Damon Harrison's value

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rsmehta, Jan 5, 2016.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Who is? When he played for the Jets, he was dominating with a capital D. Unfortunately, and typical for this franchise, he didn't last long.

heartpumpsgreen likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Exactly my point. I hope you understand where I am coming from in relation to Snacks and how much money people think we should resign him for.

Damn shame too he didn't last, because he was dominating before he got hurt. Imagine if he stayed healthy in 2009 or 2010?

3. 101GangGreen101

Dontari Poe (Chiefs) is the best nose tackle in the league, he plays every snap and is very athletic. The #s don't show it but he did have 6 sacks last season too.

4. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

So if your a good run-stuffer and can occasionally rush the qb effectively, your worth $13-15 mil
    --------------------------

If you are the best NT in the league at stuffing the run, and are one of the key reasons for your team being the #1 run D, you are replaceable because you only play 2 downs??
    ----------------------------

Our defense this year was stellar because of stuffing the run. The only way teams ever ran on us is if they went outside.

Our pass rush/secondary were above average at best, and our lb's were down right terrible.

Just as much credit Revis gets as a shut-down corner, Williams/snacks duo make for a "shutdown run-stuffer" which has a lot more value to our team than people give them credit for.

We are an average Defense without the play of snacks/Williams. They are the only consistently elite players we had on Defense throughout the season.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

You can imagine a lot of things with the Jets, but not much in reality, LOL. Understand your point, but that is not to say Harrison is not one of the best NT's in the league. I think he is.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

For a 2-down NT? No thanks. I like Snacks a lot, but he generates zero pressure on opposing QBs.

7. NCJetsfan

I basically agree with you except your comment about Snacks possibly having more potential than Mo? Sorry, but that's just absurd.

Mo is the Jets' best defensive player and maybe best player overall. I would hate to lose him, but think we probably will because of the cap and he seems to be demanding too much money. I would hope to keep Snacks, but it depends upon what he will want money-wise, and how much the Jets like Deon Simon. The Jets' big problem is at LB...their slow foot speed, lack of coverage ability, and lack of ability to generate consistent pressure. If they lose Mo and can keep Snacks at a reasonable cost, great, I'd love it, but they may wind up losing both. If it would take losing both Mo and Snacks for the Jets to sign Vonn Miller, I'd be all for it.

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

6M is the max i'd consider, and is a pretty fair value.
    he's been getting better every year. hope we can retain him..

9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Tag Mo and sign D..and trade richardson.

10. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Teams could have signed him in the offseason for a 2nd round pick, nobody bothered. He's a great NT but he's a 1-2 down player, those guys don't have much value. Whether it's pure pass rushers or pure run stoppers. He's probably gonna get 5-6 mil. from somebody annually next season, I just hope it's not the Jets.

11. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

Why don't those guys have a lot of value??

Excluding Watt/Donald, I'd much rather have a elite pure pass rusher and a elite pure run stopper, rather than someone who does both.

12. NCJetsfan

Because for years teams have signed older, overweight guys and stuck them at NT and they played at a pretty high level because they occupied 2 blockers and clogged the middle. Also, the NFL is not a running league any more. If you haven't noticed, far fewer RBs are taken in the 1st round. They are devalued. The NFL is a passing league now. Unless an NT can generate consistently solid pressure on opposing QBs up the middle, he just doesn't have that much value.

13. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Well, those guys are playing only half the snaps at best so that kills most of their value. Plus it's easier to game plan for those one dimensional guys or avoid those guys (running away from Snacks, running into Mauldin). Whenever they step on the field you know what they're going to do and you know what the defense is thinking. If Snacks is out there the defense is going to play the run, they expect you to run. If Mauldin is out there they know you're gonna throw and that's what their call is going to be. Now you can just audible to a run and go right at Mauldin and get 4-5 easy yards probably.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to re-sign Snacks but he's gonna get every down type money from somebody else in FA when he's just a run stopper.

14. 101GangGreen101

If the Jets could get their hands on Von Miller, I would shit my pants, I could care less about Snacks and I would say bye bye to MO anyday. If Peyton were balling still and the Broncos wanted to keep his contract [prior to the pay-cut last season], there would be a chance we could get Von Miller.

It won't happen now, not a chance in hell because the cap is increasing and there's no way the Broncos pay Peyton that much cash.

15. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Which player do I want to keep?

Player A - 26 years old, 64 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, 12 sacks, 7 passes defended

Player B - 27 years old, 72 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 0.5 sacks

Give me Player A all day. A player who is above average at run stuffing and top tier pass defense is much more valuable than a player who is top tier at run stuffing and non-existent on passing plays.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

All things being equal you would be correct but if player A wants $60 mil over 5 years I sign him. If he wants the same $60 mil over four years he can pound sand.

Meanwhile player B might be had for $5 mil per year ($20 mil over 4 years) leaving us with $40 mil to spend on our other needs.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  17. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

We need all the help we can humanly get on passing downs. If we let Wilk go, we'll have the worst pass rush in the NFL.

18. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

Kris Jenkins was a MONSTER for us too bad he didn't stay healthy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

19. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

With Richardson & Williams still on their rookie deals, I'd prefer to keep Snacks and use Mo's money to upgrade another position. MoWilk is the more valuable player on the field but he's going to command a lot more money too. This team has too any holes and the Jets have to improve some of these weak links because they're game wrecking. Both OT spots and RG need improving. Mangold is also one year older. RB is also a big weakness (assuming that Ivory & maybe Powell are gone). TE is weak & there needs to be some type of upgrade on the bottom of the roster to improve special teams. This defense badly needs speed on the edges too.

There's no way Mac is going to resolve this with one draft. Not sure if two draft will be enough to close these holes either. If Jets need to get quality FA to close these holes, they need money to spend. Years of not picking OL or LB are really hurting this team right now.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

You gonna blow all your cash on Matt Forte instead? Throwing money away at a FA has never won a team a SB. Gotta keep the prime talent in-house. Mo has the leadership and credibility in stats.