Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Just read that fucking Broncos are offering Osweiler $45M for three years.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I can find good and bad moments for any QB, but Geno's bad vastly outweighed the good, which is why I posted the worst one. In his two seasons starting in the league, Geno was a bottom 5 QB both times, which means he is very unlikely to become a decent starter. Most likely, if we let Fitz go we will have to start over again at QB, which is not easy, as we as Jets fans should know. By keeping Fitz, we get better QB play in the short term and increase the likelihood of getting a long term solution. That's because Fitz can help develop a draft pick and because if a decent QB from another team becomes available, he will be more likely to consider the Jets a respectable franchise and want to come here.

papapump likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

We need to see the structure of the contract offer. Total dollar amounts can be misleading, just look at Kaep in SF.

4. PabloJa

Good point, let me see if I can find out more about it.

5. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

Geno actually did better in his first 2 years than Fitz did in his first two years. Although the chances of Geno being a franchise QB are slim based on his first 2 years, the predictive nature of those years is mitigated by Geno's lack of healthy receivers and weapons. Few rookie QBs taken in the top 10 can elevate abeliw aveeage receiving corps, let alone a developing 2nd round QB like Geno.

His real potential hence is best measured by his current weapon-fitted performances, and those performances thus far have been good. To wit, Geno's ball placement in the second half of the Raiders' game was Bradfordesque. He looked like Bradford with a deep ball and faster feet at times (two reasons why Bradford isn't elite).

On tape Fitz meanwhile still looks like a QB with limited field vision, arm strength and placement getting pumped up by Gailey's system. Throwing a bunch of screens to move the ball and score TDs against the Pat's isn't worthy of resigning. Colt McCoy can do that.

The truth is thatif Mac thought Fitz was any better than a backup,Wilkerson's 15 mill would be going to Fitz in a deal or resigning by now. GMs don't dramatically lowball and let good QBs hit the open market like what Mac is reportedly doing.

#285 elgoman, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  6. PabloJa

Fitz > shit > Geno Smith
    Genobots were drunk when watching that Raiders game.

hwismer likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

I know Fitz was horrible in his first two years. He was an exception to the rule; counting on Geno to be another exception probably won't end well. Not sure what you were watching; Geno wasn't horrible against the Raiders, but he was clearly worse than Fitz.

8. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

Fitz still sucks--is accurate only in spurts, can't go through progressions fast enough, has no deep ball, doesn't see the field-- so he isn't an exception but other QBs might be. It depends on the QB and their circumstances. Both Bortles and Carr performed about as well (or as badly) as Geno advanced stats number wise in their first year. Then in 2015 Bortles performed about league average while Carr performed above that level.

Also, Fitz doesn't outperform Geno in terms of game film. In only one game Geno was about as good or better than Fitz in terms of deep ball accuracy, general ball placement and progression reads. In a nutshell this is why Mac probably won't resign Fitz. The whole "Fitz has better numbers" argument is nonsense. Fitz missed about 4 deep TDs in the last NE game(which in hit would have blown the Patriots out), won the game with Marshall bailout and screens, and garnered a 100+ QB rating. Colt McCoy can do the same.

#288 elgoman, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  9. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Fitz sucks? Exaggerate much? Best season from the QB position in I don't know how long. You don't have to bash Fitz in order to be a fan of Geno you know.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Fitz doesn't outperform Geno in terms of game film? I guess, maybe if you take 6 hits of acid before watching and can only focus on the players melting into the turf.

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm reading a Fitz vs Geno debate?!

Geno's football IQ is terrible. His decision making and the time he takes in the pocket going through progressions is not franchise worthy. He also struggled big time in setting up protections.

Fitz on the other hand has a quick release and goes through progressions quicker than I thought. His lack of arm strength and poor decisions at key moments are a cause of concern but he is a much more reliable option over Geno.

Chans offensive scheme depends on getting the ball out quick and setting up protections pre snap to give the QB/WR enough time to get open and make a play.

Fitz is a better option than Geno by a mile. I'm not sold he is best option in general but he is a much better option over Geno. It's not even close.

NYJetsO12 and papapump like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

One of the worst posts I've read in quite a bit. Reality still hasn't set in with some Geno fans yet I see. Maybe when he's jobless it'll hit them.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It took Tim Tebow three seasons after he effectively retired to decide that the CFL "might" be his best option. I'm thinking Geno will be there day one when he realizes he's not NFL-ready yet. Really he should go the Kurt Warner route and do Arena Football. That's the best training ground for an NFL QB who has problems making quick decisions in the pocket because you have 1-2-3 boom in that league.

14. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I get what the guy is saying but his almost oops plays were almost oops precisely because Fitzpatrick got the ball out so quickly. The staring down the slant play is particularly important here because Fitzpatrick takes a two step drop and throws the ball to the target. He couldn't have been looking to his left and released the football there. There wouldn't have been enough time to make the read when he looked back.

I'm not a "Ryan Fitzpatrick is a great QB guy". I think he is what he is, which is a serviceable vet QB for a team in need of leadership right now. He was that for the Texans in 2014 and for the Jets in 2015. I think he's likely to be that for the Jets in 2016. The personnel around him will dictate how far he can lead the Jets next year if they sign him. If there's any significant deterioration in the personnel on offense or defense he's not going to solve the problem for us. On the other hand if there's a significant pickup in capabilities, from somebody like Mauldin IV or Winters, well we might get lucky with a few good draft picks.

NYJetsO12 and Rockinz like this.
  16. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

Your post is ironically worse than mine but i digress. Go read the CBS article on Fitz and no doubt you'll see a similar assessment with film examples to prove. Or go read anyone's film study on Fitz --- they all basically say the same thing I have been saying about him. That's reality for you.

#296 elgoman, Mar 6, 2016
  17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

The main point and reality check for you...Geno will not be the man who wins the starting QB ever again for this team.

Comparing his numbers and performance to Fitz who had statistically the best season ever as a Jet in the position is asinine and ridiculous

Big Blocker and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

The issue is that Fitz consistently one-reads everything and misses receivers for big and bigger plays. The assertion that Fitz doesn't have time but other QBs do when they play is ludicrous. Fitz just doesn't know how to go through progressions efficiently. He will stare down a slant that isn't really open and attempt to throw it open for a (short) gain, rather than moving on and going through his progressions. In the below example Fitz misses two wide open receivers because he's staring down Marshall. That's it:

[​IMG]

He throws a lot of would-be interceptions:

[​IMG]

His receivers often save him (poor accuacy):

[​IMG]

Inasmuch as slant ability is concerned, Colt McCoy can stare down a slant, take a two step drop and hit the target. That's not a special QB skill, lol.

#298 elgoman, Mar 6, 2016
  19. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Here a question...... Let's say Fitz and Brock Osweiler are going to get equal money..... Which one should we go after?

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i'm taking the one that lets us structure the deal so we can bail out easily if said qb does not live up to expectations.