Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Well it's the best realistic option.

I wouldn't mind trading for Kaepernick, but I think..I'm pretty sure TGG would go bananas if it happened.

2. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Bradford ceiling isn't high anymore did will be lucky 2 play a full season.

3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick has had 1 good season in the last 6 or 7 years. He's had his share of injuries too remember.

4. nyjetsknicks247

Ya but what's stopping him from trying to cash in after this one good season? Nothing if the thinks he can break the bank why wouldn't he try

NYJalltheway likes this.
  5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I could be completely wrong on this one but I don't see the Bradford contract as an indication of what fitz will get. completely different situations imo

#205 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    All Gas No Shake likes this.
  6. Newyawka

Newyawka Member

At that price?Hell no...I mean who would be his big cash out team that will throw him that kind of money this offseason anyway?Who other than us is clamoring for Fitzpatrick to be this huge free agent target to lead their team to the promise land?Cleveland,Houston?? Here, he will be the #1 option with a receiving corps that love him,a competent gm,decent head coach and fan base that supports him.He finally found a place where hes had some success and a winning record so it should be in his best interest to get a deal done that pays him what he is worth and wont cripple the team so they can continue to succeed.

westiedog1 and Jets69 like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Because everything's not about money. He had a great year, the best of his career, I think. He has great receivers to throw to and an OC whose systems is almost perfect for him. He's never been to the playoffs and has a chance here. Will that $15 million a year make him happy when he's playing QB for the Browns?

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

That was my argument earlier, but it sucks that the Bradford trade moves the needle towards paying Fitz more (which it does). It limits their options in free agency and their ability to sign other guys like Snacks. Or worse case, your 2016 opening day starter, Geno Smith.

9. NCJetsfan

It definitely sucks, but that's life in the NFL and as a Jets fan. Just when things start to look up, we always get screwed in some form or fashion. How many teams would be stupid enough to pay Bradford that kind of money? Jeffrey Lurie (or whomever is the owner of the Eagles) is a moron. I hope the Eagles never win another game as long as he is the owner. I wouldn't pay Bradford 1/3 of what they're gonna pay him.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. nyjetsknicks247

Most of the time it's about the money

Ben Had likes this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

the rest of the time its about the money too

12. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Depends on the player, guess we are going to have to wait and see what RF cares about more, winning or money.

13. NCJetsfan

I agree, but occasionally there is someone who has different priorities.

14. nyjetsknicks247

Hopefully because we need a qb

15. NCJetsfan

Yep.

Didn't a high profile Chief or Bronco re-sign with his team last season for much less than he would have received in FA just so he could stay where he was because he was happy there? I remember hearing about him, but can't remember who it was.

16. PulseJet

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

18. PulseJet

Agreed, I dont consider Fitz as a 33 year old Quarterback "old." It depends if he can stay healthy. Rich Gannon had his best year in 2002 when he was 37. Brady is 38 and still going strong. Nothing preventing Fitz from having 5 good years from here. So the thought of giving him a three year contract isnt out of sorts. The only question is what is he worth and whether you can make the contract incentive laden for performance and reaching targets.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Re-signing Fitzpatrick gives the Jets a lot of slack in terms of finding the generational QB. A three or four year deal structured to spread out the cap hit is a definite possibility, even if it means he's the highest paid backup in the NFL for a year or two on the back end.

I'd use Fitzpatrick to rebuild the OL and find the QB and give the young guy the best chances to succeed.

20. Beki

Beki Active Member

Jason Cole of B/R reports that the Jets have made it very clear to QB Ryan Fitzpatrick that they want him to be their starting quarterback in 2016.

While this appears to be a great sign for him being back with the Jets, Cole adds that the Jets’ offers don’t reflect this kind of commitment in terms of the salary they’re offering to Fitzpatrick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...at-right-price-teammates-hoping-to-add-new-qb