Damon Harrison's value

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rsmehta, Jan 5, 2016.

1. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

Am I the only one that thinks we should let Mo walk and keep Damon Harrison??

What an amazing story, and what an amazing season from snacks.

Strong defenses are predicated on stopping the run on early downs and creating pressure/turnovers on later downs.

Leonard Williams/Snacks should become our dline anchors for the future and our focus should be on DE/LB's in the offseason to create pressure for opposing qb's.

john law, villano5, LIJetsFan and 5 others like this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I agree!

Snacks single handily allows the other men to do what they do. Clogging the middle, stuffing the run (often times in the backfield), demanding dbl teams 50% of the snaps, etc. He's our Wilfork in the middle and just as valuable as Wilk or Leonard on the outsides.

I don't know what kind of 'mega contract' he could demand, but he WILL get paid somewhere. Hopefully it's right here.

Oh...and he also makes life easier for our middle LBers. Which in turn could allow Bowles/Macc to draft a much leaner, faster middle LBer capable of keeping up with TEs and RBs.

greaser, LIJetsFan, macbk and 3 others like this.
  3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well the Seasons done and thank goodness we are tuning into the Mike MacCagnan show. He gets us the players we need no doubt

Yes Harrison will be signed and even Brain Fart Bowles can see that we need him. Kacy and TBs game plans are in quicksand right now

5. Jedabe

Jedabe Active Member

If Wilk cant be had, Snacks HAS to be signed. Not sure if I can say that Wilk is less valuable, but if he can net significant return in a tag & trade then I do think the additional pick(s) paired with Snack's smaller salary will be the better option in the long run.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  6. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Nope. Snacks is a key to this defense.

James Hasty and IDFjet like this.
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Absolutely (I want Mo back too, of course). Losing him would be a bigger problem than losing Mo, however. He's probably the league's best NT and is vital to the success of this defense.

According to overthecap, the highest paid 3-4 NT earns an average of 4.5m per year. He'll be affordable and must be a priortiy

IDFjet likes this.
  8. Jedabe

Jedabe Active Member

So what would be fair for Snacks? Assuming he is in fact the best NT in the league then hes worth about $6m?
    If so, we should be all over that.

9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I just think what makes the most sense from a logical standpoint is to pay Mo and Snacks their worth and trade away Richardson. You don't have this franchise tag mess and what have you. Richardson is also on his rookie deal for a few more years. Essentially the team we are trading him to gets an elite 3-4 DE for a reasonable price. Then we are set with a ballin D-line with Mo, Snacks, Williams for the next 5+ years.

rammagen, IDFjet, rohirrim665 and 3 others like this.
  10. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I think it all depends on what snacks is asking for TBH. Can't go dumping 7-8 mill into a player that's only gonna be in on obvious running downs. i dont get how some of you guys are saying he hold more value to this defense than Mo that's crazy talk. I love snacks to death but i'd never let go of mo just so i can re-sign snacks thats just backwards. You go all in for Mo and if Snacks takes a team friendly deal to continue a great DL than so be it. If not we have other beasts that can take his spot for a play or 2 in the middle and THEN go back to the end or OLB (if it's sheldon) on passing downs. We have guys that can somewhat make up for Snacks.. Snacks can't make up for anyone else though. Just trying to be logical.. but with that being said... hope we find a way to keep em all. For at least another 2 years

11. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Or this is fine too.. i'd have no problem with us trading sheldon for a first and some other lower rounders. Even though he's worth more than just a first he has some baggage idk if teams will throw the farm for em.

12. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

It's an interesting proposal.

I'm in the camp of thought that Harrison is good because of who is playing around him. Not because of who he is.

I guess we'll find out soon if that is true or not.

13. Jedabe

Jedabe Active Member

Dont see how this make sense considering cap space is the issue. All it is does trade away a cheaper and not greatly less productive player with arguably more potential than Mo, so that we would be in the exact same boat this year- not being able to pay both FA lineman

LIJetsFan likes this.
  14. James Hasty

$4-7 mil per year seems fair to me. Lock him up for the next 5-6 years.

15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

here's the thing...Snacks is playing alongside Mo Wilk and Sheldon (before this year) and was playing with Leonard Williams added to the fray. So is he a product of the players around him...Wilkerson was getting doubled a lot at times...Sheldon is a beast. Leonard came on strong. My feeling is he maybe the guy you can replace the easiest. And I know Snacks worth...he was the best NT in the league. But can you afford to keep him, while paying Wilkerson (the BEST on the line)? and possibly Sheldon down the road? Decisions decisions...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I'm never going to be able to find this quote but in Bowles' press conference last week he raved about Deon Simon's (2015 7th round pick- NT) development on the practice squad. I think they might opt for him as a cheaper alternative since he's getting paid like a day 3 pick while Snacks would need a substantial raise.

17. James Hasty

You run straight at him and see how many yards you get.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Too bad he is COMPLETELY useless on passing downs. Why would the Jets pay 7M / yr for a 2 down lineman?

Find a replacement for Snacks, and run more 4 man fronts to offset the loss of Snacks.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's no Kris Jenkins.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This. Run stuffing nose tackles that can't rush the passer are way too replaceable for us to shell out big money to Snacks. We moved on seemlessly from Kris Jenkins to Sione Pouha (over the past decade mind you) who were both All-Pros at stuffing the run and ended up with zero drop off to UDFA Harrison.

We'd be fools to give him anymore than $4 mill a year IMO.