Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

The difference is if you sign Brock you are hoping he turns into a franchise qb. Signing fitz is just a stop gap for a year maybe 2.

angryjetsfan likes this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well, if we are asking questions, I have a few :)

1) Geno @1.6 mil versus Fitz @ 12 mil. Who you got?
    2) Tank 2016 with Geno/Petty vs keep Fitz no matter what?
    3) Fitz@15 mil vs Brock @ 15 mil?

3. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Please send some of what your smoking, thanks.

4. nyjetsknicks247

1) fitz at 12
    2) tank
    3) neither

5. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

I just linked some gifs from the CBS article which show Fitz's limitations including his inability to go through progressions.

Decker wide open but Fitz never turns his head and stares down Marshall for an incompletion:

[​IMG]

Decker is open again but Fitz stares down a covered Marshall, and throws into traffic for no reason:
    [​IMG]

Fitz doesn't turn his head and misses the out route:
    [​IMG]

Same issue again and again: Fitz can't go through progressions.

#305 elgoman, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    angryjetsfan likes this.
  6. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

The article is somewhat inaccurate.

Running those two step drop plays in slow mo is somewhat deceptive. In real time there is no time to scan the field then throw, they're designed to take place almost immediately. Only when you slow them down does it appear Fitz had time to scan the field. Watch it in real time.

Some of the Fitz misses he is so critical on in that article were really actually good throws into tight coverage that the receivers didn't react to properly and subsequently dropped or tipped into interceptions.

The Jets were plagued with drops this year, so what's a QB in that situation going to do? He's going to chance throwing into coverage to the receivers more likely to catch it, that being Marshall or Decker. You saw this more in 3rd down situations, and that gives a better shot at converting.

7. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

Fitz does 3 step drops and he has time in the pocket to look for the bigger play inasmuch as he recognizes the receiver's leverage early and turns his head, same as Andy Dalton. Since Fitz lacks this ability and literally has to stare down half the field to understand it, it appears like he has no time. Dalton meanwhile goes through progressions efficiently and can throw deep. That's the difference.

Also, no, Fitz was just inaccurate in the article's gifs. Fitz literally threw into DB's hands and bodies, expecting receivers to bring the ball down.

#307 elgoman, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

2017 looks like the year to tank for the #1 pick at this point. I'd try to keep things sane next year and let events lead where they naturally will. I don't want to give up on the end of the Mangold-D'Brick-Marshall-Harris-Revis window early. There are too many key players who will mean nothing in 2017 and 2018 unless we get very lucky.

9. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

I was looking at a scope outside the gifs in the article from what I observed watching over the course of the entire season.

By looking for the big play you have to realize even if he sees it he doesn't always have the arm strength to deliver those throws and I'm sure he knows that to some degree.

I'm not saying he's great by any stretch though, he's at least serviceable if you understand his limitations.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You could pick out three plays from any NFL QB and do this.

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

1. Neither sign a FA. RG3 on a show me deal and let Petty back him up.

2. With Petty and our D it's almost impossible to tank, we would still win 5 games.

3. Neither I'll take Petty and draft a QB or sign a FA under 10.

12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

100% this year we got the team to go for it!

2017 Brick/Mangold/Marshall/Fitz (if resigned) will all be gone on O. That's pretty much the core. On D Harris and Revis will be cut most likely and Wilkerson/Richardson are going to be looking for mega deals that might not be in the cards.

2017 is the year to start the youth movement!

13. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

And despite of all that, I'd still rather have him as the starting QB than Geno. It doesn't matter Geno's potential btw no one will ever give him the opportunity to even try to replicate Fitz's numbers this year. 31 TD? For him it'll be only a dream.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The problem with Geno isn't that he sucked his rookie year. It's that he didn't improve after that; he sucked in his second year too, which is the big red flag for young QBs. On the other hand, Bortles and Carr didn't suck in their second year. And I'm not sure what game film you've been watching.

15. HomeoftheJets

16. HomeoftheJets

For those who want to let Fitz go to save cap space, remember that all the cap space in the world is useless if we can't sign anyone. And something tells me we'll have a hard time convincing players to come here when we have Geno atop the depth chart.

Big Blocker and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. angryjetsfan

angryjetsfan Active Member

Wow the delusional fitz love is high here.

Jets69 likes this.
  18. angryjetsfan

angryjetsfan Active Member

By every advanced metric Fitz was one of the worst Qb's in the NFl this year.

By the eye test, he looked average, but he cost the JEts 4 games with his trash play.

I love how you guys try to give him credit for wins but no credit for losses and try to come up with an excuse for why he fucked up and shit the bed at any big moment

elgoman likes this.
  19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Lol, so sorry Geno's Mom.

Your son sucks. He's not going to be the QB of the NY Jets.

Get used to it.

_

20. nyjetsknicks247

Win or lose I kuch rather watch fitz out there than geno. Fit isn't that good but plays 110 percent every play every game. Fuck geno