One thing I never want to hear again...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CrusHaN30, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'm fine with our defense, personnel wise. Schematically, I'm never going to get why we don't throw a body on a guy like Watkins at the line and double him down the field.

Big Blocker likes this.
  2. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

More like their inability to stop the Buffalo running game, and unwillingness to admit Revis shouldn't be singled on Watkins.

3. VT16

VT16 Member

Agreed, although I do think Maccagnan needs to do some major upgrades at LB. That group, moreso than the rest of the roster, needs to get younger and faster in a hurry. I think we can get by with the current group of LBs for another year, but they need an infusion of youth there to help out and give Bowles more options on defense.

NYJetsO12 and Br4d like this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I didn't even read this thread, I clicked on it and saw this and said... Yup.

5. GGusta

GGusta Member

I'd be very surprised if
    a) he is coaching buff. in 5 years
    b) he ever gets another head coach job after buff.

He's a human circus and seems more interested in his celebrity and being a clown than making a serious run into the playoffs. Too much like hard work.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Bowles and Maccagnan have an off-season to retool the defense to work in Bowles scheme. The personnel this year were still designed for Rex's schemes and since 2011 Rex's defenses have had trouble getting off the field on 3rd down. You have to have at least one high quality LB with speed or you get burned by the backs, TE's and mobile QB's.

The Jets really need a good cover linebacker in the middle of the field. The Panthers defense is where it is today because they went out and got the glue guy in Kuechly. A 4-3 and a 3-4/4-6 are different but you can't afford to have all your motors attached to 290-315 lb guys. Those guys can't cover the backs and TE's and the mobile QB's can run away from them.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Can I permaban you when Rex gets fired 2 seasons from now? Your prediction is absolutely based on nothing. Rex didn't do anything today to make me think he can win a SB. The Jets shot themselves in the foot multiple times.... 22 yard punt from the end zone. Richardson jumping offsides on 4th down, Bullock missed FG, Fitz INT in the end zone. The Jets should have won this game by 13 points but they made far too many mistakes. Buffalo didn't do anything special other than make fewer mistakes in a bad game.

8. Br4d

All the Jets had to do was smother Watkins with a double team and the Bills score 10 points tops in the game.

jdon and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

What this game did is reinforce the obvious which is we need to overhaul the LB'r position BIGTIME .
    Mauldin looks like he may be productive but watching Harris try to cover makes me SICK.

Davis can walk as far as I'm concerned, he's taken the baton from Kyle Wilson when he left and thumps his chest when he has nothing to do with making a play.
    We need FAST LB'rs, guys that can cover and play sideline to sideline.

Biggest mistake was making Revis cover Watkins on his own. He's the only weapon Buffalo has with McCoy being hurt and should have been doubled and jammed at the los on every play.

We need to find a way to get consistent pressure on the QB because for all the ass kissing this D-line gets it doesn't come close to being as disruptive as it should be on paper.

NYJetsO12, VT16 and Br4d like this.
  10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

You are right about or LB's, Henderson showed some potential but Harris and Davis need to go. Harris has always been overrated by Jet fans and I'm not sure why. He's good but has never been great and definitely not elite. He does one thing well and that's stop the run although he got blown up today in a crucial third down. He can't cover, he can't rush the QB so you are paying this guy a ton of money to stop the RB.

Davis has never lived up to being a 3rd round pick. He's a guy who had Rex blowing smoke up his ass but hasn't ever shown signs of being a good LB. Maybe a decent one but not the guy we all hoped he would be. It's been a long time the Jets have had a great LB and we've had some good ones. I really miss the days of Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones.

11. jco2007

jco2007 Active Member

Maybe not by your standards, but by NFL standards it is a good D. Watch some other NFL games and see how bad other defenses are. A bad defense doesn't rank top 3 in turnovers and top 10 in all other categories. We were also a top defense in 3rd down conversion % (in the 3-5 range I think). Sure they didn't play great today, but overall it's a solid D.

12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Greg Salas

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

14. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

i agree 100 precent - he was the epitome of terrible today, maybe he can get his next big contract playing in cleveland

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

In addition, the lack of a sustained pass rush allowed Watkins additional time (and space) to run a tentative Revis off him on deeper downfield routes.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Br4d

I'm going to bet that Revis is ranked in the top 10 CB's by both PFF and FBO when they do their final rankings for the year. Maybe not, because he had a couple of bad games this season but he's still about as good as it gets.

He's slowing down some and like Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson before him the Jets are going to have to make some adjustments in how they use him. Darrell Green is the only CB I can recall that kept all his wheels until mid-30's.

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Why wait? No one will miss him.

_

19. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

This defense is an excellent unit. Let's not overreact.
    You can pin 2 losses on them all season. They were awful against the Raiders, and unfortunately, they were also awful today. Despite all the whining and bitching after this loss, we have a good football team on both sides of the ball. I don't think we need to change much at all. A couple of moves and we'll be right back at it next year in playoff contention again.

The biggest problem on the team by far is the ST. Once again they cost us points. This time you can call it 10 with the missed FG and the 21 yard punt which lead to a TD. Even if the D came up big after the Quigley abortion and held them to 3, it would still amount to 6 points. Enough to lose the game. Very difficult to win games, when your ST is working against you week after week.

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Greg Salas
    Rec
    Tgt Yds Avg Long TD FL
    3 5 41 13.7 20 0 0

3 catches for 41 yards does not sound like Cro got burned to me.