Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Ya sign Fitz and either draft Connor Cook or sign RG3 as a back up.

2. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

What were you guys thinking as far as contract numbers if you had to take a guess? I was thinking 3 yr 30M.. about 17-18M guaranteed. 3rd year team option which SHOULDNT have to be paid b/c Bryce has got to be ready (if he'll ever be ready) to step in and take over by then.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A big NO to Connor Cook.

NYJalltheway and TNJet like this.
  4. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I posted this on the first page of the thread:

I have a bad feeling he'll fetch an absurd offer. Unless a team is willing to give him a longer-term higher guarantee deal, which I'm not sure anybody will, I see his average salary on the higher side. Looking at comps, if we can get him at Hoyer money (about $5.5mil per), we'd be in great shape. I doubt that happens. If we're looking at Foles/Bradford sized deals (about $13mil per), I'm on the fence. If we're looking at Tannehill/Cutler/Smith money ($17mil+ per), I feel we have to let him walk, and take the 2017 third round compensatory pick. While I'm not a fan of Kaepernick, at that level of money, I'd rather gamble on some higher upside, and a potential long-term solution.

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

This.

_

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

;)

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No to RG3, but I don't mind Cook as a 2nd round selection. I'm starting to like the Zeke Elliot at 20 thing. Especially if certain players are off the board.

8. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

This is not a bad post overall but.....
    I am as much of a homer as anyone but this franchise is not poised for a SB win ATM. Perhaps in time if/when our new GM/HC duo have had the time to instill a winning ethic then ok.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

No, but at his age, does he want to go to the Bucks? Does he want to bounce around to some other crap team chasing money? The Jets are not a terrible team, they could have made noise this year if they played just a little better in a couple of games. We could make noise this year as well, anything could happen. I think the Jets are as good a team as Denver was this year... maybe almost as good.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  10. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think Fitz stays and the Jets wont need to break the bank to keep him. When he played in Houston, he put up similar numbers as he did on the Jets, but was flushed for a 7th round pick. As a New York Jet he's cooking with his wife on the Rachel Ray show and acting in a wig on the Jimmy Fallon show. He is an example to the whole league that being in the New York market and playing even decently (and also being a decent guy) gets you a ton of great exposure.

Fitz is an articulate, thoughtful guy. It seems he enjoys the limelight. I can see him getting into broadcasting like Brandon some day. But only if he stays in NY. If he takes the money and goes to another team its back to obscurity.

11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I want him back but at the right price. A lot of ppl here seem to want him back at all cost. He played great but he is not worth a bad contract. I'd be willing to suffer a bad year next season if it meant building long term properly

12. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Nobody will want him. Fitz is a system player.

13. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Ye gads...I wouldn't have thought..:eek::rolleyes:o_Oo_O

14. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

if fitz walks for more money then so be it...

you dont throw money at him early to lock him down when we have better players that need to be signed. fitz isnt some longterm solution. we shouldnt throw away the future of this team because fitz had a good year last season. this isnt a win now team. mean we have the ability to make the playoffs, but we need to be thinking sustainable long term successs... not a 2 year run at maybe winning the wildcard before going back to cap hell and watching guys like mo and shelly go to other teams

15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

id give him 6-8 million. if he walks he walks

Donttasemebro likes this.
  16. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Mrs Fitz tired of moving with 5 kids. So thats that folks

TNJet likes this.
  18. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Maybe we can get Crazy Eddie in SF to trade Blaine Gabbert to us for Geno Smith.

P.S. resign Fitzy

19. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm not comfortable letting him go, because I dont think there is an alternative QB on the roster. Maybe I'll change my mind after watching Petty in preseason, or perhaps we'll find another Fitz-ish QB as a FA.

Having said that, cant break the bank for him.

20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

It's doubtful Petty will be ready to start before next season, so it's beneficial in the short term and long term to resign Fitz. 2 years 14-16m should do it. MM has already stated that he wants to have veterans at each position to mentor their eventual replacements. Fitz knows the system and has a great WR tandem. Bringing him back should be #1 priority. The Jets haven't had QB play like that since Namath.