Welcome to the Jets Christian Hackenberg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The 1985er, Apr 29, 2016.

1. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Analyst are wrong a lot. certain names will be hyped up and become popular. but in reality draft valuation is an organic process and changes. Bad teams will latch onto players and draft them cuz they were considered top picks at one point. Good teams will draft less popular players where their true value is, if only out of fear of another good team selecting them.

2. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

When Gm' are right, especially on Quarterbacks they get the Ted Thompson, Ozzie Newsome, Belichick treatment.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I actually do not like Hack either but I understand what the FO sees in him. I would think anyone who is able to take the emotion out of it can see that. Mac and/or Bowles just tied their own noose.

74 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Barry, I hope you know that I like and respect you, but I think you're wrong about this. I was as surprised as anyone, but I think Mac deserves the benefit of the doubt. If he missed, it's not the end of the world, and using a low 2nd round pick on a possible QB of the future is a good risk.

5. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

This ultimately depends on which Hackenberg we're getting.

Freshman year? A 10-15 year franchise QB.

Sophomore & Junior year? A dumpster fire that won't last long in the NFL.

I still maintain that the team just plain sucked around him during his last 2 years there. I'm not saying Hackenberg didn't have a bit to do with it, but overall, he was destined to fail those years.

He's going to be very interesting to watch. I think with Chan Gailey here, and two pro bowl WR's and a pro bowl back in Forte, it's going to be interesting.

That being said, the o-line has to improve.

6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Under siege he was. The team was all fucked too.

A lot of the naysaying is spewing hot shit, fuck 'em

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

But hey, at least we watch the actual games instead of just reading about it in the Monday paper

All Gas No Shake and BigSnacks54 like this.
  8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

+ 10000

_

9. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

That's fine and we all know why he was taken, but the idea that they shouldn't be crticized or at the very least questioned for taking a college passer who can't even crack 55% is insane. The same fans singing Mac's praises will be killing him if Hackenberg doesn't improve.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Then we're a great team because Hackenberg is the least popular pick I've ever seen.

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Haha touche

Hacks popular in the media. Media drives the NFL.

12. NCJetsfan

Petty is not a waste of a pick. That's ridiculous!

13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

It's not that. I mis-read IW's point. I was referring to Hack after his first year. I thought he was arguing for the Geno pick and was using a ranking to make that point. I was mistaken.

My arguments are based on what I see. I don't care about what media analysts say.

I'm not on here using a ranking by some shlepp as an argument for Hack. No way :)

#513 Walt White, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  14. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i will say that i am impressed with hackenberg's football knowledge. i really think it's light years ahead of most college QBs as he had complete control at the LOS, especially his freshman year

it's apparent that he has issues, but these are issues that can be coached up. his footwork was fantastic at times and atrocious at others. he needs to shorten his throwing motion as well, but all these of corrections can be easily made

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But how do you get from not liking him to the franchise QB talk?

16. legler82

I'm just engaging in conversation. I've never once attacked or insulted anyone who hates or said anything negative about the pick. Note this is the complete opposite response I got when I expressed my concerns about our Day 1 pick. Lastly, I, unlike the many of the Johnny Come Latelys, have been questioning some of Mac's decisions from day 1, and I'm not talking about Day 1 of this year's draft. I treat all GMs at face value; I do believe in honeymoon periods.

#516 legler82, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How much value has that pick produced to date?

18. legler82

Because the talent is there; it's undeniable. The scouts and TV analysts aren't making the shit up because they think he's cute.

19. NCJetsfan

Couldn't it be that they see Hack as less of a project than Petty? After all, Hack has played in a pro style offense. He has run a huddle, has made adjustments at the line, is said to be very smart and can read Ds. He has some football issues to straighten out, has to learn the offense, adjust to the speed of the NFL, and get two years of being pounded out of his mind. He has a strong arm and can make all the throws. It could be that they think Hack could be ready at some point this season, but it might take Petty another year.

It could be that he's just trying to improve the Jets chances of having a good young starting QB within a year or two. Petty and Hack should push each other and help each other develop and improve.

PulseJet likes this.
  20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Wildcard pick, but we need a long term QB so I'm rooting for him and Petty to step up.
    Hacks got the height, brains, arm and character you'd want, so hopefully the coaches can help him put it all together.

In meantime, get Fitz back in here!