see maybe being sad abt the 2nd rd... but hey, if he pans out then its all worth it!!

joe likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

After a night to reflect it occurred to me that maybe the Jets took Christian Hackenberg because Mike Maccagnan and the brass viewed him as the BPA given the position he plays and their belief they can fix what's wrong with him at the moment. In that situation it's not all-or-nothing with Hackenberg. If the Jets can fix him they can fix him and we'll all reap vast rewards from their conviction that they could do so and determination in carrying it through. If they can't, well they took a shot at fixing the bleeding wound on this roster since Chad's second surgery. They're not married to Hackenberg after all. Maybe he was just the best QB value given the available alternatives and the location of the 51 pick. Maybe they saw him as the BPA and just followed Maccaganan's often stated philosophy on BPA.

Drafting a QB every year until we find the guy is the best way to actually find the guy. Eventually we will. If it turns out that he's already on the roster after three project picks then so much the better.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

hmm, you seem to have judged the kid before he has even hit the field

that isn't very christ-like, wouldn't you say?

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

It's science, man!

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yeah after everything I've read, I believe New England would have taken him in the 2nd.

7. Bill Belichdouche

tell that to the guy with the cross as his avatar!

8. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

They did not take him because he was the BPA, for awhile there has been reports Mike Maccagnan had a affinity for Hackenburg. I would rather a GM identify a QB who they believe is the guy then just to pick one because he is sitting there.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

And you know this how? Because of what reports say? You know for a fact that he wasn't the BPA on his board?

No one but the Jets brass knows the reason for the pick and if he was the BPA on his board. Let's just see how it pans out

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

We've been pretty good with three syllable QBs.

Pennington
    Fitzpatrick
    Hackenberg

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Geno or Fitz are starting over Hack. Starting him right off the bat would be a huge mistake considering how battered he was at Penn State. He needs to get his fundamentals and confidence back first.

Now that said, would you rather have Fitz or Geno tutor this kid?

Right. The Jets need to look at compromising higher compensation for Fitz as an investment in Hackenberg. So if the Jets can look at it that way, its easier to swallow giving Fitz more money than what they've offered (if it comes to this).

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How do you know he wasn't the BPA on their board at that pick? The obvious candidates for the Jets all went in the 10 picks before the pick. They had Cody Whitehair, a LG not quite big enough to move to the right and Mackensie Alexander another short CB, of which the Jets have a couple already, as the most obvious choices after the run on Spriggs, Reeds and Martin just before their pick.

Would the Jets have taken Hackenberg if Spriggs or Martin was still on the board? They may just have had the QB they liked the most after the first two at the top of their board on pick 51.

13. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

...O'Brien

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think it will be between Geno and Petty for that backup QB spot. No way do we carry 4 QBs. To be honest, the question is who would you rather keep? Fitz will be back IMO. If not him, then Hoyer.

15. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I just finally looked up Hackenberg's stats. Wow!.....I mean, wow! Based on stats alone, you would think this was a UDFA not a 2nd round pick. I sure hope there is a lot more to the story here because I just don't get what they see in this kid.

For now, I will take comfort in the fact that Mac has a solid scouting resume and certainly has a lot more information than I do to assess this player. However; if this doesn't pan out it will make McCagnan look very, very bad.

16. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Okay I'm on board with your man.

Gailey gets him straight and we have a big strong pocket passer that can flourish in the Northeast.

_

17. Bill Belichdouche

glad to have you on board. with some coaching up, who knows what his ceiling will be

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

My head still hurts from too much tequila.

He has all the physical tools so it's on him and the staff to fix him.

If they do, he could be a long time starter for us.

_

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Joenamath.

Jeti and Catfish Billy like this.